• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Strip built truck cap?

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct place for this...

Has anyone thought of or attempted to use the strip building process on anything other than a boat? I have a 1975 Jeep J20 and would like a cap for it. The old J series pick ups beds are narrower at the top than was standard at the time, so an older cap won't fit. I would love one of the original Jeep caps, but Id be better off buying a Powerball ticket.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. Internal ribs for a framework with the strips attached to the ribs. I could pirate windows from another cap. Glass the outside.

Am I missing something? IMG_1208.JPGIMG_1210.JPG

I should do a search on my own posts! Old age is catching up with me, I never realized I posted this same question before. I was pretty proud of coming up with the idea only to find out I pirated it from myself (not that it was original to begin with).

I have read thru the thoughtful responses to my prior post, but am willing to hear any additional thoughts. Im fairly certain this will be my spring project. I have plenty of strips left over from my last build.

I think that would look great on an older truck like you have! I don't see why it couldn't be done. Crap, you outta see the half arsed jury rigged plywood/pine board/even PVC and tarp covered beds of pickups I've seen here in NH! Rounded or more like a truck cap? Please post if you get this project going, love to see it!

dougd

Yeah - I'm all for it too. Can't see any reason not to do it, and I think it would look great on a vintage truck. You could get really creative with it, if you aren't averse to re-varnishing every year. If it's not your daily driver, you could extend the finish life with a canvas cover. Otherwise, just paint it on the outside. I know I've seen at least one example somewhere on the 'net....

I should do a search on my own posts! Old age is catching up with me, I never realized I posted this same question before. I was pretty proud of coming up with the idea only to find out I pirated it from myself (not that it was original to begin with).

I have read thru the thoughtful responses to my prior post, but am willing to hear any additional thoughts. Im fairly certain this will be my spring project. I have plenty of strips left over from my last build.

I remember that thread, but not what all was in it. I recall having concerns about the strength and rigidity, especially worst case scenario carrying two tandem canoes atop the camper shell up 20 miles of bouncy washboard road. That could be remedied with some more rigid armature inside the cap.

This link may also be on that previous thread, but if it can be done, with roof racks, using plywood stitch and glue construction for a TearDrop camp trailer it can be DIYed on the bed of that classic Jeep pick up.

https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop

Looking at the CLC price list the plans alone are kinda pricey, but the last option is Study Plans, Emailed PDF for 1 dollar. Those study plans might translated into food for thought DIY truck cap design elements, and be a buck well spent.

Don't build it over frames, build it over FORMS!
Be sure to glass both the inside and outside. 1/4" strips, double 6 oz in and out and you should be able to walk on it.
Just my personal opinion, but you should paint it too.

BTW, I'm a Jeep guy too, been driving one CJ or another since 1984. I have a soft spot for those FSJ's, especially the big Cherokees. Someday, when I have too much time on my hands, I'll get a full size Cherokee and drop in a modern (semi-modern) diesel drivetrain...Really nice J20 you have there, wanna share any details?

Be sure to glass both the inside and outside. 1/4" strips, double 6 oz in and out and you should be able to walk on it.

BTW, I'm a Jeep guy too, been driving one CJ or another since 1984. I have a soft spot for those FSJ's, especially the big Cherokees. Someday, when I have too much time on my hands, I'll get a full size Cherokee and drop in a modern (semi-modern) diesel drivetrain...Really nice J20 you have there, wanna share any details?
I'm into 4 wheel drive Ford Rangers I have 2 I'm going to sell one. A strip built top for a truck would be very cool but I think the sun would destroy it in very short order painted or not varnished or not, a truck cap is like making an oven in the back of a pickup

Just make sure it is bolted down tight! I had an aluminum cap come off it front of me heading for the windshield but it caught the up draft and flew over the car. I bet wood strip would fly very nicely but the landing maybe not so good :)

I grew up with pre-chrysler Jeeps as well, my first vehicle was an 85 CJ7, and its been down hill from there. I have a soft spot for the FSJs, especially the J series trucks. I have owned a number over the years, but this is the one that won't leave. If you know your Jeeps, you know that for certain years, the stars just lined up.

Its a 1975 J20, I am the third owner. The original owner used it exclusively as a yard truck for a wrecking yard in WA. He gifted it to a young employee who joined the Marines as a mechanic, and was promptly stationed in CT. He owned it for about 6 years, but never registered it. He proceeded to, as the young are want to do, cut the exhaust off "to make it sound like a Harley", paint all the aluminum and chrome trim black, and put on an edelbrock intake and carb that was way too big for the engine. He was selling it to finance a family vehicle. It turned up on CL about 8 years ago, I was at his house 45 min after he posted it.

