• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Solo Canoe Seating

For me Peach's thoughts have been mine too since 1996. With footrests I have no aching back at all and never used a sitbacker or backband. I too value mobility in the canoe.

I think the canted seat is key. Flat seats have always sent my back into spasms and the backs of my thighs numb. Eds Contour Bucket seat is so much to my liking I put them in all the boats that can accommodate them aside from a couple.. pack canoes, Monarch, and Aria. And the evil Argosy.

Just thoughts should you have an aching back . Tripping should not be a pain.. I haven't used the Nate Stick yet but have a spare paddle. I figure it ought to do the same job..unless its my tiny bent shaft...I'd lose it.

Last edited:
Just thoughts should you have an aching back . Tripping should not be a pain.. I haven't used the Nate Stick yet but have a spare paddle. I figure it ought to do the same job..unless its my tiny bent shaft...I'd lose it.

A loose paddle, a stick, anything will work to try it.
I'm not trying to sell something here, it's just a thing we discovered. The one in the photos accompanied me on a three day river paddle last Fall. I'm thinking of adding some padding.

I slant my seats forward by lowering the front edge 1/2".

The older I get more I need a comfortable seat, and my knees won't allow kneeling.

Jim

My preferred paddling style is hit and switch with a bent shaft but that doesn't mean I can't or won't paddle with something like a Canadian stroke when I feel like it.

My preferred position is sitting, with the bottom of the seat about 7" off the floor. Foot brace, I feel, is darn near mandatory for sitting in any canoe. Without one I feel like I'm floating around and I find it more tiring, not to mention less comfortable, as I try to find a comfortable position to lock myself in.

But I feel the ability to kneel is important as well for rough water and rapids. I can't get my legs under a seat that's low enough for me to sit comfortably so instead I use a sliding bucket seat on a narrow pedestal. I can sit comfortably and when it comes time to kneel I simply drop down to my knees. No effort trying to squeeze my feet under the seat and no entrapment worries. Very quick and easy to switch back and forth.

20150725_001 by Alan, on Flickr

I've used this setup in a couple of the canoes I've built and like it very much. Will probably make some tweaks but plan to keep using it. No complaints.

Alan
Hi Alan, any chance you can let me know how you parted out this build. I have similar issues with getting under a fixed seat. a narrow pedestal slider would be great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks, frederick

I've converted both my solo canoes to pack style.
I ordered foam seats, back rests, curved thwarts and kayak style footbrace from Northstar.
The advantage of converting is you can adjust the seat height by gluing a layer or two of minicell foam under the preformed foam seat.
I added a one inch layer.
I only have the kayak style foot braces on my Esquif Echo. I glued D-rings on the floor between my legs so I can strap in a long skinny bag.
Next time I have it/them out of the garage I'll take some photos.
Super comfy.

Back