• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Results

I ordered one of these today.
http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-ICF-S10MK...TF8&qid=1453154780&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+radio

Cheap enough that if it is no good, it won't be a huge disappointment. When I travel solo, I enjoy listening to the radio at night, sometimes I get lucky enough to pick up an episode of Coast To Coast with some weird crap about aliens or sasquatches, puts me in the right mood for a night of sleeping in the bush.

When I travel solo, I enjoy listening to the radio at night, sometimes I get lucky enough to pick up an episode of Coast To Coast with some weird crap about aliens or sasquatches, puts me in the right mood for a night of sleeping in the bush.

You need to get another dog. Someone to talk to and they can be great for fueling paranoia when they stare intently into the black forest abyss and growl at bedtime.

Alan

A radio in the bush??? What for:rolleyes:

People south of our friendly border have the NOAA to keep them alerted to risky weather (http://www.noaa.gov/about-noaa.html), and can tune in to weather warnings on a dedicated receiver (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/).
We have something similar (https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau...n&n=792F2D20-1). Maybe all of you know this already, but it's all news to me.
I've never tripped nor travelled with a radio. I'm still not terribly interested in having a weather radio. I think I'd prefer a transistor radio for evening programmes of music variety and documentaries. And the local/regional weather forecast would be helpful of course. I'm not knocking anyone using a weather radio, nor am I critical of anyone rejecting electronica. I think I might like to listen to something quietly in front of the fire or in the tent some evening, but I'm not sure. There's nothing I miss from my other life at home when I'm tripping, besides family. Sitting in front of a small fire and hearing only the occasional splash from a swimming beaver or wading moose, a distant wolf howl or the scurrying of mice in our gear is usually all I need to hear. And when the snoring starts I might as well listen to a radio if I'm going to plug my ears.

Last edited:
People south of our friendly border have the NOAA to keep them alerted to risky weather (http://www.noaa.gov/about-noaa.html), and can tune in to weather warnings on a dedicated receiver (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/).
We have something similar (https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau...n&n=792F2D20-1). Maybe all of you know this already, but it's all news to me.
I've never tripped nor travelled with a radio. I'm still not terribly interested in having a weather radio. I think I'd prefer a transistor radio for evening programmes of music variety and documentaries. And the local/regional weather forecast would be helpful of course. I'm not knocking anyone using a weather radio, nor am I critical of anyone rejecting electronica. I think I might like to listen to something quietly in front of the fire or in the tent some evening, but I'm not sure. There's nothing I miss from my other life at home when I'm tripping, besides family. Sitting in front of a small fire and hearing only the occasional splash from a swimming beaver or wading moose, a distant wolf howl or the scurrying of mice in our gear is usually all I need to hear. And when the snoring starts I might as well listen to a radio if I'm going to plug my ears.

When I used to sea kayak on the coast of alaska, we carried a radio for that purpose, tide and weather! but to sit in camp and listening to the radio, not for me, I like to listen to the silence when I'm out camping, I'm not an early riser in the day to day life, but I found that I like to get up before every body get the fire going and sit and listen... Enjoy the calmness of the wilderness. Same goes at night I will sit by the fire when most every one are gone to bed...

When I used to sea kayak on the coast of alaska, we carried a radio for that purpose, tide and weather!

I looked into getting a weather radio but it sounds like if you're not near the coast or larger city then you're out of luck.

Alan

When I used to sea kayak on the coast of alaska, we carried a radio for that purpose, tide and weather! but to sit in camp and listening to the radio, not for me.

Same here. Even though I like receiving the day’s forecast every morning I don’t actually enjoy listening to that robotic voice, even less so when my attention wanders and I am forced to listen through another complete cycle until the forecast again comes to my area. In familiar areas I turn the radio off and try to time turning it back on in time to catch the forecast of the immediate area.

I looked into getting a weather radio but it sounds like if you're not near the coast or larger city then you're out of luck.

In areas where I doubt (or know) I’ won't receive a NOAA forecast that is the reason I’ll carry the am/fm/wx radio. I can almost always pick up NOAA coverage on the coast or near population centers. But is surprising how much of the US is covered, even in godforsaken pig country.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/IA.php

Last edited:
In areas where I doubt (or know) I’ won't receive a NOAA forecast that is the reason I’ll carry the am/fm/wx radio. I can almost always pick up NOAA coverage on the coast or near population centers. But is surprising how much of the US is covered, even in godforsaken pig country.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/IA.php

That doesn't surprise me. Iowa doesn't have a large population but there are no vacant areas of the state and farmers like to hear their weather forecasts. I was referring more to northern Ontario and Manitoba which, by the accounts I read at myccr, isn't covered by weather radio outside of populated areas.

