Should you have to pay the costs of a rescue?

Although charging the frivolous could usefully deter unnecessary rescues it could also deter some necessary ones. We've seen that as ambulance fees in Winnipeg have risen low income families have delayed calling for help which to later complications.
I can see that in an urban situation but I doubt too many people in a back country emergency would say "no thanks, I might get charged".

I think you underestimate how careful with their cash some Canadians are!
Although it might not prevent a call for help it could delay it. Think of someone with belly pain, maybe it's appendicitis? Maybe we'll give it 24 hours to see what happens? Or a head injury, how long do you wait for an evacuation?

Although charging the frivolous could usefully deter unnecessary rescues it could also deter some necessary ones. We've seen that as ambulance fees in Winnipeg have risen low income families have delayed calling for help which to later complications.
My experience was exactly the opposite.. Because of govt subsidies people used the ambulance as a taxi. It was really annoying in Connecticut. Here in Maine we are allowed to refuse to transport a person if there is no need to go by ambulance.

The discussion I believe was not about all rescues but those whose necessity was caused by negligence.

It's probably hard to compare, but here in Switzerland everyone who needs to be rescued receives an invoice. It doesn't matter how well prepared he was, or whether he got into an emergency out of his own fault. The rescued person is responsible for the cost of a rescue. So far I've always assumed that when I was out and about in the North American wilderness.

It's probably hard to compare, but here in Switzerland everyone who needs to be rescued receives an invoice. It doesn't matter how well prepared he was, or whether he got into an emergency out of his own fault. The rescued person is responsible for the cost of a rescue. So far I've always assumed that when I was out and about in the North American wilderness.
But doesn't Europe (or the Alps, specifically) have a very functional rescue insurance program? I've read that climbers in the Alps are a lot more likely to call for a rescue than NA climbers and the SAR services (including private helos) are more extensive and more commonly relied upon.

But doesn't Europe (or the Alps, specifically) have a very functional rescue insurance program? I've read that climbers in the Alps are a lot more likely to call for a rescue than NA climbers and the SAR services (including private helos) are more extensive and more commonly relied upon.
Yes we do have that. If you have to be airlifted out by helicopter and you are donater/member of "rega" (Swiss Air-Rescue) for example, you'll get an invoice but they don't force you to pay it. That doesn't change the fact that you are responsible for the cost of a rescue. I agree that a lot of climbers in the Alps are a lot more likely to call for a rescue. I think it's a shame how some people "call for a taxi" if it wasn't necessary. I know of some cases where people had to pay for the "taxi service".

Greetings from Switzerland
André

My wife and I have hiked all over in the Smokey Mountains Park. We've never had any issues that required getting rescued, of course we go prepared and had a thought out plan. I would feel sorry for some rescue person to have to carry me out of these hills. But I do know that a helicopter ride to a hospital is around 50,000.

My wife and I have hiked all over in the Smokey Mountains Park. We've never had any issues that required getting rescued, of course we go prepared and had a thought out plan. I would feel sorry for some rescue person to have to carry me out of these hills. But I do know that a helicopter ride to a hospital is around 50,000.
Actually, on NPS lands (and most Federal lands), rescues are without charge, funded through a special federal SAR account, and they can usually get you to a hospital (otherwise there might be a transfer, which may or may not be included).

I'm pretty confident the NPS Rangers would do all they can for someone.

I think, if it was deemed an unnecessary rescue, or the people being rescued were being stupid, and it put the rescuers lives in danger, then they should be fined. But this should decided by a NPS official or other non-profit agency. This should not be decided by a for profit entity.

I'm pretty confident the NPS Rangers would do all they can for someone.

I think, if it was deemed an unnecessary rescue, or the people being rescued were being stupid, and it put the rescuers lives in danger, then they should be fined. But this should decided by a NPS official or other non-profit agency. This should not be decided by a for profit entity.
Like who for the for profit entity? I don't think that ever entered the equation here.

Apologies. I guess I've missed the main point. Having the thought of being rescued, has always made me wonder about being transported to a care facility. I guess that's the least thing to worry about.

Apologies. I guess I've missed the main point. Having the thought of being rescued, has always made me wonder about being transported to a care facility. I guess that's the least thing to worry about.
I think the costs of a rescue pale in comparison to the costs later which will make you lose any hair you currently possess!