• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Tent Pole Problems x 2

Evening gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies, and Lance, I appreciate your offer - thank you.

I was waiting for a reply from TPT and did receive one tonight. The Alpenlite is a strange bird from a pole perspective. I have 5 tents, 4 all pretty similar poles/cords but they burned some midnight oil (or something else) to come up with this design.

From TPT -

"Repair is going to be $75-100 for parts and labor. These poles are actually incredibly difficult to put new cord in. Through they year I have actually come up with better ways to do this work. However, it still is quite involved. You end up with fully functional poles that are also easier to work on if you ever need something fixed moving forward."

I was unsure of what to expect price-wise, but based on the reply above this makes sense to me, and it it supports Nick's past positive experience with them so I'll give it a shot.

I'll post my experience as it goes!

Thanks again!

Second Quest Outfitters .... dealt with them frequently .... as a bonus you can call and talk with them for advice

I'll balance that with a good experience with Tent Pole Technologies.

Replacing shock cord is a DIY thing, should be pretty easy.

I replaced all the shock cords on an older timberline outfitter 6, just ordered some skinny bungee cord off amazon. It was quite cheap. and came in long rolls, so it was easy to feed a piece through without stretching it, and then figure out the length when you had all four poles threaded.

Thank you memaquay,

I was going to go that route, and videos made it look pretty straightforward, but the guy from TPT said these were very difficult to do. He will retrofit them so it will easier next time. They are strange looking. I had posted earlier how all of my tents, coming from 4 different manufacturers are all the same, but this one has a screw arrangement or something. Love the tent though.

That, along with my natural tendency to F*** things like this up so I figured I spend the dough. Gotta get out this fall - it's been raining all summer down here.

Back