• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Snow Reports Please

Reaction score
Down here on Long Island it was kinda a dudd...NWS kept saying 10-16 right up until I think the first rain drops fell. We received mostly a mixture of snow, sleet and rain totaling about 4inches tops. Other sources were more skeptical about the big snow dump. But anyway...

Would like to know your location and how much snow you received. Will have an influence on paddling and fishing in the near future of course. If you care to share, please do.

Thx!

In upstate NY we received anywhere from 16-20 inches. The Albany weather channel reported 40" at Whiteface over the past 48 hours. The amount of snow coupled with the wind and cold mean we will have snow for several more weeks.

Just south of the New England Mason Dixon Line we got about 12" +/-, hard to tell with all the blowing snow.

Merrimack Valley 14+/- my driveway 2 feet+ Lawrence only place to officially get a blizzard

23 inches 30 mi NW of Portland Maine. Neighbors came over by snowshoe Tues for dinner. They wore ski pants hats face coverings you name it and when they got here required wine rewarming.. Charlie Wilson got 44 inches in Saranac Lake NY.

12" of lof moisture fluff here at Turtle Pond in WNY. Real pretty and the wind finally stopped.

Here in central NYS the prediction was for 18" but in the end it was closer to 36". We live between Oneonta & Cooperstown and that's what we measured on our snow gauge; AKA: the patio table that sits outside our kitchen. Some folks around us got up to 40". The bigger surprise was how fluffy it still is. My poor dog can't get off to do her business without sinking out of sight.

That's all for now. Take care and best of luck in moving all that snow. Until next time...be well.

snapper

At my house (Colonie, NY) we got a little over 20"
In Watervliet (most of my rental properties) it's just under 24"
At Petersburg Pass (where I am BC skiing tomorrow) there's a touch over 25"
At Plattekill Mt (Roxbury, NY where I'll ski lift served on Sat) there was 44" to 48" plus some lake effect, and another 4" to 8" expected tomorrow.

Will all the snows affect the paddling? Only for the spring whitewater season...flatwater paddling is more dependent upon copious and consistent rainfall.

Representing north-central RI, we got about 5" after all was said and done, after which it promptly froze to the consistency of concrete. About 10 miles north of me in the NW corner, they got 13".

-rs

Snow report? I got yer snow report right heah (jiggling nutsack demonsratively)

We only got about 8 inches, but it is a layer cake of snow, sleet, snow, freezing rain, snow. Tiny flakes, big flakes, corn snow, pea snow, heavy sleet, freezing rain. Every dang way water came come down frozen except hail.

We broke two snow shovels trying to get just the top of the driveway clear enough to park a couple cars near the road. My truck has been stranded at the bottom of the hill all week (still is). I finally brought the one 4WD vehicle down this morning. It rode down the driveway, and is now parked at the bottom, on top of the snow.

Those broken snow shovels were pricey Christmas gifts to my sons a few years ago. Festively wrapped under the tree and everything. Three guesses what these are you lucky boys!

I doubt I’ll be finding replacement snow shovels this month, so I know what the boys are getting for Christmas next year.

I was in shorts and tee shirt two weeks ago in NC. I came home for this?

Right heah (jiggle).

Edit: Location, the notorious “Hereford Zone” along the Mason-Dixon Line. Locals simply call it the “Zone”, Great place to be a kid; when all other county schools were open or two hours late you could depend on hearing those glorious words over the radio in the morning “Hereford Zone closed”.

Last edited:
We getta break!! Not getting this weekends storm. my roof unloaded a four foot pile of snow on the deck..ugh

Snow report? I got yer snow report right heah (jiggling nutsack demonsratively)

We only got about 8 inches, but it is a layer cake of snow, sleet, snow, freezing rain, snow. Tiny flakes, big flakes, corn snow, pea snow, heavy sleet, freezing rain. Every dang way water came come down frozen except hail.

We broke two snow shovels trying to get just the top of the driveway clear enough to park a couple cars near the road. My truck has been stranded at the bottom of the hill all week (still is). I finally brought the one 4WD vehicle down this morning. It rode down the driveway, and is now parked at the bottom, on top of the snow.

