• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

VIDEO: Thoughts on the Bug Chaps

Reaction score
Short video about my rather limited experience with the bug chaps. Didn't use them much, but thats good because it means the bugs weren't out.

Oh heck yeah! I like the proof of rudimentary concept. I have gobs of no-see-um netting cut from a defunct 2-room cabin wall tent. Even with my hatred of sewing I might have to try.

Definitely longer, down to shoe top level, with a closure at the bottom. The I Dream of Genie no-taper look may be advantageous, making them easier to put on while wearing shoes. You didn’t fall over in the video (unless there are out-takes) and that alone, being able to slip on bug leggings in seconds, standing in camp or even seated in the canoe, seems a boon.

Fark, sewing. I need to pull those giant cabin tent window no-see-um netting scraps from the junk box. I cut them out with a border of the hemmed nylon fabric intact all around. Chaps could be tough to downsize; maybe a mosquito-proof snuggie or ballroom gown for camp use.

Yeah, I would tear them to shreds busting through greenbriar or underbrush. I tend to tear up rain pants in that guise, but the chaps go on and wide-taper off in seconds, so that would be bearably avoidable.

Seriously, I think the concept has merit to further develop. Lightweight, tiny packable, easy on/off.

A no-see-em ballroom gown would be impenetrable as well as fashionable. :)

My problem is I that I don't think I have large enough pieces of scrap left to make some proper ones, so I'll have to order more netting to make another pair.

Or they could double as sleeves. Rig them like Shug Emery over on HF does his down sleeves with your belt hooks behind your shoulder blades. When you have shorts and a hoody, put them on as chaps, jeans and a tshirt? Use them as sleeves!

Well done

Jason

Last edited:
A no-see-em ballroom gown would be impenetrable as well as fashionable. :)

My problem is I that I don't think I have large enough pieces of scrap left to make some proper ones, so I'll have to order more netting to make another pair.
That already exists. The Susie Bug Net. It snags on everything. But as its not pants the sand flies come up from the bottom up the dress.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/susiebug.htm

Back