• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Results

I'm sending the Hipster to Memaquay...I need a Mike McCrea packaging tutorial. Lots of burly logger types walking the streets of Geraldton Ontario. Small town, word spreads fast..and everyone knows Mem.

If my mail lady hands me your package with rubber gloves on I will know you have done one heck of a job with the label, heck, she may just throw it on the driveway!

Doug, the package is a 2 foot x 2 foot flat. Since it won’t fit in your mailbox I’m hoping Tara will leave it propped up with the embarrassing giant font label facing traffic.

Robin. Place the knife and sheath inside a cardboard tube about 12" long. Wrap it in plain brown paper. Address it to the winner in Geraldton. Put a false return address of: Kinky Toys For Boys. (Vandalay Industries, Latex Division) 123 Chelsea, NYC.
Let the town talk. It's a long, long winter up there.

Last edited:
Is there a problem with sending a knife to Canada?

Don't think so. Maybe you guys remember that epic knife thread from a year or two ago, where I was convinced to buy one of those ugly Mora things. I ended up sending it to Alan as part of a trade for a paddle. Think he might have taken the rusty thing with him on his Bloodvein trip. Something weird....I have a couple of senior students working with me this semester to help me with some very large grade nine classes.Each class has around 30 kids in it, and the little fellas are haywire. Anyway, both senior kids are in my Outers Club too. The semester is almost over, so I ordered them a each a nice folding buck knife as a little gift for their efforts. Both of those knives came in Friday, the same day as the draw. How is it that knives have suddenly become the currency of appreciation? Is it a sign of something? The universe is to complex for my small brain.

Now Robin, Brad's a funny fellow, but the Plaid Prancer is unknown in G Town, let's keep it that way.:)

How is it that knives have suddenly become the currency of appreciation? Is it a sign of something? The universe is to complex for my small brain.

You got me thinking. It seems like knives have been used for bartering and as currency of appreciation for quite some time. Who knows, maybe we are touching on some genetic thread to the past.

Maybe you guys remember that epic knife thread from a year or two ago, where I was convinced to buy one of those ugly Mora things. I ended up sending it to Alan as part of a trade for a paddle.

Yeah, what a deal that was. A carbon paddle for a cheap rusty POS knife. Just kidding. It was a great trade and the knife thrown in the mix was perfect, I got a big kick out of it.

Last weekend I holed up inside my house and forced myself to clean a little. My dad and his 10 year old grandson, Evan, stopped by. Evan is getting to that age where he's starting to think of himself as a young Davy Crocket. I went rummaging through my gear and came up with that little folding shovel with the handle extension and the little Coleman lantern you'd sent me. Also a small camouflage backpack I'd been meaning to get rid of. I showed it him how the shovel worked and his eyes lit up. I told him if he could convince my dad to stop at Ace Hardware they could probably find a fuel canister for the lantern and showed him how the mantles worked. He left with a big grin and when I talked to my dad the next day he said Evan spent all afternoon trudging around the backyard carrying his lantern, taking apart the shovel, putting it back together again, and digging holes in the snowbanks. Just wanted you to be sure you knew your gear was being put to good use.

Alan

I don't know about the bartering thing, but in Neolithic times these edged tools were deposited as offerings in spiritual places (water). Also in the Middle Ages as (pagan) funerary or votive offerings. It's pretty interesting that throughout (non-Christian) history practical items like bowls and knives were highly valued. As well as jewelry they were all a show of status in some cases. It's a cultural thing. Why shouldn't we continue to value practical tools, which also are finely crafted and quite beautiful? The Ripster. A continuum of culture through time.

Now Robin, Brad's a funny fellow, but the Plaid Prancer is unknown in G Town, let's keep it that way.:)

Let’s allow Mem keep what little standing he has with the locals.

It’s too late to recover the tattered remains of Doug’s reputation. The Russian Bride Catalog “Senior Edition” package, covered with photos of toothless Babushkas raised some eyebrows, and the Blow Up Doll Repair Kit, with a photos of a male sex doll put another kink in his character.

Yesterday’s package should assure his notoriety.

Helpful hint: Using the largest font possible assures that such packages will be noticed at every post office and processing center along the way.

Starting to sound like CBC radio here, Alan as The Vinyl Cafe and Brad as Ideas. I hope Trudeau re-invests in CBC radio, some of my favourite memories are of being in a tent in the middle of the bush, listening to CBC radio conversations just like the ones we have on canoetripping. I wonder how the Ripster will work as that secondary antenna that I always need, leaning the knife against the radio at just the right angle to get reception.

I have many good memories of CBC radio. I'm still enjoying it on my commute and in the evenings coming home from wherever. Tremendous variety in music, science, docs and comedy. I'd love to listen to it quietly on canoe trips, but have never tried. I wonder what kind of radio I'd need in northern Ontario, and what kind of signal I'd get?

Way behind as I haven't been to a computer in over a week but I just wanted to add my congrats to Memaquay on his great victory. A special thanks to Rippy for the knife and even more thanks to Robin for keeping this place up and afloat. I know I'm not the only one who'd be lost without my frequent visits to this fine forum.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

A little late to the party too. What a storybook ending. Congrats to Mem. Robin, you put out a great video for the raffle draw with your adorable grand-daughter.

I'd love to listen to it quietly on canoe trips, but have never tried. I wonder what kind of radio I'd need in northern Ontario, and what kind of signal I'd get?

I don’t know if the CBC broadcasts on AM, but Sony makes (made) a small radio with a (disconnectable) ferrite rod antenna and aux external antenna that would reliably pull in distant AM stations. A friend had that one on some trips and I was impressed.

My sole reason for sometimes carrying a small radio is to get some kind of weather forecast when I can’t get a signal on the weather radio.

A Grundig came highly recommended to me, but it turned out to be a piece of kaka. I was looking at a new Sony, might pick one up before canoe season starts.

Back