• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

solo tent with roomy vestibule?

I've never cooked in the vestibule in over 60 years, and for several reasons- I camp in bear and raccoon country (raccoons are worse), I need that room to shuck outerwear and boots, it's would be far too crowded to do safely, and finally that tent is my shelter, and contains my clothing and bedding, a fire- related mishap would be a disaster.
that said I prefer a vestibule that's big enough to strip down in while containing all my loose gear, so that means my "solo" is either my old single wall barn-style 2 man tent whose ridge poles extend out from the body and has an added vestibule, or if weather will be wet or cold, my 3 man Jack Wolfskin which has 2 hooped vestibules.
I carry a 10x10 silnylon tarp for cooking and lounging- less than a pound with ropes (3mm static cord) and packs down smaller than a nalgine. It also serves as a backup shelter if the s**t hits the fan, or many times it's all I take if going truly ultralight.

@lowangle al - If you're interested in an inexpensive shelter that allows for a stove and a view, you might want to check out the One Tigris ROCDOMUS. Here's a link: https://www.onetigris.com/rocdomus-hammock-awning-hot-tent.html

Don't know if it's still available but I saw it on the Alibaba website last week for just under $100.00.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've never cooked in the vestibule in over 60 years, and for several reasons- I camp in bear and raccoon country (raccoons are worse), I need that room to shuck outerwear and boots, it's would be far too crowded to do safely, and finally that tent is my shelter, and contains my clothing and bedding, a fire- related mishap would be a disaster.
that said I prefer a vestibule that's big enough to strip down in while containing all my loose gear, so that means my "solo" is either my old single wall barn-style 2 man tent whose ridge poles extend out from the body and has an added vestibule, or if weather will be wet or cold, my 3 man Jack Wolfskin which has 2 hooped vestibules.
I carry a 10x10 silnylon tarp for cooking and lounging- less than a pound with ropes (3mm static cord) and packs down smaller than a nalgine. It also serves as a backup shelter if the s**t hits the fan, or many times it's all I take if going truly ultralight.
Scoutergriz, I am in agreement with you. I'm not planning to cook in the StoveHut. I will still cook under a tarp, which I usually pitch as far from where I sleep as possible. I also have a Pomoly Rhombus Tarp Shelter and I am not planning on cooking in there either.

Attachments

• Pomoly Rhombus Hot Tarp.jpg
    Pomoly Rhombus Hot Tarp.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
Check out the Hilleberg GT tunnel tents. Not freestanding but quite easy to pitch. How tall you are and what conditions you anticpiate matter a lot in tent selection.

Hilleberg has a superb selection from Yellow Label (lightest and fly does not extend 100% of the way to the ground) to Black Label (which are the heaviest but bombproof). The various tents have differing interior dimensions and heights. The GT models all have vestibules that you can sit in. You will have to balance between strength, interior dimensions, and weight, but I'd wager you can find one that fits the bill for you.

The Yellow Label Anjan 2 GT has a 4 pound 10 oz packed weight, but is only 39" high and slopes a bit. The Nallo 2 GT has similar dimensions but is made of more durable materials with a 6 pound 6 oz packed weight.

If am not doing a lot of portaging and therefore weight is less of an issue I would personally go for a Nammatj 3 GT, even for solo. It is truly palatial, it is 41" tall and the roof and vestibule do not slope, the vestibule door has bug netting, and it is bombproof. Packed weight is 9 pounds. I could fit my low folding chair in the vestibule, close the bug netting, and cook in either a downpour or with the worst bugs. Given that you can be comfortable without a separate tarp the weight becomes less of an issue, and, there is also a major time savings every day from NOT setting up and breaking down a tarp.

Hi, my name is Doug and I am a Hilleberg addict .....

I thought truly free-standing tents with vestibules were tent unicorns until exploring Hilleberg. https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/red-label-tents/soulo/ But it's too late in my tripping life to start another tent collection.
There's cooking and "cooking" in vestibules. I've done the latter, simply boiling water from the comfort of my sleeping bag to make the first cuppa joe. But a) I'm disappointed in the performance of my alky stove and b) I'd rather get up and stretch my morning legs anyway, so I might as well stroll over to the kitchen and do things right., make morning coffee and prep for breakfast.
Good luck in your hunt Tomo. Let us know what you find.

This is more of my backpacking setup, but I have a Gatewood Cape with a bugnet/groundsheet insert that is really compact and light (20oz or so). It's not a tent-like vestibule, but you can cook in it while sitting up in your sleeping bag. They also make a 'tent' version of it called the Deschutes, but to my way of thinking, it's not doubling as rain gear, nor could it ventilate as well without the 'hole' in the top... but people seem to like it.

I've said before that my favorite setup is a 10x10 tarp in a plowpoint configuration (with bugnet in season), allowing a solo trekker to lounge, have a covered kitchen, workshop, and firewood and gear storage all in one package of around 2.5lbs, depending on how elaborate you get with bug netting and ground cloths.

Back