• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Stand Up Glamping Rig

Reaction score
Since we're going to be car camping several days during our upcoming trip, I'm looking for a big 'ol stand up family size tent. Any recommendations? I'd like it to withstand the wind from Superior, not too big or complex to set up. We'll likely be setting it up in the dark, and in the wind, and in the rain, and with no trees to tie it down. Screened doors and windows are necessary, also a good durable floor.

If you have something you like in this vane, please let me know.

A good friend mentioned his interest in this just the other day. He is all about the bling, so wanted to shop for a "top of the line" tent costing many hundreds $. And he is abusive with anything he touches. I try not to loan him my tools. (No he can't borrow my tent.) So I suggested saving his money and shopping at Walmart and C Tire. Most tents are free standing these days so forget about needing trees, and as far as I know all windows and doors are screened these days. Although you generally get what you pay for you really need to ask yourself just what it is you really need. Interior height is a big factor. That will reduce the number of acceptable ones to consider, even for me standing at 5 feetforgetaboutit. Most setups like any tent are simplified with shock corded poles, tent sleeves and fly clips.
Setting up in the dark? That's what headlamps are for. Setting up in the rain? That's what loving partners holding umbrellas are for. Setting up in the wind? That's what comfortable reclining front seats are for.
I bought an inexpensive Woods 3-season rugged 4-person dome tent from C Tire years ago as a spare whatever tent. It could easily handle all 4 seasons but I'm not that into suffering so the 14 pound playpen mostly stays home. We did in fact trip with it in Marshall Lake. It's luxuriously spacious but only tall enough for she and me crouching-kneeling for wrestlemania dressing/undressing, so I get why interior height is a positive.
Nowadays I use our cargo mode minivan as a car glamper pre and post canoe trip. I rig up a tarp from the roof rack out from one of the side doors for shelter, under which I stash our gear. Inside in the evening I inflate an air bed using the dash power outlets. Voila. Even in bad weather at take-outs/put-ins we're ready.

Last edited:
Unless you are fortunate enough to book in the first row of sites at Agawa there is virtually no choice your tent will be exposed to winds.. Even backcountry camping sites generally have well sheltered tenting areas.
Go to Wally World.. It will suffice.
I have an LL Bean King Pine 4 .. It has ALUMINUM poles.. We had a previous version with GLASS poles.. They all splintered.. Though cabin tents are cheap the last thing you need is a splintered set of poles. And alu is hard to find in cabin tents.. Unfortunately the tent is discontinued. I am not finding any cabin tents today with all alu poles.
The Eureka Copper Canyon on Amazon seems to be reasonable.. Also check Woot.
The Coleman tents might stand up for the duration.. Another problem with cabin tents is that almost all come with a mingy rainfly unless you spend big bucks

For a car-camping tent, I want a tent I can stand in and a that during rain, I can get in and out of without getting rain in the tent. Surprisingly, there aren't that many tents that meet both criterion.

The REI Kingdome 6 was the one I got and, while a little embarrassed to be using such a large tent for a one-man operation, I'm pleased with the tent. I've used it during pounding rain storms and it performed well. It has a large vestibule on one end that I can enter and zip closed behind me before opening the tent. There is room to take off my wet rain gear and shoes before I get in the tent. It has an internal "wall" across the middle that is in danger of being scissored out. The wall opens up but annoys me, and I may never use it, but if you had a situation with multiple people and wanted some privacy, you can have at least a tent-wall's worth. The tent has multiple external guy points, which you will value if deploying the tent in wind. It's a little tricky to set up with only one person, but manageable.

~~Chip

One thing I usually check is if the door has sufficient coverage to keep rain out when getting in and out. I've looked at most of the mentioned ones. I have Eureka and Big Agnes tents now, and they always seem to endure, but I'm not sure they are the easiest to set up. I guess I'll focus on those two cause I respect the brands, mainly. There's lots of new names on some of the review lists you see, and I'm always leary of new brands I'm not familiar with. I put them side by side and compared features, weight, etc.

UPDATE: Decided on the BA BH4 with the accessory vestibule. Reasons: wind/rain resistance, flexibility of pitch, dogs can sleep in the vestibule when they smell bad, and I haven't seen any crappy materials from the manufacturer yet.

Last edited:
Since we're going to be car camping several days during our upcoming trip, I'm looking for a big 'ol stand up family size tent. Any recommendations? I'd like it to withstand the wind from Superior, not too big or complex to set up. We'll likely be setting it up in the dark, and in the wind, and in the rain, and with no trees to tie it down.

