• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Trying to be open minded here; what saw do you bring.....

I have done a lot of tree pruning and there are some great small Japanese pruning saws that come with a sheath that would work fine for most camp chores. I have never carried one, and rarely use an axe or saw, but I bring them just the same.

If you're batoning 2"-4" logs with a 4-6" knife, you're probably ok with a 8"-10"- bladed saw... Bahco makes one called the Laplander that's perfect. The Fiskars pruning saw is also nice, though mine only works on the pull stroke, which drives me nuts. For the connoisseur, Silky makes wonderful saws (though pricey).

If you're using a hatchet and processing wood 6"-8" thick, a folding 24" bucksaw would be a better choice.

I tried different saw's a have moved to a Bob's saw a couple years ago thanks to YC's recommendation.

My saw history is thus:

1. Sven Saw. Good basic saw, but with the limitations already noted. My 1968 model had developed a sideways curve to the backbone, so I switched to

2. Sawvivor. Fine saw. No parts to lose like the Sven (OK - technically one could lose the blade). I have the smaller size which works well for most logs.

3. Bobs Bucksaw. Little experience wit it, but it tensions the blade well and melts through even larger logs. My favorite.

Jim

I use a 21" bow saw bought from a local hardware store, but what you use is what is best for you.

Back