Alan

The Weather Radio network seems to cover a fair amount of territory. https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/defau...n&n=F11D11D2-1
I'm just not sold on buying a receiver that's strictly dedicated to weather broadcasts. A transistor like the ones mentioned would provide the gamut from music to comedy, and weather forecasts too. Provided I could receive the signal.
I've thought of the iPod option too. I play mine all the time at home. It hasn't found it's way into my pack yet. Memequay mentioned earlier The Vinyl Cafe. It's a collection of humorous stories by Stuart McLean. His travelling live variety performances are similar to Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion. http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php I have a collection of Vinyl Cafe CDs I could load onto my iPod I suppose. Might be fun to listen to during rainy afternoons stuck under a tarp. His books are a treat.

Last edited:
The Weather Radio network seems to cover a fair amount of territory.
I'm just not sold on buying a receiver that's strictly dedicated to weather broadcasts. A transistor like the ones mentioned would provide the gamut from music to comedy, and weather forecasts too. Provided I could receive the signal.

I have had good success in picking up a signal on the cheap Kaito am/fm/wx, including multiple NOAA broadcasts near and far from the same location and distant am stations in the boonies.

Make that the cheap POS Kaito. The case warped in the heat, which is bad, but the sound quality is as poor as I have ever heard (even before the warpage).

I like the simplicity of that multi-band function enough to replace it and spend more than $20 next time, but it may be like trying on pants; I’ll need to hear the audio quality first.

I want a forecast but I don’t actually “like” listening to the radio, and certainly not if the sound quality sucks.

Questionable sound quality is a good point. I'm not an audiophile but do prefer my music without crackling and hissing. I don't miss vinyl, only vinyl album cover art. I guess that makes me unHipster. Speaking of which (let's go way off topic shall we?), at our family Christmas party my brother enthused that he had a new turntable and software that removed all the annoying noise from vinyl recordings. My son's father-in-law (a radio DJ) said "So essentially you're listening to really big CDs." Ha!! I nearly spilled my drink.
Where was I? Yeah, if I were to listen to something I'd be wearing ear buds, definitely not the radio speakers blasting out into the world. I imagine my wife and I laying in our sleeping bags listening to a radio programme with one ear bud each to share; documentary, music or radio play. Gee. I just realized something. I'm old.

No Title

Flakey my arse. The glitter lettering and spangles are adhered on a bead of Gorilla Glue, with continued to expand for several days into a blobby comic sans font. To assure longevity I over sprayed the sheath with clear acrylic. It is a sheath for the ages, or as long as it takes Memaquay to fashion a new one.

Twisted? Devious? Say what?

I mailed you that steam bent piece of laminated ash today. It may have been the best Post Office reaction to a Doug D package yet. Postman Geoff flipped it over at the counter looking for the faux label he knew would be festooned on the back, muttered “Oh my God” and proceeded to handle it by delicately grasping one corner between his thumb and finger.

Post Mistress Kathy came out from the back to see and for the first time in several years of prank labels looked less amused than horrified.

Say hello to your mail lady Tara for me. Someday you really should introduce yourself to the folks at the Penacook Post Office, so they can match a face with an infamous name.

The next package will be one you have to go and sign for.

Well, Mr. McCrea, I did in fact get your package. The mail person gave me a very odd and long look and acted like they did not want to handle this particular package. I will admit that this was perhaps the best one yet. For those of you who are wondering about what the heck we are talking about here's some pics of the latest package I received from Maryland. I've been getting these packages off and on for a few years now! Beware of any offer to have Mr. McCrea ship you something through the mail unless you have a mail carrier with a twisted and sick sense of humor!

dougd

Attachments

• photo3591.JPG
    photo3591.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3590.JPG
    photo3590.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3592.JPG
    photo3592.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Well, Mr. McCrea, I did in fact get your package. The mail person gave me a very odd and long look and acted like they did not want to handle this particular package. I will admit that this was perhaps the best one yet. For those of you who are wondering about what the heck we are talking about here's some pics of the latest package I received from Maryland. I've been getting these packages off and on for a few years now! Beware of any offer to have Mr. McCrea ship you something through the mail unless you have a mail carrier with a twisted and sick sense of humor!

dougd

I can think of ways that package could have been worse.

Back