Its a 75 J20 with 28,000 original miles (It never left the yard in WA until it went to CT). Factory AMC 401, T18 4 speed, Dana 20 transfer case, HD Dana 60 rear end and HD Dana 44 front end (both have been re-geared to 4.55 and have ABR air lock differentials). There is a small spot of rust on the front drivers side wheel flare, other than that, nothing! Ive rebuilt everything that moves (Engine, T-case, tranny, both axles) and in the process addressed any of the quirky "Jeep" things (Oil pressure to the back cylinders, leaky exhaust manifolds, etc..). I had a custom 6" lift made in Montana. I wanted a 3/4 ton truck to do 3/4 ton truck things, not a super mushy rock crawling suspension. The 6" lets me clear and stuff (if necessary) the 35" tires without cutting the wheel wells or fender flares (which is what makes this thing look good). I kept the Edelbrock intake, but put on an appropriately sized Holly Truck Avenger carb. The entire starting system (which was always a week point on the FSJ) has been entirely replaced and upgraded, along with a new wiring harness. The interior is completely stock, and could almost pass for new. Its one of the few FSJ you will see that everything works on! Im sure im missing things.

The little bit of body work is next on the list, then a mat clear coat (I dig the weather "rat rod" look). I have no desire for it to look new. The black paint will get stripped, along with the spray painted jeep logo on the tailgate. I know a super talented finish guy at the boat restoration yard where I used to work who is going to do the tailgate, repaint the logo white, then weather it to match the rest of the truck.

I toy with the idea of either a diesel or LS swap, but I don't think Ill go that direction with the truck. My wife would like and older FS Cherokee or Wagoneer, so Im keeping my eyes out for the right one, with the idea of swapping in a modern engine, and making it her daily driver.

Its my rebellion against modern everything. It takes work to own one, and just as much work to drive one. No ABS, GPS, sensors, or automatic anything. The security system is the fact that its a big naturally aspirated engine with a manual tranny. Most people anymore couldn't start it, let alone know what to do with a big stick shift. My 13yo daughter summed it up perfectly when she first rode in it "daddy this smells like gasoline, motor oil, and cigars". I said "those are three pretty good things!"

Attachments

• IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 0
Stripperguy,

No internal ribs, just make forms like a canoe, and glass the inside? I was worried about racking in the wind on the road. I like the idea of no internal ribs though, it never occurred to me that it would be strong enough though. The plan was to mount a Yakima rack I own (from a previous truck cap) to my homemade one. Do you think it would be strong enough for that, or do you think I need a separate "cantilever" style rack?

I'm pretty sure you can build a cap plenty strong enough to hold a roof rack and a couple of canoes. Worst case, you might need to selectively reinforce a few areas. Easily done with a few glassed in stiffeners or a few strips of carbon...

As for your J20, I'm envious. Really nice truck, and your so lucky to have found such a low mileage gem.
I've had my 77 CJ5 since 1995. I rebuilt the 258 years ago with a Comp Cams 252H, 030 over pistons, Clifford intake, Weber 38, Hedman headers, all 2.25 exhaust with some Flomaster or another, HEI ignition, electric pusher fan (for water crossings) and much more that I'm forgetting.
Suspension is SOA with Wrangler springs and Billsteins, 12 inches travel at both ends. D30 up front is heavily trussed, with D44 knuckles and hi steer, Superior alloy steel axle shafts, rear is a heavily trussed M20 and Moser one piece alloy shafts. Reheared to 4:56, lunchbox lockers both ends. I swapped in a T5 and D300 as well. Also added PS and a hydraulic winch, which has proven invaluable. It sits on BFG AT 35's and weighs a touch over 2,000 lbs. It is almost unstoppable. I still need to finish adding the sway bar up front and a swing down spare tire carrier. Oh, I did all of the rebuilding and fabrication too.

I do get a kick out of driving a 40 year old vehicle that is as reliable as any modern vehicle, but can be fixed with a hammer and chisel! One vacuum line (for dist. advance) and nothing extra, not even a radio. It rides and drives smooth and comfy, and wheels with the best of them.

View attachment a3ex1XHrHqCZP1XCK0vU3O64W_ExlIIgOlv7TqpKgJdrzJOgsMWmhWNMmscB-tVMIpSl6GmlNz_xdLBrff8iWsbq6JrIA2JsVagC

I guess that the cap roof and rack strength depends on how the racks are used and for what. And maybe on the shape of the cap roofline. The egg shell shape of those teardrop trailers probably helps in that regard.

I had a simple WeatherGuard construction rack on one of my trucks, the type that are cantilevered out off the bedrails and wrap around outside and above the cap. All steel and rated for some absurd weight. That rack was adjustable for length and width, so fitting that style on the peculiar J20 bed size should not present an issue.