Those broken snow shovels were pricey Christmas gifts to my sons a few years ago. Festively wrapped under the tree and everything. Three guesses what these are you lucky boys!

I doubt I’ll be finding replacement snow shovels this month, so I know what the boys are getting for Christmas next year.

I was in shorts and tee shirt two weeks ago in NC. I came home for this?

Right heah (jiggle).

Edit: Location, the notorious “Hereford Zone” along the Mason-Dixon Line. Locals simply call it the “Zone”, Great place to be a kid; when all other county schools were open or two hours late you could depend on hearing those glorious words over the radio in the morning “Hereford Zone closed”.

Good luck with the shovel search Mike. I hope you find a few that hold up. I think it time to relocate outta Hereford. 😉

The reports are appreciated! Keep'm coming...more snow this weekend? We had a change in forecast overnight....went from almost 6" down to 1-2" now.

Be safe everyone...

No snow shovels? Aubuchon and Paris Farmers Union still have lots In the summer you can buy one too . It might be in storage but you can ask.. They bring the winter stuff out at the end of August.

Snow shovels are mostly plastic nowadays. I have two plastic snow pushing shovels that do the job admirably (one outside each door); the blades have worn down from all the concrete and asphalt grinding. They still have a few years left in them. For heavy as sand snow I use a scoop. Also plastic, but in the shovel world this is a wheel barrow. Scoop up a wheel barrow sized portion and then slide it away. It'll even take on layers, cutting them out like birthday cake. On snowy days I take out the garbage with it too. (A real wheel barrow the rest of the year.)
You can tell who is the retired farmer in our suburban neighbourhood. He has a goodly sized tractor in his carport. And a blade. Given your geographical location in a snow belt and your natural curiosity for experiments I'd of thought a tractor and blade would be right up your driveway so to speak. But if all else fails, maybe you could get Alan to make you a farmersexual snow shovel. If anyone can turn an every day utilitarian item into a solid sleek design he can.

Snow shovels are mostly plastic nowadays. I have two plastic snow pushing shovels that do the job admirably (one outside each door); the blades have worn down from all the concrete and asphalt grinding. They still have a few years left in them. For heavy as sand snow I use a scoop. Also plastic, but in the shovel world this is a wheel barrow. Scoop up a wheel barrow sized portion and then slide it away. It'll even take on layers, cutting them out like birthday cake. On snowy days I take out the garbage with it too. (A real wheel barrow the rest of the year.)
You can tell who is the retired farmer in our suburban neighbourhood. He has a goodly sized tractor in his carport. And a blade. Given your geographical location in a snow belt and your natural curiosity for experiments I'd of thought a tractor and blade would be right up your driveway so to speak. But if all else fails, maybe you could get Alan to make you a farmersexual snow shovel. If anyone can turn an every day utilitarian item into a solid sleek design he can.

We still have a couple working snow shovels, including an all metal beast.

Some of the snow shovel destruction may have been my fault. I usually at least supervise the snow removal at the top of the driveway, but instead tackled the sidewalks,decks, bottom of the hill and turn around area near the house. When stuff is that concrete crusty the (supervisory suggested) technique is to chop it into igloo-building sized blocks with the flat blade coal shovel and then remove each weighty block.

I also neglected to spray the snow shovel blades with silicon before the boys departed for the top of the hill. My bad.

I dream of owning a small tractor with a blade. No carport, so it would end up in the shop garage and I’d have to exile some boats. I have almost taken the tractor plunge a few times, always dissuaded by the feeling that I’d buy one, we wouldn’t get any significant snow for couple winters and I’d spend two years looking at the dang thing (and my bank balance) having buyer’s remorse.

I had a snow plow guy for a couple of years, until he got his truck well and truly stuck halfway down the driveway a few winters ago. The dirt/stone driveway is that bad/steep.

I was at least this smart in preparation. The wife and son’s car got moved to the top before the snow got bad. I did grocery shopping and bought the Washington Post, NY Times and local papers before the snow started. And a couple cases of beer. Although my truck was stranded the bottom (no room left up top) I really didn’t need to go anywhere for several days, and the shop was toasty warm.

Retirement hath its benefits. Especially on snow days (weeks).

Back