• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Socrates: "Know thyself." Me: As a paddler.

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An ancient Greek aphorism, one of three inscribed on the the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, "know thyself" was popularized by Socrates (via Plato). It harmonizes with his maxim that "the unexamined life is not worth living," which Socrates uttered at his trial after choosing death rather than exile.

I've found it difficult to know myself over my life, and still do. However, this topic has a less ambitious and narrower focus: to know thyself as a paddler. In other words—What kind of paddler am I? What kind of waters do I like to paddle?

It took me many decades to find out.

I have paddled many boats, many ways, in many waters. I started as a child in a Maine lake in a Grumman canoe. Later, in northern California, I became attracted to whitewater, first in a kayak and then in a canoe with a double blade. I was counseled to put away my double blade, and did, becoming a single blade whitewater addict, first in open canoes and then in a decked C1.

But after 20 years, I began to know that running hard whitewater was becoming increasingly dangerous as I aged and paddling companions began moving, marrying, dying or otherwise fading away.

However, at the same time I entered serious whitewater in the early '80's, I also began paddling high performance flat water solo canoes with straight and bent shaft paddles in many still and easy moving waters. Sometimes portaging, other times base camping, most times moving here and there all over America.

From 1996 to 2004, I joined the increasingly popular sport of sea kayaking, eventually buying three of them. But I never mastered a bombproof roll or self-entry, so I was to afraid to go way out in oceans where brave sea kayakers go. Nor did I really like sitting butt-on-bottom in a constricted cockpit wielding a double blade. I was beginning to know myself.

So, in 2004, I decided to get the fastest single blade canoe, which was also easy to re-enter and could paddle oceans, lakes and many rivers—a Hawaiian outrigger canoe. I had one made in California, and drove from Connecticut to California to pick it up. I single bladed that va'a (Hawaiian OC1), which I consider an open canoe, all over North America from 2004 to 2009. But then I began to know myself that I wanted to return to a more capacious, leisurely and traditional open canoe.

I had great fun and great learning experiences in all these crafts over decades, but in my mid-sixties I finally realized that, as a paddler, I was mainly still that eight-year old in Maine—a single blading open canoeist. So, from 2009 to date, that's all I've paddled. During that time, I've bought a Hemock SRT, Bell Wildfire, Nova Craft Bob Special, and a reproduction Morris wood-canvas canoe, all used, and each of which was supposed to be my "last canoe."

What kind of water is my favorite? That's hard, because I like so many, but the answer is also now obvious to me. I mostly like rivers with some rapids I can easily dominate and play. I never much liked propelling myself at racing or even exercising speeds on flat water, or battling wind waves, or carrying loads over precarious terrain. I prefer the water to propel me along, keeping me focused on moving left and right, avoiding obstacles, eddying and peeling out, ferrying, and just floating along.

While I like paddling in all waters, and always will do so, I now know myself as a paddler. I mainly like paddling open canoes with single blade paddles in rivers. I regret never having had the opportunity to do so in the long wilderness rivers of Canada.

How about you . . . Socrates?

I know I like canoes because I can switch between sitting and kneeling. I also just like their aesthetics better than kayaks.

I know would buy more canoes than I could store if my wife and HOA didn't stop me.

I know I do not have time to fix every derelict canoe on craigslist.

I know I have limited time and money for trips and must prioritize them carefully.

I know I can't count on being fit forever and should enjoy it while I can.

I know I could drown or freeze, so I plan and practice to stay safe.

Some days it feels like I've come full circle to what and how I felt when I was young, but perhaps I never entirely left "that place". Regarding recreational pursuits, when very young I loved aimlessly wandering, by bike or boat or on foot. Back then my brothers and I called it "taking off". Homework done, chores done, we were free to go, but be back for suppertime. Later on, exercise and excitement became "important'. Life was too slow and there was so much energy unspent. Those years were a blur, fun but unsatisfying. Paddling trips reflected that. Eventually I started to listen to what made me happier and more contented. Simple things, like slowing down physically and mentally. Returning to being a kid again. I spent more time in books and out of doors, exploring. The things I believe in haven't changed, nor the things that bring me joy.
eg. Several years ago, a friend gave me his advice how to make the best of a trip to Paris France. "Make a list of stuff to see and start ticking boxes. Lots of boxes. The more boxes ticked the better Brad!" But instead, I did the opposite. I treated the 10-day trip exactly how I like to paddle, pedal, and walk. I got back to wandering aimlessly. It might've been Beaudelaire who described this daydreaming observant wanderer as a flaneur. That describes me perfectly. My wife and I had a wonderful time in France, we experienced so very much we felt full of life, and when we returned, I shared all our experiences with my friend. He however summed it all up with "So, you did and saw nothing. No boxes ticked?!" Ha. Two very different people with two very different life perspectives. I know which I love to live by. On paddling trips, my wife and I do what we want, when we want, how we want. No time constraints, no feats of daring-do to perform, no hurried finish line to cross. Like all life adventures, we start out with some ideas and goals, like cycle to that particular spot for a picnic, or ramble to view a certain lookout, or canoe trip to some favourite locations, but always these are merely "guidelines" and not stupid boxes to tick. To each their own I know, but I'm loving being a flaneur, sometimes in a canoe.

