• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Show me your canoe truck

Loaded and ready to head north to the Whitney Wilderness area early tomorrow morning. Gonna turn 70 next month so I need to do this route while I'm still young!

That's the spirit! Good luck and watch out for muck.

I'm bringing a water bladder to add weight forward since my gear bag alone isn't heavy enough to counterbalance my weight- no matter how far forward I stow it.

Move the bleeping seat forward, reposition the thwarts, and use a removable portage thwart. You paddle a canoe exponentially more miles than you portage it, so ideal paddling position and trim are far more important than a permanent central portage thwart. JMO.

View attachment 133081
Still looking for a roof rack that isn’t a set of four/2 bars

Looks like you’re using a T-hitch rack that plugs into your receiver hitch. I am too. I ordered a Rhino Rack single bar from etrailer.com and the pair foot pack from some other vendor ‘cause etrailer was out. I went with the HD bar and it starts whistling at about 20mph. Think of it as an extra safety measure in neighborhoods with kids 😁

What are your thoughts on Rhino Rack? They seem to have stepped up their quality. Maybe I’ll look into them

What are your thoughts on Rhino Rack? They seem to have stepped up their quality. Maybe I’ll look into them

I’m quite happy with mine. I was surprised how much of the feet/towers are plastic, but honestly if it’s good enough for firearms and power tools, it ought to handle roof racks just fine. A set of feet I got for the work truck’s rack made by Yakima were also largely made of plastic. I’ve had my cab bar for going on 2 years now with no problems. I’ve taken it off and reinstalled with no issues. As I said the HD bar whistles and howls, but I imagine anything 71” long will. Just turn up the tunes! Or carry kids with you, they pretty well drown out anything 🤣

Last edited:
I live on the east coast and haven't missed four-wheel drive since I got my first van in 2001. The van is so easy to transport boats on, and so awesome for changing and sleeping in.
View attachment 133083
Where do you tie the forward orange strap to on the underside of the Odyssey ?
I just bought a 2023 Honda Odyssey and was surprised that it doesn’t have front towing eyes I can tie a forward tie down straps to

I just bought a 2023 Honda Odyssey and was surprised that it doesn’t have front towing eyes I can tie a forward tie down straps to

Hey Joebh,
My Odyssey has a tow eye/jack point right in the center about a foot back. The picture below shows it.

I use this position by itself for my 16 ft canoe, really just as an emergency line. The 18ft canoe needs the side straps. Those are secured to carabineers hooked to the fender legs. I don't trust stuff being held down by the hood latch alone, and normally route the straps over the hood hinges.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-190435.png
    Screenshot_20221107-190435.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 14
I use 4wd sometimes to get out of my driveway. It is a way of life in the West.
It really just helps me get stuck in worse places.
Getting unstuck takes some innovation and hard work.

Tb8mk4KKKw_H2PEibJs9894f2i7BSxnJhZULu9x_Y0ZuKxQw2wPccKwUPTQyoRu2EQbAFRLhA5LRT5zsnBF5jI5_IIKmQxoj9CNhm189atAMoJ0UMrCGWGpOjRqYb_t7rZa5FMyEPfF6Bu3c9n-7DoH8GHRzeloi8h9BUzQ7yIV2YomTvhC9GA2Nyki0Xq0_86Fj4zPzmYkBU8Xe4uFvj6KX5qxim2H5m2QIaOX03ep3mb6J9_RxPhXs8Zr6a2TCLdUNs18Q3CuUB5kCyyMP2B28fcglP0pZvXq3vvDc4pcWHkHgeg4h207QmMaUtbYgm5Ny5rC0JZdUMymV6zDA98Ui6ipyoxt9Bq4qixSsH2JIF5P5hagW171U-vDSGkquTRxYNZaHq1-7p90xo5ZH1No2HCKSKwBFlBzPYdiMHUvEVcfTQoYfbgpP7kFGLM5YiJI-qf9pmAwDkS5EnJ_ruyLvbE_Zm5F1wrIZE0gXCsyunB-tABSO5nBZFvDHlAJ_Sl8SmUPSbju-I1-CX4l-zo5df0foYtfAWAGS3Iuyyz2uE5aRTntITfGA22QSmz1GgCBKq8RHLGB478iAhy5aa8kuSTj40plgymJG4lmDR5h9CaXSwTl-picjo0EULZtGPPEmbWuL5M9XNBH1bvOBLeyyhdf_TL7RZ8Gyjx-sLmlpOrgx-1Ll4gJxoH0fOtBX_QLJdfzegkdWJWOhR9wX8PkjgcRikKwUkPuBtoJpa69AoI1AntI9gi61BboW1GN7zfVpNM7ZendyYI8QAFvNQyL7LlDm5qXPRbi397mZgJbJ3ma6PYnt42ey4FHmYlIH6ikFSJmKLwUyD3LZvocx0a3KTQ5uR5qd3ian2N2druR3A_JafcshY1KnaICstwi59SKgbzrT6bWEYq-LPQzGcYoEpVJo-uun2cNyTAi0SQDb=w1204-h903-no

I thought long and hard about retiring my '94 Ranger this winter after I lost compression on the 2nd cylinder (the first died on the way home from the BWCA in '21) but, in the end, I decided that I've become quite used to not having car payments. The frame & body were remarkably solid for having spent 30 years as a daily driver in PA so I grabbed a used engine out of my buddy's yard and 400,000 miles does not seem unreasonable at this point. (if I can keep the stupid deer off the front bumper)

Here is Old Town's 34 foot war canoe form on a flat bed truck at the factory in Maine, heading to Massachusetts as I have posted before. The link below has the full story about this.

Benson

DSCN9664a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my 1984 Ford F-250 Diesel with a 32 foot voyageur canoe, heading to the Adirondack 90-miler canoe race.
That would have been the IH 6.9L, right? Serious overkill in terms of torque for that load but that engine outlasted most of the trucks it was in.
Old Town's 34 foot war canoe form on a flat bed truck at the factory in Maine, heading to Massachusetts
Talk about overkill... might be the lightest load ever hauled on that trailer (glad it was claimed though & not destroyed)

Here is Old Town's 34 foot war canoe form on a flat bed truck at the factory in Maine, heading to Massachusetts as I have posted before. The link below has the full story about this.

Benson

View attachment 134613

Well that left me hanging. Your last post noted the form was available again and you had a FB link. Was there a resolution?

Back