• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

River Country Products

Reaction score
Hmmm... Looks reasonable. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the quality.

Robin, there's also this product which is used in the backpacking world to seal tent fly seams. Some tent manufacturers send this along with their tents for the initial user to do the sealing themselves.

https://www.rei.com/product/705425/g...m-sealer-15-oz

And, a slightly different applicator version of the same product:

https://www.rei.com/product/735798/gear-aid-seam-sure-water-based-seam-sealer-2-oz

Thanks Patrick, I have sealed the seams a few times but I can't depend on that anymore. It's an old tent, everything else on it is fine so I figure I'll just throw this fly over it from now on. I have read of folks who do that even with good tents just for added security and a dry tent in the morning.
It's added weight but worth it to me in the case.

Click image for larger version  Name:	i4FSc0A5QI+PhzepuaKSiA.jpg Views:	16 Size:	629.8 KB ID:	126386

Yup, tarp over the perfectly good tent! It's the belt and suspenders approach.... As you said, it makes for a dry tent in the morning, and a dry place under which to pack up all the gear when there's a rainy start!

Last edited:
A lot of modern double wall tents are mostly mesh and can't be pitched in a rain storm without getting the inside wet unless you throw up a tarp first.

FYI you can rewaterproof flies and tarps using silicone even if it wasn't originally a silnylon tarp (or even nylon). There are many tutorials, but this one is where I started. I've found a ratio of 15:1 works fine, but honestly, not sure it matters that much. https://dzjow.com/2012/06/18/how-to-re-coat-a-shelter/

You might check with Northface about warranty. I had an old tent of theirs I hadn't used in years and when I went to unroll it the fly was all stuck together. It had a lifetime warranty and they honored it. The tent was no longer made so they gave me a Northface gift card for the replacement value of the tent, which was around $200. I had a hard time finding anything they made that I wanted but I eventually managed to spend it all.

Alan

That's a good price for sure. I've been thinking of getting a modern lightweight one but I've been stuck on the old "blue" utility tarps. (Now you can get them in brown or green) I don't think the nylon or similar tarps would hold up too good with a fire underneath which I do to keep in heat.

I also put my tarp up over my cooking area. Do you guys who cover their tents bring another tarp for the campfire?

I also put my tarp up over my cooking area. Do you guys who cover their tents bring another tarp for the campfire?

I do, or I will. I appreciate the ideas posted above about applying sealer or returning the tent but I'll just cover it for peace of mind and see how it works.

My last trip I used my only tarp to cover the tent and cooked breakfast in the rain.UGH!

Capture.PNG

Back