• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

The Appeal of a Long Wilderness Trip?

Reaction score
For those who have done it and would again. Is it the challenge, the natural world, the simplicity of life or something else?
I'm not planning a long canoe trip at this time, but a friend has asked me to help sail across the Atlantic. I've been to sea on CG cutters, on my own boat, others too. In 2021 I crewed a 37' boat 1200 miles nonstop from the Eastern Caribbean to the SE US. There are commonalities with canoe tripping: challenge, nature, living in the moment. Differences too: you can't hunker down and wait out the weather, nor sleep all night. Ocean cruising means standing watches day and night in whatever comes. He and I are in our early sixties and fit. Still, we're starting to feel our age. This trip won't be easy, but if we don't do it soon, we probably never will. I readily agreed to do the Caribbean trip, I'm less sure about this one. It's longer, colder and with no close landfalls to bail out or stop over. It means a month at sea with no heat, few showers, no fresh food after the first week, plenty of nights trying to sleep while holding onto your bunk.
What are your thoughts?

For me it was the challenge that was most rewarding along with the lack of mental distractions and seeing how easy it was to shuck off all the "extra" things we're used to in our day to day life.

There is no one to do anything for you and you can't just step into the house if bad weather pops up. Your life and safety are quite literally all in your own hands and it's up to you to make the right decisions (or at least avoid making the wrong ones). On a trip that lasts a month or longer you can't avoid having bad weather or other situations that pop up and force you to act. On a weekend trip a lot of things can go wrong too but knowing you'll be getting out the next day, or that help is nearby, is different than being weeks away from 'getting out.' There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction that comes from persevering and overcoming these challenges.

The lack of mental distractions also allows me to spend time thinking about things rather than my mind being pulled this way and that through the day. After a week or so I'm settled into the day to day routine and it's all pretty automatic. Some thought or problem will pop into my head and I might spend the next 2-3 days thinking about it. I'm not even actively thinking about it much of the time but as I paddle and do chores in camp it just keeps going in the back of my mind. When I've thought it over from every angle and found resolution I'll move onto something else. This is something I've never experienced anywhere else than on an extended canoe trip.

I've done two solo trips that lasted a month or longer and nothing else I've done in life has left me with feelings and memories quite like those trips have. On both trips I felt like I could just keep going forever and did not look forward to being finished. Well, that's not quite true about the last trip. The weather during the final 2 weeks was abysmal and I couldn't wait to be warm and dry again.

Alan

I say this only half jokingly, but the ice cold beer and meatball grinder after packing up on the last day.

My home is several miles west of the western edge of the Adirondack Blue Line. A few years ago, just a year before the official Northern Forest Canoe Trail was announced and publicized, my daughter lived on Cumberland Point, across the bay of Lake Champlain, east of Plattsburgh. I decided I wanted to solo trek door to door, my place to hers on a diagonal route across the Adirondacks. Unsupported except for what I could bring or find along the way. I bought a 15 pound carbon/kevlar hybrid Hornbeck canoe, made a fitted spray cover, and rigged a custom carry yoke just for the purpose because I knew there would be many miles of portages between waterways. Being a veteran Adirondack 90 mile racer, I knew very well the first hundred miles to Saranac Lake. I contacted the early developers of the NFCT to get routing tips, especially on segments below Saranac Lake tjhat I was not familiar with.

So one very hot dry (unfortunately low water) buggy July week, I set out on my trek, expecting up to ten days, but finished in just exactly seven, in part due to paddling extra early and late in the day to avoid the hoards of deer flies that attempted to consume me during the heat of the day. Total distance was 185 miles, which included a total accumulated 62 miles (much of it off-trail bushwhack) of carrying the canoe overhead (1/3 of the total miles covered). I loved the almost year-long planning process, the accumulation and making of gear, and the home dehydrating of all food I needed (except for a couple of well timed big meals at the Long Lake Diner and at Maplefields convenience shop in Redford. I felt the entire experience to be extremely rewarding, especially when I finally saw my daughter waiting on the far shore while I was in the wind fighting the last of broadside 3' roller waves on Lake Champlain.

The only other similar experience was when I along with six canoe paddling friends and my wife as pit crew, planned, trained, made food, strategized, and paddled the first ever Yukon River 1000 mile race in a voyageur canoe. When that Dalton Highway bridge finish line finally came into view around the final bend just two miles away through the then smoky haze, the internal emotion of having completed (and won) the race was almost overwhelming.

There was certainly no lack of variety with interesting scenery and active mental reflection on either trip. I did in fact do the 1000 mile again two years later with most of the same paddling team.

One of my Yukon partners is at this very moment on her way with a younger team to be the first to paddle the Northwest Passage in the Arctic north of Canada. Wish I was there with them.

