• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

shock cord for tent poles

Reaction score
Both tents not used in a year and shock cord is shot. Anyone know size and length needed for a Copper Spur 3? Same question, Eureka Timberline 4? And can I reuse the stoppers or need new? Thanks!

I don't have those tents, but have done this to other pole tents. I try to match shock cord diameter (reference old one), length should be slightly longer then poles to accommodate knots or stoper. In the end the shock cord should have little to no tension on it when poles are together. If you are gentle you can reuse stoppers but I am not sure what yous are like. Getting ready for a trip?

Shock cord length when NOT under tension should be about 70 - 75% of the length of the assembled poles, if the cord has no tension on it when assembled then it's not doing anything and is pointless.

From the Quest Outfitters site
"To determine the amount of shock cord you need as a general rule you use as much shockcord as the total length of the poles you are stringing (ie: an 8 foot pole would use 8 feet of shockcord). Usually by the time you tie your knot there is enough tension but if you need them tighter just re-tie it tighter."

So I have to measure the poles. :(

Timberline works fine with flacid shock cord and no portaging this trip.

Give the manufacturers a call. Big Agnes has a good reputation for customer service, but I have not dealt with Timberline so I don't know their policies. I had this same problem with a tent from Mountain Hardwear and they sent me the shock cord for free. I've found that the higher end brands usually provide service to match the quality of their products.

I just replaced the shock cord in my Marmot tent this week. Coghlins sells pole repair kits and replacement cord for under $4 on Amazon. I matched the length of the poles and it worked well. THe cord gets longer when it ages and loses its elasticity, which makes it hard to put the poles together.

bulk shock cord (elastic cord) is found in most fabric stores and many sporting goods stores easily and for cheap. the method for every pole I've repaired (as a scout leader that's dozens) I've used the same technique- lace the poles together and tape them together, take a piece of stiff wire and feed it through (20- 24ga auto tie wire works great) bend the exposed end into a hook, tie on the elastic and tape, pull the elastic through using your "fish wire" and clamp the end with some small vice grips, clamps are too slippery and as the elastic stretches and thins it will pull out, cut off the wire and knot and washer the end, pull the untied the end until it feels a little tighter than the other poles, move the vice grips to that end and repeat. Ideally, when you release the vice grips it should pull the ends into the poles and still be slightly tighter than original because it will stretch over the first few uses.
On the scout tents I've used 1-2 sizes heavier due to the sustained abuse they see in all four seasons, and some repairs are going on 20 years or more.

Have you contacted Johnson Camping about your Timberline? Eureka used to sell replacement shock cord kits for both the 2 & 4 person Timberline tents. My guess is you might find them elsewhere as well but it might take a deeper dive into various catalogs; although I'd suggest you begin with Campmor if you're going to do that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - It's a bit of a pain but one way to get your tent pole shock cord to last is to open the poles up for storage. When they stay folded up, section by section, it puts a lot of pressure on the cord. Eventually it will lose its elasticity and lead to it flopping around instead of fitting tightly in the pole sections.

Just sent poles for 2 of my tents to Tent Pole Technologies.

As I was getting ready to contact them for an ETA they called me and said they were done.

Used one tent last week - rock solid and better then factory. Great service and the price s right.

Will use them again when it's time.

Have you contacted Johnson Camping about your Timberline? Eureka used to sell replacement shock cord kits for both the 2 & 4 person Timberline tents. My guess is you might find them elsewhere as well but it might take a deeper dive into various catalogs; although I'd suggest you begin with Campmor if you're going to do that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - It's a bit of a pain but one way to get your tent pole shock cord to last is to open the poles up for storage. When they stay folded up, section by section, it puts a lot of pressure on the cord. Eventually it will lose its elasticity and lead to it flopping around instead of fitting tightly in the pole sections.
For Eureka tents contact Johnson Outdoors - (eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com).

Back