• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Shop trick – getting the most out of squeeze tubes

G

AKA Easy Squeezin

You all know I am frugal, some might say cheap. And lazy. I don’t like wasting materials, or working harder than I have to. I recently started using a toothpaste tube squeezer at the bathroom sink.

P4040007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That is (was) a full size toothpaste tube, not a mini. Good to the last drop, nothing left in the tube. Cheap, and lazy.

Those fancy mechanical versions came as a two pack, so I started using the extra one in the shop. I use a surprising variety of stuff that comes in squeeze tubes; E-6000, Loctite, Vinyl adhesive, JB Kwik Weld, etc.

Squeezing and fold rolling those tubes leaves a lot of material wasted in the creases and crinkles of the tube, especially visible if you unfold a near empty tube for a looksee at what you left behind.

P4040008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those toothpaste tube squeeezers are also sold as a simple twist key. I bought a twelve-pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Xinhongo-Stainless-Toothpaste-Squeezers-Bathroom/dp/B07SJ3Q559/ref=sr_1_7?crid=12Q4IBIGRNI1J&dchild=1&keywords=to othpaste+tube+key+squeezer&qid=1617638304&sprefix= toothpast+tube+key%2Caps%2C442&sr=8-7

P4040012 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

At a buck apiece I can amortize that $12 in un-wasted glues and sealants in a few months. And I have a feeling that the dregs remaining in the tubes will keep better/longer when the empty part is tightly rolled.

I’m sure other folks have been doing this for years. Dammit, nobody ever told me.

Back