• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wanting a solo canoe

I tried the Echo, and liked it, but very heavy to portage. May not be a factor for your tripping.

I tried the Echo, and liked it, but very heavy to portage. May not be a factor for your tripping.
Supposedly, the Echo only weighs 45 lbs. Twenty years ago, I would have thought nothing of portaging that. I've portaged heavier tandems. Now it would give me pause. I knew some guy that took his Discovery 169 to the Boundary Waters.
I think I've done my last BWCAW trip. I had every intention of using the North Wind for trips down western rivers, but the more I think about it, the crazier that seems. I took a Wenonah Encounter down the Green River, twice, and it worked out pretty well, so maybe I've just lost my nerve, but I keep picturing my carbon/Kevlar North Wind smacking a rock or getting handled roughly by some jet boat crew, and I start drooling over pictures of the Echo. Being shorter and having a little more rocker, the Echo would handle mild whitewater a lot better too. I would advise anyone that plans on using their solo for river tripping to consider the Echo, rather than some ultralight composite boat.

I portaged a Mad River Horizon 17 in Royalex about 80 miles through the BWCA. That was 20 years ago. No more.

Attachments

• 061505 Vacation 010.jpeg
    061505 Vacation 010.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 11
Supposedly, the Echo only weighs 45 lbs. Twenty years ago, I would have thought nothing of portaging that. I've portaged heavier tandems. Now it would give me pause. I knew some guy that took his Discovery 169 to the Boundary Waters.
I think I've done my last BWCAW trip. I had every intention of using the North Wind for trips down western rivers, but the more I think about it, the crazier that seems. I took a Wenonah Encounter down the Green River, twice, and it worked out pretty well, so maybe I've just lost my nerve, but I keep picturing my carbon/Kevlar North Wind smacking a rock or getting handled roughly by some jet boat crew, and I start drooling over pictures of the Echo. Being shorter and having a little more rocker, the Echo would handle mild whitewater a lot better too. I would advise anyone that plans on using their solo for river tripping to consider the Echo, rather than some ultralight composite boat.
Where are you located IS? We western canoeists are pretty rare. What rivers, and sections, are you planning to run ? I mostly paddle the Green and Colorado, but would like to do the Dolores and San Juan again. Northstar Phoenix IXP and a kevlar Mad River Malacite are my main go to solo boats now.

Some real world composite canoes vs. rocky rivers from Bear at Northstar canoe:

I've taken my composites in rocky rivers and rapids and they've gotten many bangs, scratches, and gouges. They've all survived and looked the better for it.

This was a new composite after 43 days in northern Canada doing a lot of river travel:

Dynel stems were fine:

Alan

Bear is one of a very few people I know that could scratch the heck out of their brand new canoe and not be concerned, and claim it as a business expense to boot.

What did you wind up getting? I have both a Peregrine and a NW Solo...Sorry I'm late to the convo!

Ended up ordering a Peregrine, premium + hull in sage green with dropped seat mounts installed and kneeling seat mount set on the side. hopefully will have it in April. Will be hitting the water for some serious bass fishing this spring/summer.
Dealing with Mr. Curtis was great, took the boat for a test drive last fall and enjoyed it immensely.

Ended up ordering a Peregrine, premium + hull in sage green with dropped seat mounts installed and kneeling seat mount set on the side. hopefully will have it in April. Will be hitting the water for some serious bass fishing this spring/summer.
Dealing with Mr. Curtis was great, took the boat for a test drive last fall and enjoyed it immensely.
I love that color! Good choice!

Mike

Excellent choice in boat, congrats! My friend got her Eaglet in sage and it is beautiful. I have a Peregrine in the premium+ layup I got back in September 2020. It is currently setup for sitting but I have the kneeling drops. I prefer to kneel but my knees right now don't love it. Hope to remedy that in the future? As a matter of fact I was talking to Dave on the phone this past Monday. Going to be heading out to Hemlock early spring with another canoe for him to work so magic on hopefully!Peregrine Kodachrome_01S.jpg

That’ll be a gorgeous boat!

Looking forward to this one - kind of a retirement gift to myself. Also can take it out myself when others gotta go to work!!
If you go to the Hemlock Peregrine webpage there is a picture of a Kestrel in the sage green - the peregrine should look the same

I told my wife she should be grateful my mid life crisis consists of splurging on canoes and paddles. And I get to look forward to retirement canoes too!

Back