• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Whitefish & Lynx Lakes, NWT: 2022

Very nicely tied up.

I watched the homecoming video and, while I hate to burst your bubble, I noticed Shadow didn't really start to get excited until after he sniffed your box of donuts. :)

Thanks for bringing us along. It was a great trip!

Alan

That was a great wrap up! I'm guessing that your Aunt, with her monetary advice, must have been hovering approvingly in the background during this trip, gleefully smiling at the expensive flights, five star tundra accommodations, overpriced plunk, broken windshields and gas station rip offs.

On your trip home, you truly encountered the strangeness of Canada, with the original inhabitants of Canada making a pilgrimage to see the Pope, and the newest of Canadians making a pilgrimage to see Canada.

Thanks for the excellent trip report, it has made the mornings of the onset of winter tolerable. Like Robin said, I'm sure you have more trips in you, plus I need more trip reports. Keeping your Aunt's advice in mind, you could always hire some young Sherpa type to come along and do all the work, plus you could get a nice 17 foot square stern with a little motor. Speaking from personal experience, once you go gas, it's hard to go back.

Thanks again for the report!

Thanks for the excellent trip report, it has made the mornings of the onset of winter tolerable. Like Robin said, I'm sure you have more trips in you, plus I need more trip reports. Keeping your Aunt's advice in mind, you could always hire some young Sherpa type to come along and do all the work, plus you could get a nice 17 foot square stern with a little motor. Speaking from personal experience, once you go gas, it's hard to go back.
Great to hear that you enjoyed the trip report, mem. That’s the reason I post, for the feedback. I’m thinking that Kathleen and I might not have another northern Canada trip left in us. Our daughter likes to go on cruises, and is always inviting us to join her. We always decline explaining that our focus is wilderness tripping.

”We’ll join you when we get too old for tripplng.”

Last April we finally said we were ready to cruise, and have booked a nine-day trip from Barcelona to Rome next May. Not likely to do both cruising and tripping in the same summer, so the earliest next canoe trip would be in 2024. Kathleen will be 72 and I will be 76. It’s possible, but I’m thinking probably not. I suppose we could always go on a guided trip, where someone else does all the work. Pretty expensive, and a good way to avoid the sin of having money left over when we die, which would please my late Aunt Paula. The downside, though, is we would have to get along with other people who might not share our priorities for tripping. What if they wanted to talk politics non-stop?

Quite a conundrum.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your trip report. While it's good to be on a trip, there comes a time at the tail end when I just want to be back home again. Also, when the time comes, I hope I'll look back and say that was my last trip, instead of saying this will be my last trip. For me the thought of last trip would over shadow my enjoyment. I'm planning a next trip but one thing I've learned. Life happens fast when it happens. I may have already taken my last trip and not know it. Ignorance can be bliss.
Rippy

It was reassuring to read "This is why we come." Almost every day that sentiment popped into your heads and onto the written page. I really hope someday you'll be replacing that with "This is why we keep coming back." A fly-in, fly-out base camp on an esker lake, or a longer trip over shorter distance down an easy river section, or a summer spent care-taking a fly-in fish camp?
I enjoyed another of your northern river diaries, although I'm still struggling to feel a full appreciation for the region. Time spent above the boreal tree line is a stretch for me still, but I try to keep an open mind to new horizons. I do love those eskers. Thanks again for sharing this one.
Do not however say this will be your last trip. Don't make me pull this car over!!

Last edited:
Back