• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

​Slow packing

G

That’s it, I’m done. That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97kbv4mbsc

If I can find a window between snow and ice storms I’m heading south.

South without much of a plan, so I’m packing for everything from sub-freezing to near balmy and possibly buggy, depending on how long I stay and how far south I get.

A four seasons range of gear. After visiting the sleeping bag closet I had stuffed three bags and started to get confused about which was which. Those bags go in specific kept-with-them stuff bags, but none of those bags had an ID label on the stuff bag string.

Oh heck, neither do any of the hammock bags and straps. Nor the Tundra Tarp, or the TT apex wind block I’m taking this trip. The new Hubba Hubba and gear shed stuff bag is lacking a tag and it looks a lot like the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation HH with questionable zippers.

I thought I had tagged most of the gear specific stuff bags, but I guess not. Clear packing tape, a printer and hole punched tag tied to the drawstring takes care of that oversight.

Er, those oversights. Rinse and repeat. I keep finding gear bags that could use an ID tag. Water filters, raingear bag, compression bag for winter clothes/gloves/hat, hammock bug net. Many confusing stuff bags.

Slow packing, just whiling away a snowy afternoon. I won’t amortize those couple of hours spent making stuff bag tags anytime soon, but it is worth the convenience even in the short run

Now I just need a travel window between storms to head south.

That sounds like a good decision, though by time you get done labeling and organizing all your gear it may be spring. Packing for southbound trips in the middle of winter is always fun. Everything from shorts to snowshoes gets loaded in the van.

Alan

Have fun. Wish I could go. Not packing. It's too tiring to think of. Guess I am doomed to highs of 15 and frozen pipes. It's been below zero every night since Jan 1. Can't wait to be loose. Everyone that is healthy be thankful.

by time you get done labeling and organizing all your gear it may be spring.

Everything I am bringing that is stuff bagged or ditty bagged is now labeled, as well as the most confusing to me ad alts in the gear room. I am very color blind, so stuff sack color is entirely unhelpful without a peek inside.

Packing for southbound trips in the middle of winter is always fun. Everything from shorts to snowshoes gets loaded in the van.

Last fall when I spurred south I ended up staying longer than planned and had to buy a second set of warm clothes while on the road. This time I have full winter gear, layers of fleece, capiline, gloves, wool socks, insulated shoes, furry hat.

I packed just one pair of shorts, one tee shirt. Please let me have to stop at WallyWorld to buy more shorts and tee shirts this time.

The south-east US will have to do now that the Siberian Express has come to stay, but oh to be in

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/chiricahua/national_monument.html

That's the one thing I like about my magic bus. I keep all my favorite canoe and camping gear, and much outdoor clothing, in it permanently.

I'm always ready to go.

Except . . . the MB is such a gas pig, I can't usually afford to go further than a few miles.

Have a good trip Mike. Write if you find work.

I can always find work, or maybe work finds me. I’ve been spending a couple of months a year camped in the back-40 of a friend’s properties, either along the South River in NC or out in the Chiricahuas. There is always something to work on, and I bring tools.

I’ll write if I find trip. I’ve had boat and tripping gear packed on the last couple of NC visits and managed a single day trip.

By hook or crook I will get out this time in the Carolinas. Or keep heading south.

You're heading south!! I am North, leaving for the Daks in the morning. A little BC skiing, family visit and possible canoe purchase. Plus these MD temps are too warm. I hear the Daks will be -19F tonight and not much better for the rest of the week. I'm grabbing a hostel for 3 or 4 nights instead of camping. My gear is good just not that good. I doubt skiing will be very good either, lots of snow but too slow due to temps. Looking forward to frozen waterfalls and a wee bit of Irish whiskey
Anyway Mike, have fun in the sun, i'll be headed down there soon enough.

@yellow: hang in there.

That’s it, I’m done. That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97kbv4mbsc

If I can find a window between snow and ice storms I’m heading south.

South without much of a plan, so I’m packing for everything from sub-freezing to near balmy and possibly buggy, depending on how long I stay and how far south I get.

. . .

2015 Everglades Challenge starts in 10 days from Fort De Soto. Your MR Monarch would fit right in.

Have a good trip Mike. Write if you find work.

Found lots of work. Two weeks of work in the NC swamps , but early next week I hope to head to the coast.

Shorts, tee shirt and the first chigger bites of the year.

Back