We are heading out to family car camp and day paddle the next couple of weekends. More of an anti-recommendation, although “a big 'ol stand up family size tent” meant something different to me.

When the boys were very young we had a giant two-room cabin tent for car glamping. Like this:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/camping/copper-canyon-8-person-tent

The Big House 4 at least has a smaller footprint and a more substantial rainfly. Looking at the poles and sleeves it still looks like a bit of a chore to set up, at least compared to more modern design 4-person domes or vees.

If you don’t absolutely need full walk upright headroom there are much faster set ups dark/wind/rain that don’t require a full on hands-and-knees crawl in. I really don’t like having to sleeve poles atop a non-waterproof wall tent in the rain without some protected “fast fly” set up.

Pros to that big wall tent style:
It was huge, high headroom, walk in and had two “rooms”, so when the boys brought friends along they had their own divided side of the tent with my wife and I the other, with enough walk around space that no one was stepping on/over each other. It had big windows for summer camping ventilation and a large “front porch” awning on the (otherwise scanty) rainfly.

Cons:
It had beefy aluminum poles, which admittedly never bent or broke, but it weighed an absurd amount and was a sizable duffle bag when packed up. It was a chore to pitch and needed a massive footprint to accommodate the floor, which was not always available even on car camping sites, so there were often drainage puddles under the floor (the sheer walls didn’t help drainage in that regard either).

The near vertical sides did not fare as well in strong winds as a dome shape or even a Timberline-ish vee. The integrated awning was far less effective than a similar sized tarp set up separately in a chosen location.

Worst con: After too-few years we stopped using it. The boys soon enough went into their own tent, sometimes tents plural if they bought friends along. The downside to multiple tents was that we sometimes had to pay for two adjacent car camping site with 3 tents (in a pinch we sometimes set two tents end to end and draped a long tarp over both, yup, looks like one tent – 4 feet wide x 20 feet long)

The upside was that in backcountry use it was/is easier to find spots for three smaller tents than for one big one. We are still using some of those smaller tents 20 years later, and it is handy to have several better quality backcountry tents, including one to four person sizes than one big one we rarely had use for.

The boy’s current solution is to bring a spacious two vestibule 3+ person tent and a Hennessey Hammock. They share storage space in the vestibules and, if the site is unhammockable for lack of trees or regulation, they share the tent.

It has been mentioned the wind blows quite fiercely on Superior's shores. We thought we lucked out one summer when we'd secured a lakefront beachfront site in Agawa but were subsequently pummeled by a windy storm. Changing sites and retreating into the shelter of the trees increased our car glamping pleasure exponentially. And it's always a short leisurely stroll from anywhere to the beach. Up at Neys PP it's been different. There was a screen of undergrowth and cedar creating a broken green wall between campsite and glorious sight. There is a stretch of river beside the park suitable for paddling, although we've never taken canoes on our Superior sojourns. There it's been all about the onshore/inshore hiking. If you get a chance give Neys a try. (It helps if you like trains. In the early hours. lol. Never bothered us.)
When I first saw my brother raking his car campsite snobbery got the better of me, and I sniggered. Yard duties while tent trailering? But he explained a collapsible leaf rake made short work of litter, sticks and stones. Ah, suddenly it made perfect sense. Now if and when we car camp I take one. In minutes I can have a kitchen-tent-lounging site clean and tidy. Especially where any tent may be set up. And a second item in our arsenal is likewise pragmatic but often overlooked, a heavy duty cheap poly tarp as a ground sheet. I wind up with various sizes and condition from work and home so cutting raggedy ones to footprint size is no bother.
I like the looks of your chosen glamper tent BF, hope it serves you well in making your front country comfortable, and that front porch for the pups is perfect.

Decided to get a couple mondoking thermorests. Be silly to use a thin backcountry bed in that big tent. I’m excited to be taking my old Coleman two burner stove and a cast iron griddle and Dutch oven. And you can be darn sure I’ll take a rake and a real shovel too.

[h=1]"Vango Galli RSV Screen House", (low version) this 50lb+ Monster is a hit with my family. Air beam construction and it can connect, with out any other accessories, to a minivan side or rear hatch.
Now the fun part... the price on Amazon goes up and down like a yo-yo. The highest $ has been $845 to lowest was $94.87 when I bought two, one for my family and one for my son.[/h]

Back