• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Custom Wood Canvas Canoe Restoration

Reaction score
I have been busy restoring this old custom wood canvas canoe for a couple that needed a hand with bringing their canoe back to life. The canoe desperately needed sheer planking repair, stem repair/ replacement, new canvas, 42 rib tops and outwales. The canoe is presently in the 30 day curing phase of the traditional canoe filler purchased from Northwoods Canoe Co. The final part/ video will include the finishing touches and delivery on this canoe. I am still learning to speak to a camera and sometimes I know I talk too much but all in all this has been a fun project and I have attempted to capture significant details with the restoration. I wouldn’t be doing any of this if it wasn’t for Robin Lauer. He inspired me to learn and to get my hands dirty with this type of work. Thanks Robin!

WOOD CANVAS CANOE RESTORATION PART 1

Wood Canvas Canoe Restoration Part 2

You did a really nice job making the video, the editing, narration, and camera shots are very good imo. The stem work tutorial @ 38.00 of the first video is very clear and informative, this should be very helpful to amateur canoe restorers for years to come. I learned a lot from it, as I did with the rib tips too, again this is a great teaching video on how to do it.
Thanks for the shout-out, and Thanks again for making such a helpful video for future DIY wood canvas restorers.

You did a really nice job making the video, the editing, narration, and camera shots are very good imo. The stem work tutorial @ 38.00 of the first video is very clear and informative, this should be very helpful to amateur canoe restorers for years to come. I learned a lot from it, as I did with the rib tips too, again this is a great teaching video on how to do it.
Thanks for the shout-out, and Thanks again for making such a helpful video for future DIY wood canvas restorers.
Appreciate it Robin! Hopefully some will find it helpful just as many of the published topics on canoetripping.net have helped me along the way.

Wow, very informative, and well explained. I have a 75th anniversary Peterborough that I've wanted to do a full restoration on for years. It's been sitting in the rafters of my pole barn for about 10 years now, and I've been afraid I'd turn a marginally useable heirloom into a pile of firewood. I certainly need to watch the videos again a few times before starting, but I think you've given me the courage to take it on.

Thanks for taking the time to create these videos. Extremely helpful!

Thank you very much for the videos…I have really benefited from these informative episodes.…. As I commented on your video, the stem trick worked great! Between your videos and the kind guidance I have received from members here, my restoration has been much smoother than anticipated. So thank you again!
I’ll be looking forward to you next installment
DT

Wow, very informative, and well explained. I have a 75th anniversary Peterborough that I've wanted to do a full restoration on for years. It's been sitting in the rafters of my pole barn for about 10 years now, and I've been afraid I'd turn a marginally useable heirloom into a pile of firewood. I certainly need to watch the videos again a few times before starting, but I think you've given me the courage to take it on.

Thanks for taking the time to create these videos. Extremely helpful!
When I built my first cedar strip canoe, CanoeTripping.net was extremely helpful and I because of this I also wanted to contribute in any way possible so that others can also receive a different perspective, tips or tricks to tackle a big restoration project. Comments like these make it all worth it and I am very pleased that the videos helped you. Best of luck with your project. I also recommend the books "This Old Canoe" by Mike Elliott and "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow. Great resource for the tasking you are about to take on.

Thank you very much for the videos…I have really benefited from these informative episodes.…. As I commented on your video, the stem trick worked great! Between your videos and the kind guidance I have received from members here, my restoration has been much smoother than anticipated. So thank you again!
I’ll be looking forward to you next installment
DT
Glad to hear it! One thing I have learned from Canoetripping.net is that the members are extremely helpful and share the wisdom and experience to take on our own work. The videos I make are to help clarify some of the steps that have made me scratch my head a few times. I enjoy making the videos and I enjoy the work so hearing a comment like this CTC makes it worthwhile to continue making them. Best of luck with your project!

Glad to hear it! One thing I have learned from Canoetripping.net is that the members are extremely helpful and share the wisdom and experience to take on our own work. The videos I make are to help clarify some of the steps that have made me scratch my head a few times. I enjoy making the videos and I enjoy the work so hearing a comment like this CTC makes it worthwhile to continue making them. Best of luck with your project!
Well here is what you helped me accomplish… and literally was scratching my head until your video 😂

Attachments

• 97AAF14D-4D47-4946-8D23-BBE785C101E7.jpeg
    97AAF14D-4D47-4946-8D23-BBE785C101E7.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 26
  • D48A15CE-5E3E-401A-9B47-B7B81688B4F8.jpeg
    D48A15CE-5E3E-401A-9B47-B7B81688B4F8.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
Back