• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Traditional wood canvas canoe build in Sweden video

Great video. Thanks for sharing that with all us non-Facebook folks. Had to laugh at the dog. As soon as the canvas was laid out on the floor he had to lie down on it. Such a dog thing to do; at least my dog would do it!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Listened for it but never heard "Robin." I'm pretty sure I heard something at 1.08 that we could all understand (LOL).

Interesting!! That will be my next big project after the shop is done and I made a bit of money...

Look like they Tarred the canvas and then varnish below the water line?!?!?!

Tar the outside of the canvas and the traditional method of varnish on the wood interior. Interesting to see in the paddling portion is the hull finish is just tar, no paint or fanciness. Utilitarian only. I know of some who use basement sealer to seal the canvas and just oil paint can be used. Never thought of tar, it is plentiful and inexpensive.

That was a real nice film. Thanks Tom, thanks Robin.
I've seen trip reports from Rogen Sweden before. Beautiful small lakes country.

Tar the outside of the canvas and the traditional method of varnish on the wood interior. Interesting to see in the paddling portion is the hull finish is just tar, no paint or fanciness. Utilitarian only. I know of some who use basement sealer to seal the canvas and just oil paint can be used. Never thought of tar, it is plentiful and inexpensive.

If you look closely, when they put the canoe on the car, you can see that the portion below the water line is shinier than the rest of the canvas, I assume they put something else than tar on that part... Maybe I'm wrong... I don't know!

If you look closely, when they put the canoe on the car, you can see that the portion below the water line is shinier than the rest of the canvas, I assume they put something else than tar on that part... Maybe I'm wrong... I don't know!

yep, you are correct. shellac? varnish? epoxy?

This is the answer I got from Jolanda Linschooten
The coating was two or three layers of tar, mixed with varnish on a 50/50 base. Above waterline is finished with a layer of varnish. Below waterline is finished with one layer of (red) shellack on ethanol base, which is even more waterproof and easy to repair scratches.

Back