Glenn. Yikes! I highjacked the thread. Let me make amends.

Kathleen and I began paddling in open canoes. We once tried a kayak, and didn’t like it. Too confining. We like to change positions when paddling. We have always used single blade, straight shaft paddles. Will never change. We prefer wooden otter tail paddles, sometimes we use beaver tail paddles. We will never change. We prefer rivers, where the current does the work. We will never change. We have sometimes tripped on lakes, but don’t enjoy strings of lakes with multiple portages per day. We started out as backpackers, but became canoeists so we wouldn’t have to carry everything on our backs. Just pack the gear in the canoe and drift through wild places with the current. We have mostly paddled Royalex canoes, because that’s what people did in southern BC. No one had w/c canoes. Since joining this site, I want a w/c canoe, if only I were younger. Too late now. Kathleen and I prefer to trip by ourselves, for the reasons Brad mentioned. That’s who we are, and we have satisfied ourselves.

Glenn. Yikes! I highjacked the thread. Let me make amends.

Not necesssary. Brad is a good writer, but also being a flaneur, he'll likely take his sweet time replying to your question.

We prefer rivers, where the current does the work. We will never change.

I strongly suspected that from your many writings about your lives as whitewater club paddlers and prolific Canadian river paddlers. In fact, I wondered why your alleged swan song trip was on lake. But I suppose that you sort of explained that—nostalgia and "ease" of paddling (haha, man plans and the Barrens laugh)—plus I don't want to hijack my own thread.

Since joining this site, I want a w/c canoe, if only I were younger. Too late now.

Hooey. I'm older and probably weaker than you, and just bought a wood-canvas canoe and enjoy it immensely on lakes. Do you really know all thy canoe self? Isn't your current empire right on or near a lake? A nice lake boat, a box of wine, an old stove, some salami and crackers, could add some paddling spice to an aging couple's life. It does for an aging single . . . so, a fortiori, as Dickens' lawyer might say.

I've found it difficult to know myself over my life, and still do. However, this topic has a less ambitious and narrower focus: to know thyself as a paddler. In other words—What kind of paddler am I? What kind of waters do I like to paddle?
Glenn, in reference to the above bolded text, I'm in the same boat. But since you narrowed it down to paddling I'm able to reply. Most of my paddling is done solo. On day trips on rivers I paddle a Nova Craft Bob Special seated in the bow seat facing the stern. I use a dry bag with water for ballast to trim. My preferred paddling technique is goon stroke because that's what I like. I tried that fancy shmancy stuff (hit and switch, knees to hips) then went back to what I like. I'll admit to not accumulating any style points, but I have never found a place to redeem them anyway. I also pole the Bob on occasion. On lake trips I paddle a Nova Craft Pal in Kevlar Spectra. At 48 lbs the Pal is allot lighter than my first canoe, a Old Town discovery 169 that I bought in 1992. It weighed 85 lbs and I used to jog with it on the portage trails just to get it off my shoulders sooner. In 1992 I could do that. A 17' kayak hangs in the garage gathering dust. I just find paddling a canoe with a single blade more relaxing than swinging a double blade. Rippy

We had a hunting and fishing camp in "northern" Quebec (right here: 47.110973990670374, -74.07554793462482, if the reader is interested). We kept a number of vessels, stashed on cross members attached to black spruce trees at several lakes in the area. We had a wood canvas canoe at the main camp. One morning, at dawn, I pulled it down and set it on the glass-smooth lake at the end of the dock. I got in and paddled through the morning fog as it lifted from the lake's surface. I rounded the northwest corner, on my way back, and encountered a moose calf on the shore - staring at me through the thick, Labrador tea shrubs lining the lake's edge. Mom was probably off somewhere doing what moose cows do in early September. I hovered awhile, making baby moose calls before thoughts of bacon and eggs pushed me along.

And I suppose that's what I like - quiet, calm, close waters - where the only sounds are nature and the gurgling noises made by my vessel's progress (the occasional "oopsy" from banging the gunnels excluded). I dislike big water, wind, waves and I feel uneasy embarking on a voyage across a large body that while calm at the time, has the potential to rear its ugly head - usually at the worst moment.

