How do you answer your wife when she asks, “how many boats do you have?”
That's easy. When an elderly life-long family friend (Bob) wanted to paddle just one more 90 mile race in his home made kayak as he turned 80, but the race director did not want to let him due to health concerns. I offered to accompany him in a suitable solo canoe I longed for, but did not yet have, which was an acceptable solution. So asked my wife if she would like to have a shiny brand new Placidboat Rapidfire of her own. And could I then borrow YOUR canoe so our friend could paddle his last race, she agreed. Our 90 race went well, and Bob was happy.
Years later, when my wife's knees got too painful to enter and exit a canoe, I got for her a (cough) SOT kayak to use at our camp lake. I have paddled the RF as my training canoe until I silently picked up a couple of other solos in the meantime, including a PB Shadow that she secretly ordered for me for our 50th anniversary. Then just this year, our granddaughter wanted to paddle the 90 with me and 2 others of my usual race team. The answer to that was to get and refurbish a used C4.
The answer to the OP's question, by the way, is 13 canoes and just one wife, to date.