• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

Bonjour bien a vous tous,, Hello everyone,

D 21 Nissan 1994 diesiel

Ha le p'tit camion diesel... J'ai eu un Toyota Hilux Surf diesel, but I rolled it and so I don't have it anymore.... I wish we could buy those small diesel truck easily here in Canada.

Current boat toter, Wenonah Rendezous and OT Penobscot with four gunwale stops on each bar. Note the no-rub-together, kept separated hull spacing.

P4041766 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Mid-rise cap, so the bows clear the cab roof

P4201877 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Glamour shot

P4171848 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Plenty of room for two decked canoes on those 78” Thule bars.

P8113138 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

In the boxes of slides and print are photos of earlier boat toters, especially the big Ford van with four 8 foot crossbars and four canoes all racked gunwales down. Someday I need to get a scanner. And, glup, learn how to use it.

Just finished painting the bottom and putting 3 coats of Teak oil on all the woodwork of my 13' Merrimack Osprey, this is my backwater boat. Gonna take the pup and do a bit of paddling and fishing in the backwaters of the ol Mississippi this weekend.

IMG_20200416_124209.jpg

Main boat vehicle is an 05 Tacoma with 78" bars. I have an 07 RAV4 in silver with 52" bars, and I have a rack for the Jeep Wrangler coming tomorrow, suitable for one canoe. This is the day I met up with Dave Curtis in Lock Haven PA to pick up a new canoe.

48668135692_a06593b8ff_c.jpg

Reactions: Tom
2006 Prius, 80k miles, about to get a 1.5" lift, trailer hitch, stiffer springs and sway bars. Royalex Bell Wildfire, nuff said. Taken off the Denali Highway at Windy Creek with Clearwater Mountains in the background. Fresh of paddling down the Tangle Lakes Delta River route.

Monel

Attachments

• photo15152.jpg
    photo15152.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 6
  • prius canoe 1.jpg
    prius canoe 1.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
2006 Prius, 80k miles, about to get a 1.5" lift, trailer hitch, stiffer springs and sway bars. Royalex Bell Wildfire, nuff said. Taken off the Denali Highway at Windy Creek with Clearwater Mountains in the background. Fresh of paddling down the Tangle Lakes Delta River route.

Monel

Awesome. Blows up all my preconceived notions of what a "real" tripping vehicle looks like!!

2011 Jeep Rubicon with a Merrimack Prospector 16'.

Attachments

• photo15217.jpg
    photo15217.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
My wrangler unlimited with Yakima drydock and drip rail system, my F150 uses the Yakima outdoorsman.

Attachments

• photo15218.jpg
    photo15218.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 3
‘15 Forester, Blackhawk Shadow 15’8” “SS Special”, Penguin Feet pads/straps (my winter carrier, normally Yakima 78” bars)

Attachments

• photo15226.jpg
    photo15226.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 4
182.JPG

Two of my favourite canoe vehicles. At the end of a trip, the canoe has been transferred to the 2015 Subaru Crosstrek from the 1979 Cessna 185-F.

Aircraft are very lightweight. The Cessna, with me, the pilot, my gear, 400 miles of fuel and the canoe on board weighed almost exactly what the Subaru does empty.

Attachments

• 182.JPG
    182.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 1
Some nice vehicles here. Anyone ever hesitate to leave their ride at a remote trailhead? I've never had an issue, but heard some horror stories. I used to remove my canoe racks to stow inside the vehicle, but that's the least worrisome thing. Lately, I try to use an outfitter's parking lot and get a shuttle to the put in, but that's not always possible.

Any hints on getting a canoe rack on a 2018 Outback would be appreciated. Stupid factory track and cross bars.

Black_Fly, Yakima has an adapter to attach their Skyline tower to your rails allowing for aftermarket crossbar lengths. I believe you remove the factory ones, but they may just stay stowed along the side rail, it’s been a while since I did one. Thule may (probably) have the same thing, but I’ve never looked.

Never had an issue yet (in the USA) leaving my car, though 90% of the time it’s been at moderate to high traffic BWCA EPs. I too have heard horror stories.

There’s such a variety of vehicles and canoes being showcased here, very cool!

Blackfly...another thing, if you go with a yakima system you can get locks. I park at trailheads all the time and never a problem. I'm sure thule has a similiar system. You can go to Yakima website and plug in your vehicle and they will tell you what works for a rack system.

Back