I also suffer from an unreasonably strong desire to adhere to a schedule. I wish that wasn't so. I went on a motorcycle trip (Montreal - Skyline/BRP - Smokeys - VA Beach - and back) with a friend who was very much a "keep the sun on your left/right" type of navigator. Stop when hungry, sleep when tired. It was liberating and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but remain seemingly incapable of summoning the required nonchalance. Perhaps that would change if I tripped in places where some type of reservation was not necessary. But perhaps not.

Personally, Socrates and His Methods Scare the Dickens Out of Me!

Like Sergeant Schultz, I know nothing.
Particularly, with all my stuffing.
An Encyclopedia ReFrantica,
every page I turn returning me man bleak afa,

far better thing I do be headed
in my canoe away from all that's dreaded
entailed in cities too numerous
aged of wisdom waning this foolish humored cuss,

so I paddle out beyond all belief
and if I let my mind go the darkness knows that relief
where thoughts slip neath water drowning nomenclature,
I glide in peace above, blank slate enlightened by nature.

Last edited:
At this stage in my life, sea kayaks are behind me and my time is spent almost exclusively in my canoes; although I do enjoy a trip in my guideboat from time to time. Since my job schedule rarely merged with anyone else's, I learned to adapt to paddling alone. Now it's mostly me and my pooch in a solo canoe, paddling sections of the upper Susquehanna River just below it's birthplace in Cooperstown, NY. I love the quiet, slow meandering water with the chances of seeing osprey, bald eagles, heron, muskrat, beaver, etc. When I can, I "escape" to the Adirondacks and paddle the lakes and waterways of the Great North Woods. I love the intimacy you can find on the waterways I travel and they never cease to amaze me in what they have to offer. My spirit is renewed and life always looks better after getting out on the water again.

That's all for now. Take care, happy paddling and until next time...be well.

snapper

Glenn, you asked:
"What kind of paddler am I? What kind of waters do I like to paddle?"
"How about you . . . Socrates?"

I'm no Socrates, but my canoeing journey has been less about what kind of paddler I am and more about what kind of water is there to paddle on and who is around to paddle with.

When I first got into canoeing I was living in a PNW valley with three rivers that had some really fun Class II-III whitewater and I knew several whitewater paddlers (kayakers) so I took up whitewater canoeing in a beat up tandem Royalex boat, soon upgrading to a nice solo canoe. There were a couple of small lakes nearby and while pleasant to paddle with that old tandem, they didn't offer much diversity so I wasn't all that enthusiastic about flat water canoeing. But then I branched out to the Columbia River reservoirs, which offer mile after mile of flowing flat water so I bought a big fast tandem canoe and a fast solo canoe to cover the miles with ease. I had a couple of friends that enjoyed going fast in a tandem canoe so that was fun, but I still ended up paddling by myself in that fast solo. I also bought a partially decked solo expedition canoe so I could go paddling/tripping with my buddies that owned sea kayaks. And a tandem white water expedition canoe for trips to British Columbia. My quiver of canoes was just about perfect for that time and place.

Years later my life underwent some major changes and I ended up in New England, with all kinds of flat water opportunities within an easy drive. I still enjoyed my fast solo but I'd end up doing laps around the small lakes and ponds, stopping now and then to explore an interesting shoreline. And with insightful discovery, I found out just how much I loved meandering along the shorelines of rivers, lakes, and ponds, just observing the flora and fauna without a destination or mileage goal. The fast solo wasn't really the right canoe for those places plus I didn't live close to anyone that enjoyed paddling mile after mile at speed so I sold the fast solo. And I didn't have sea kayaking friends so I sold the decked expedition solo. And the expedition whitewater tandem. And my solo whitewater canoe. So my quiver of canoes was whittled down to a single canoe: the fast tandem tripper. Hmmm, now what?

Well, I happened to see a notice for the Adirondack Canoe Symposium a few years back so I signed up and rented a solo sport canoe and took some freestyle classes. Functional freestyle. That's it! This is the kind of canoe and paddling style that fits my new canoeing reality. So I bought a solo play canoe and am having a blast exploring all the flat water and swift water that is within an easy drive of home. And I added a solo tripping canoe that can get along pretty well on medium-sized lakes but can also maneuver along a shoreline or explore a swamp or marsh. To me it's a good blending of fast solo and play boat. I also bought a maneuverable tandem canoe which my wife and I enjoy. So I went from a quiver of white water and big water canoes to a quiver of maneuverable flat water canoes. The new quiver is perfect for where I live and is actually a better fit for my aging body. :)

I’ve used rented kayaks, and they were fun enough, but an open canoe is where I started on Tampa area rivers. I have 4 kids, and canoes work better for hauling younguns around. They’re easy to take “stuff” with you, and can be covered or not. I won’t say I’d “never” have a kayak, but I like canoes, and I like close canopied, spring-fed twisty Florida rivers and streams.