Last edited:
Kathleen and I have done several northern Canadian canoe trips of four weeks. But our longest was 37 days on the Thelon River. We had planed 40 days, but arrived at Baker Lake at the head of Chesterfield Inlet on Hudson Bay three days early. We paddled alone, and saw only two other groups during those 37 days. I have never been happy to reach the end of a canoe trip. I have always wanted more. Below is from the end of our book about our trip in 1993. I think it expresses why we like wilderness canoeing. You can also view the trip report on page 2 of Canadian Trip Reports on this site.

It's good to be home, but I miss the river already. Despite being dominated by wind and water, we alone determined our daily activities. If the wind whipped up waves too high for paddling, we rested. If the river plunged through canyons or over ledges, we portaged. Other than for our self-imposed deadline of August 6 for reaching Baker Lake, time was interesting, but otherwise meaningless.

We had lived and travelled through an everlasting landscape. We had shared our journey with plants, birds, caribou, muskoxen, bears and wolves, all of us participating in the predictable progression of seasonal change. The concept of linear time, with beginning and end, is viewed by many native cultures as an artificial perspective. In reality, there is no beginning. There is no end. Seasonal cycles spin forever. As they always have. As they always will. Living within such cycles, time is irrelevant. Time can not be saved. Time can not be lost. Without a linear construct, time can not exist.

In Vancouver, time assumes nearly paramount importance. We arrived home on Wednesday evening, with four days to be ready for our commute beginning precisely at 7:06 on Monday morning. I spent Thursday and Friday tending to eight weeks of accumulated garden weeds and household chores. As I collected together the necessary gardening implements, I noticed a flat tire on the commuter car. No problem. I expected this, as the tire had been leaking slowly before we left. I wrestled the spare out of the trunk. It too was flat. Not too flat to drive, though. I inserted the key in the ignition. Click..click...click. Dead battery. A call to the BC Automobile Association instructed me to be ready in exactly 40 minutes.

Into the garden with hoe in hand. Ten minutes later Kathleen emerged from the laundry room with news that the dryer no longer produced heat. Back to the phone to contact the appliance store. The unseen voice told me they opened at 10:00, and might have replacement parts for our 20-year-old dryer.

On the river, all our equipment was functional and reliable, with virtually no moving parts. Self-sufficiency was blissfully easy. Alleged conveniences of civilization in Vancouver were frustratingly domineering by comparison. The phone rang demandingly. News of a house-warming party in the Fraser Valley. Drinks at 4:30 pm for dinner at 6:00.

The assembled guests expressed genuine interest in our Barren Grounds adventure. We basked in the 15 minutes of fame promised to all of us by Andy Warhol. Our fans ebbed and flowed during the evening, asking questions that invariably followed a predictable pattern.

"Did you see any bears?"

"Three."

"How close?"

"One was about from here to that far wall."

"Did you take a gun?"

"No, just cayenne pepper spray."

"Were the bugs bad?"

"They were horrible. Worse than I ever imagined they could be."

"How was the weather?"

"Variable. Wind -- particularly wind. Sun and rain. No snow, though. Our coldest temperature was 4 degrees C. (39 F).

"How long was the trip?"

"Five-and-one-half weeks; 950 km (590 miles). But it didn't really seem so long. You just live one day at a time no matter where you are. It's no different or longer than living in Vancouver for five-and-one-half weeks."

"Did you have an air drop for food?"

"No, Kathleen dehydrated all our food, which was excellent. We even have food left over."

"Did you have a radio?"

"No, but we did take an EPIRB for emergencies."

All very logical questions, but all of them totally missing the essence of wilderness canoeing. When my thoughts drift back to our quest, they settle comfortably on the multitudes of geese that gave us constant companionship. I can still see us drifting toward shore, anxiously surveying the bank for suitable camping sites. I can still see us eating bannock on a sunny morning, gazing restfully over a lake equally at rest. I can still see the orange-spotted white petals of prickly saxifrage, growing delicately among the riverside cobbles at the Mary Francis River. I can still taste the tart fruit of the blueberry, growing modestly in a tangle of lichens above Aleksektok Rapids. And, I can still remember lying in the tent pitched above Schultz Lake, listening to the hushed breath of absolute silence that reached out to us from beyond infinite, isolated tundra lakes and mountains.

More important than these images, however, is the enduring magic and memory of the nomadic experience of travelling through Canada’s pristine, northern landscape. It seems that none of our friends ever asks us the question most relevant to why Kathleen and I canoed alone 950 km across the Barren Grounds.

"How was the freedom?"

"Exquisite and absolute. It was as though we were the only two people in the world, travelling through a landscape so vast that it still functions as it has since the days it was first created.”

We can hardly wait to go again.

Last edited:
I’ve done a number of month-long, remote trips. Everything Alan said. Everything PaddlingPitt said.

Basically, it takes me three days on the water for the shake down, and then by day 12 there is a noticeable change in my state of consciousness. It is that precious state of consciousness I seek.

