• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

So how was Canoecopia?

Reaction score
How was it? Did anybody meet up and did you see Harlan? Was there anybody from WCPP? How bout' Wabakimi Project?
It must have been nice to be among all those canoes-they still have some canoes there right?:rolleyes:

When we hit 1000 members, I'm going to have a both with Oldie Moldie handing out membership applications!

The show was great Robin! I think you were the only one who was not there. I ran into and visited with a lot of people from the on-line community. The show is really big but as the years go by the time spent eating and visiting with others becomes the real highlight. Kevin Callan and Larry Ricker both did fantastic presentations on WCPP. No park staff from WCPP were at the Ontario Parks booth but Ontario Tourism has a focus on WCPP this year and have a contest with the winner getting a huge package deal and outfitted fly-in trip to the park. Harlan of Red Lake Outfitters was there with a booth and was busy handling the whole job of answering questions about WCPP. I hope next year the park is able to have someone at the Ont. parks booth. It was needed because it seems to be on a lot of paddlers destination lists. Uncle Phil and his crew were there and were able to give a presentation this year on the Wabikimi Project.

Oh, and there are still a lot of canoes at the show. We canoeist complain about floor space given up to kayaks and the new kid (stand up paddling) but we are spoiled. It is a great show and sometimes we may come off as being critical. I saw old canoes in one corner, picked out a tarp from Cooke Sewing's vast assortment, found some Hok skis I needed, checked out a lot of other great products and sat in on some great presentations. Hope you can make the trip sometime.

I'll do it but you'd better hurry. Every three to four weeks I get a flyer in the mail; offer from the Neptune Society....some sort of pre-paid cremation plan. After a while I get to wondering if they know something I don't. Then again, if they're offering maybe it means they don't expect to have to deliver soon; wonder how many customer complaints they get? I can never figure these things out.

So...who went and what was it like?

Best Wishes, Rob

Whoa Hoss!!! I like you Robin, but the only people I share the tub with is my dog and that's when she's getting a bath and tries to escape. Then we get to wrestling around and it's often not clear just who is getting the bath.

But a BOOTH is something else entirely.

Rob

Ha!!- I rely on spell check and it got me there....both should have been booth, not bath, but I won't edit it cause then others wouldn't get the joke.

Maybe Oldie Moldie with a sandwich board teaching everyone the CT secret handshake:)

Marten, Thanks for the update, it sounds like a nice way to spend some time while the lakes are hard.

Got it. Next year I will look for two guys taking a bath in a booth and I'l be able to meet you both. I walked around for two days and the only one I recognized was Harlan. Please wear name tags so I know which is which.

Sorry, wasn't there. And probably never will be again.(I went once) There is so much paddling to be done and so little time!

I went for the first time. I enjoyed most of the sessions I attended and had a good time looking at all the booths. As I looked at the mass of humanity, I thought about how almost all of us will drive hours and hours and hours to get to a place where there is no one else, but for one weekend in the winter, we drive hours and hours and hours to gather together. I guess a good display of canoes will do that. :)

.... almost all of us will drive hours and hours and hours to get to a place where there is no one else, but for one weekend in the winter, we drive hours and hours and hours to gather together. I guess a good display of canoes will do that. :)

Yes, Ain't it the truth.

Wcha

Wcha

~~The Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (wcha.org) was represented at Canoecopia this past weekend....I understand that well over 20,000 people attended the event IMG_0334.jpgon Saturday....had a great time....lots of cool people to hang out with....be back next year for sure ~~

How was it? Did anybody meet up and did you see Harlan? Was there anybody from WCPP? How bout' Wabakimi Project?
It must have been nice to be among all those canoes-they still have some canoes there right?:rolleyes:

When we hit 1000 members, I'm going to have a both with Oldie Moldie handing out membership applications!

Robin: Weather is a big factor each year in the success of Canoecopia. This year's show enjoyed mild temperatures and the hallways, aisles and meeting rooms were packed--especially on Saturday, traditionally the most popular day of the 3-day event. The early-Spring annual trek to Mad City is made by those seeking relief from a cabin fever in the hope that they will soon be on the water.

The Wabakimi Project booth in the Atrium was busy as usual and I encourage you and Oldie Moldie to seriously consider applying next year for booth space for this very worthwhile non-profit bulletin board.

Back