As to the style of boat or accompaniment, I enjoy paddling alone with others best. Whenever I find myself in a boat with others I miss being master of my own destiny. So if hauling kids, I’m in the Polaris. If really alone, the Prism and now the Phoenix depending on water.

I’ve enjoyed watching freestyle videos, but the idea of spending all my time on a pond polishing technique is unappealing in the extreme. Marc Ornstein’s “functional freestyle” videos however have inspired me. Hence the new symmetrically rockered Phoenix - rivers and responsiveness. I like the idea of whitewater, but there isn’t any near me. Columbus GA is the closest opportunity. I’m looking forward to some light tripping such as the Suwannee River wilderness trail with a kid or 2..

’ve enjoyed watching freestyle videos, but the idea of spending all my time on a pond polishing technique is unappealing in the extreme. Marc Ornstein’s “functional freestyle” videos however have inspired me.

Actually I liked the practice. I got off work at two pm and home at two thirty.. Dressed for the water ( I had to wear a uniform at work) and on the pond by three for an hour of so of "practicing scales" doing all the maneuvers . It wasn't tripping but more of a yoga but without that hard floor.. Got a lot of stretching in and building core. It felt good! But FS came out of canoe touring.
Yes the nearest pond was a storm runoff overflow pond of less than an acre.. but it was sufficient and due to its lack of size always calm. Once I had a cormorant and a turkey vulture perched on a rock at the edge of the water. Watching me. Remarkably on the same rock. I felt like... dinner.

I'm primarily an off season and travel paddler.
Dad built a couple of kit canoes when I was very young, I have many memories of them. We did a lot of boating, it started a lifelong love affair with the water. After one year of college, I joined the USCG. The first time I went to sea, I didn't want to come back. After six years on boats and ships I got out of the service to pursue a career ashore. I missed the water terribly, and built a sailing dinghy. Dad's canoes were long gone. Later I bought a 20' sailboat, then a 26', mostly used without engines. While trying to rebuild the 26' (these were wooden boats) I found myself painfully shore-bound. I bought a 15' lapstrake canoe with a sail rig and got back on the water. When I bought a series of small trailer sailboats, the canoe became a traveling boat. I could easily car top it to Massachusetts, Delaware, or Florida. Now I have a 39' ketch that gets most of my time in season. The trailer boats are gone, so if I get a nice winter day, I launch a canoe or kayak. I love their low maintenance, ease of storage and transport, and ability to use thin water.

I grew up in boats on Chesapeake Bay.
I moved to California in 1972 in a VW bus to surf.
Then I went to WA and lived on Puget Sound.
Now I live near Lake Tahoe.

Now I live near Lake Tahoe.
I used to drive right through Minden/Gardnerville each day on my way to work up at Indian Creek Reservoir. Sometimes we'd stop for a quick breakfast on the way. Canoed down the Carson River near Carson City a few times. Beautiful country.

Hi tketcham..
Indian Creek is about a half hour away. It was a nice place until the fire last year.
The Carson River is slow and easy until Silver Saddle Ranch and then it enters Brunswick Canyon. I ran it once to Dayton in flood in a drift boat but it was not easy.
I have run the upper part from the fish hatchery to the Route 88 bridge in a canoe. . It was great whitewater, but there were 4 irrigation diversion we had to carry around. The section from Route 88 to Mexican Dam is the most popular and easiest run.
I used to the run the East Fork from Markleeville to Ruenstroth Dam every spring which is normally a 2 day trip. I used a raft and camped near the Hot Springs. I have never tried it in a canoe because of the gradient.

Fires have changed huge areas of the western states. Entire valleys are being burned over within a decade, something that used to take centuries.

I'm not sure which mellow section of the Carson we were on, but I was bow person in a friend's canoe and we came into one of those multi-culvert low bridges and the canoe went sideways against the right-side dirt abutment of the bridge, with the stern half along the bank and the bow half against the first pipe. The canoe turned over when the current hit it and his cow dog went right through that pipe and came out the other side. He just swam to shore, a bit shaken but no worse for wear and tear. I was hanging on to the top of the same pipe, trying not to follow the dog. Managed to get my foot up on the pipe so I could pull myself out of there and onto the road. We had to pull the canoe out of the current against that pipe. He wasn't happy. I learned a lot about culverts and water that day.

Last edited:
Back