My longest trip was only ten days, but I got the same feelings of freedom, escape and control as I do on shorter trips. The freedom I feel is from being in charge of my own schedule and making my own decisions, while being in an environment that I choose and love. The escape part is that I have left all of my other problems behind. I don't have things like leaky faucets, peeling paint and other deferred maintenance nagging at me, those things are left behind and out of mind. The control feeling that I like is knowing that I have everything I need to face any situation I may encounter right in front of me in my boat. This feeling gets stronger as the trip goes on and I know where everything is in my packs and can get to it when needed.

There are also the other appealing things about tripping that are more physical, like seeing the wildlife and scenery, fishing, enjoying the pleasure of paddling and even the satisfaction I get from a well executed portage.

It used to take me a couple days to get these feelings, to "hear the song" as Bill Mason would say. As I did more trips the "song" came sooner. Now the feelings come back right from the start of a trip, which for me is the moment that the boat is loaded and I put my car keys and wallet in the bottom of my personal dry bag.

Last edited:
I also look forward to the personal growth that I get from a trip. I always learn something new on every trip so I would say that tripping makes me smarter.

I’m always in better physical condition after a trip than when I started so I would say that it makes me stronger.

I’m my quest for self improvement while on a trip I also hope to come home better looking. With plenty of free time and ample amounts of toothpaste I try to make my teeth whiter. 😉

IMG_5146.jpeg

Thank you all. I see the parallels, you probably do too. Being at sea is all about living in the moment.
Glenn, it's not very dangerous. The worst risks at sea are collision and severe weather. The boat he sails has AIS, which shows us commercial traffic including course and speed. We'll have an EPIRB, satellite communication and weather, and for the worst case a liferaft.

Hopefully you didn’t spit that gob in your mouth into the lake, that’s what it looks like you’re about to do.

Thank you all. I see the parallels, you probably do too. Being at sea is all about living in the moment.
Glenn, it's not very dangerous. The worst risks at sea are collision and severe weather. The boat he sails has AIS, which shows us commercial traffic including course and speed. We'll have an EPIRB, satellite communication and weather, and for the worst case a liferaft.
Just make sure your stepping up into that life raft if you happen to need it. Which will enrich your life more, sailing across the Atlantic or playing it safe on your couch?

The Caribbean sailing trip sounds wonderful John, I say go for it. I'm sure you'll both be well prepared for every eventuality. Like any trip half the fun will be in the planning. I've never sailed, much less spent much time far from shore, so my only sailing is done virtually via vloggers on YouTube. A favourite of mine is Madison Boatworks. A youngish couple restored and refitted a 1960 ketch, sailing out of Seattle (2021) down to Mexico and then across the Pacific to (so far) French Polynesia. The eye candy scenery is easy to appreciate, the head space duality of solitude and awareness only relatable to those who've "been there". I have not been on any score, neither wilderness nor long. Please film it.
Best of luck whatever you do.

I have a friend(?) who left Long Island solo and had to be lifted off the sinking sailboat south of Nova Scotia. Lost the boat.
The second time, he bought a sailboat in England, sailed south, and then across to the Caribbean with his new 3rd wife.
She flew home to England, then he sailed to Greenport, L.I. for some refitting, then got a late start, he had a rough solo trip to England. He told me he didn't think he was going to make it on numerous occasions.
Sold the boat and dumped the wife in a week, and was asked to leave England.

I'll say right off that I've never done more than 5 days alone... I don't do well by myself for too long, and miss people. But I'll quickly add that companionship makes anything tolerable. I have been 6 weeks without a proper bath/shower, 5 weeks with exactly the same meal 2x a day, and countless days without more than a couple hours of sleep per day (that becomes a hallucinogenic haze after the 3rd day), as well as extremes of temperature (2 weeks outdoors at 20 to 40 below zero, about 10 days when the daily temp was in excess of 105*F), all while under severe physical and mental strain. NONE of that would have been possible without the presence of some really good friends.

I go to the woods alone for the simplicity, re-absorption into the natural environment I evolved to thrive in, and restoration of my senses to their full sensitivity (this latter is honed by hunting, but not always possible.) The process normally takes 3-4 days, and by then I'm ready to see my wife again, tell her about it, and then I can go back for more. My best trips have been with my daughter; both of us mostly alone all day (fishing, reading, exploring alone), but company for each other in the evenings at supper and at the fire.

Someone pointed out the close quarters... some can do that, some can't. I have lived several times, for a couple weeks at a time, inside an Abrams tank, with 3 equally fragrant/unbathed individuals within arms reach at all times, broken only by our sleep and shared meals, bath/shaving water, hunger, thirst, and physical toil, and would trade almost anything to go back and do it again. If you've been on a boat before, you already know you can do it.

What you are proposing isn't a wilderness trip experience, but I'd do it anyway... I'm 59, not getting younger, have never sailed across the Atlantic, and would do so simply for the experience, especially since you have company you apparently like and trust. This makes all things tolerable (though not an excuse to not plan the thing properly. Roald Amundson said something about proper planning being called "good luck", and poor planning being called "bad luck" by some.)

Good luck to you, sir.

Back