• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Varnish stripper suggestion

I think I would just sand it down well enough to re coat, unless you've got major issues with the varnish that's on it now.

No Title

It's a Chestnut Chum I just picked up. There is very little varnish inside I believe. It was flaking off very easily. I was able to just slide w plastic scraper between the ribs and it's very clean.
I like the idea of just using new varnish. Will be patient and show it to Robin soon for his opinion. Thanks for the idea

Attachments

• photo7460.jpg
    photo7460.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7461.jpg
    photo7461.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1
We use a product called Circa 1800. It is strong stuff but works good. Use it outdoors if you can...in the shade... or wear a respirator. Failing that, if you can access industrial automotive paint stripper ( a tip from Pam) that works great.

Thing is, if the varnish if flaking then you pretty much will have to strip and recoat. This will lose some of the patina. Try to use Epifanes to reapply as it will turn amber after a couple of years. Dont cheap out on the varnish. We have used Helmsman for the primer coats and that seems to work well. Thin it a bit and the wood will soak it up fast. Finish up with the Epifanes.

I had my Huron out again yesterday and even after two trips it still has that new varnish smell.

Congrats on finding a chum. I went with the Huron, which I do like.

Christy

No Title

Thanks for everyone's advise. I started to tackle the job today. The inside ends are a pain so in saving that for tomorrow. Plus another second gallon to be used on the rest of the boat. I will do my best but since it's my boat I'm sure at the end of the day I will be satisfied and content. Nasty stuff, I leaned against the boat and could feel the heat from the liquid getting on my leg. Did purchase a respirator as not to pass out and have flashbacks from the 70's and 80's!

Attachments

• photo7488.jpg
    photo7488.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7489.jpg
    photo7489.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7490.jpg
    photo7490.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks good! Removing that old varnish gives you a good idea of the condition of the ribs and plank. Don't be rough on the plank, as in going cross grain with something rough like a metal scraper. Let the remover do the work, it might take many coats for the tough spots.

... and have flashbacks from the 70's and 80's!

When we camped during the winter, we both were very definitely 'tripping' in the 70's and 80's. Funny though, but I don't remember that you were wearing a respirator then?! :rolleyes:

Nice deal on the boat, I know you were really set on getting a new wooden craft; many happy and contented hours of paddling are ahead of you I believe.

Gee I just wrote a whole paragraph and it's gone. Warning, do not get lazy and take off safety goggles even when shop vacuuming the dust out of the boat! Spec in the eye, fire! Holy crap did that burn. Follow the directions of others, patience and when tired, stop and rest! Stupid is what stupid does. I seem to follow that phrase to often now a days. Best to all.

Wow that sounds like a close one. I've had a similar event a looong time ago. Be careful out there.
I bought a new brand of stripper to try out on that 16' Old Town I bought last fall but I haven't tried it yet. It comes with a spray bottle. I'm hoping it will be easier than brushing that stuff. I forget the name but I'll look after lunch when it get back to the shop.
I also use stainless steel pot scrubbers for wiping up the softened varnish, rinsing out in fresh water occasionally.
Jim

Back