• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Shop/Office Ventilation Improvement

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
(ie, another “DUH” moment)

I know some of you have serious exhaust systems in your shop. Some of you have serious shop tools; I have neither, and use little dual-fan window units, typically blowing out a shop window to extract fumes. With a Sharpied arrow on top, so I remember to stick it in place pushing air out.“This way to egress”. (Old carnival sideshow trick, “Oh hurry, I want to see the egress”)

PC080017 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those fans are busted up, missing side panels and don’t fill the window gaps sufficiently.

I ran an intact one in a bedroom window, but sometimes wanted that fan blowing out, sometimes blowing in. PITA to remember take out and 180 to switch directions as desired. My son gave me a larger fan with reversible dual blades last year, perfect for in-or-out bedroom window use.

(BTW, if you don’t have, or don’t use AC and do have double-hung windows, one window fan blowing out at the top, one blowing in at the bottom. Hot air rises; ours are ganged on a single switch to flip on an hour before bed)

Wintertime I didn’t need that reversible fan in the bedroom and, whadda ya know, the in-out aspect is even nicer in the Louie De Palma office-to-shop interior window.

PC090020 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That De Palma window unit is often blowing out from the office, so I can retreat inside, shut the door, crack open the outside office window and have fresh one-way airflow while paint or epoxy cures in the stinky shop.

But some unstanky times, like when I’m heating the shop, it is good to have that fan blowing into office. With all the other shop windows closed for winter warmth, I can still crack the exterior office window and exhaust, uh, smoke fumes, so I’m not attempting to hotbox desk work.

Controls inside the office of course.

PC090021 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Guess I need to buy another one before next summer; the flip-a-switch reversibility has already been a functional joy, and that one is not coming out of the De Palma window. Sometimes it’s the little should-have-been obvious things.

Back