I carried some stupid heavy canoe pyramids tied atop on shuttles, and hauled lumber on those racks when building a friends cabin, far more weight than I would have been comfortable putting directly on crossbars attached to the cap itself.

https://www.weatherguard.com/produc...ks?ipp=24&cp=1&sort=default&tts=1522848356014

The black steel industrial appearance of a construction rack would not look out of place with the J20s grill, bumpers and trim.

Those construction style racks are the Grumman canoes of racks, they never say die, so finding a used rack might not be the unicorn search for an original Jeep cap.

The $100 version of that adjustable steel rack could be cantilevered up and around the cap with four horizontal plates bolted to the bedrails.

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-Adjustab...pID=41YCfYb59DL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Those TMS racks are similar to the WeatherGuards I used. I just turned the vertical posts 180 degrees so they angled out and away from the cap, with the bonus of a wider crossbar in that orientation.

Those crossbars were easily made wider still. I just drilled holes in a 2x6 to accommodate the top of the vertical support posts and could drop that in place. I had big mirrors on that truck and the crossbars were fully that long. It was a big platform, long enough that I had to store the extension bars diagonally in the truck bed when we took the canoes off at a launch.

If those would fit and work with some adaptation they might be an easy 100 dollar solution.

Or, if you want to go full custom dress, do you know a welder?

I'm pretty sure you can build a cap plenty strong enough to hold a roof rack and a couple of canoes. Worst case, you might need to selectively reinforce a few areas. Easily done with a few glassed in stiffeners or a few strips of carbon...

As for your J20, I'm envious. Really nice truck, and your so lucky to have found such a low mileage gem.
I've had my 77 CJ5 since 1995. I rebuilt the 258 years ago with a Comp Cams 252H, 030 over pistons, Clifford intake, Weber 38, Hedman headers, all 2.25 exhaust with some Flomaster or another, HEI ignition, electric pusher fan (for water crossings) and much more that I'm forgetting.
Suspension is SOA with Wrangler springs and Billsteins, 12 inches travel at both ends. D30 up front is heavily trussed, with D44 knuckles and hi steer, Superior alloy steel axle shafts, rear is a heavily trussed M20 and Moser one piece alloy shafts. Reheared to 4:56, lunchbox lockers both ends. I swapped in a T5 and D300 as well. Also added PS and a hydraulic winch, which has proven invaluable. It sits on BFG AT 35's and weighs a touch over 2,000 lbs. It is almost unstoppable. I still need to finish adding the sway bar up front and a swing down spare tire carrier. Oh, I did all of the rebuilding and fabrication too.

I do get a kick out of driving a 40 year old vehicle that is as reliable as any modern vehicle, but can be fixed with a hammer and chisel! One vacuum line (for dist. advance) and nothing extra, not even a radio. It rides and drives smooth and comfy, and wheels with the best of them.

I just had to wipe up a little drool. That is a very similar set up to my last CJ. The 258 is a great engine, and its replacement the 4.0 from Chrysler is one of the few things they did well when they took over. There is not much a properly geared CJ with a 258, lockers, and a set of 35's cant go thru.

I thought about a SOA, on the J20. Ive done it in the past, and you can get ridiculous articulation out of a full size vehicle. I went a different direction, I wanted to stiffen the suspension up on this guy. I also bored .30 over, for no other reason than I had it apart. Its funny, I didn't intend to do an engine rebuild, it didn't really need it. I broke several of the exhaust manifold bolts off the first weekend I had it in an attempt to replace the manifold gaskets. At that point I needed to pull the heads to get the studs out, and was standing there looking at an engine with no top half, wondering when I would have the occasion to do it again. 4 hours later the engine sat on a stand in the corner of the shop. I did all of the rebuilding, minus machining. Like I said its therapy. Im not the best mechanic on the planet, but I know my Jeeps, and I can follow directions.

This is more my camping/fly fishing vehicle than a true trail rig. Im also a custom carpenter (on the side) and I love pulling up to clients houses in the J20.

My first pickup was a J-20 older than yours. It had an AMC 232 six. I worked at an AMC Jeep dealer at the time. In a lot of ways the best 4wd pickup ever built. I used to win bets on ground clearance with owners of other make 4wd trucks with their transfer cases hanging way down and the rocker panels sky high.

My first pickup was a J-20 older than yours. It had an AMC 232 six. I worked at an AMC Jeep dealer at the time. In a lot of ways the best 4wd pickup ever built. I used to win bets on ground clearance with owners of other make 4wd trucks with their transfer cases hanging way down and the rocker panels sky high.

Turtle,

Its deceiving, stock, the older FSJ have more ground clearance than people realize. Everything is "sucked up" underneath, and they are very "flat". When you sit in one your feet are almost straight out in front of you. The profile reminds me more of a military Hummer, than a traditional truck, There is nothing hanging down, other than the skid plate on the t-case. I can identify a FSJ just from that side profile of the t-case skid plate, very distinctive.

Back