• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Report on Adirondack gathering

Looks like a fun time, sorry I missed it. Wind and Little Tupper just seem to go together. Whitecaps last time I was there, but such a lovely place and good fellowship makes up for almost anything.

Thanks Conk for starting this thread, and the rest of you for joining in. Bad weather? What bad weather? It looked all good. And that pot roast looked really good. Great to see such a crowd!

I was camped a half-mile away, wind and darkness forced me to miss much of the evening banter with this group. My propensity for being solo may have drawbacks. I regret missing some of the fellowship of these folks, well, who am I kidding, missing out on the pot roast is my deepest regret. However, I do agree with all of Robin's sentiments on this group... great guys, interesting, funny, outstanding and the real deal! I may have been the only one to meet with "hidden_lo" as he and I were camped on the same island. I can attest that the same adjectives apply.

My paddle out on Sunday may rank amongst the most exhilarating I have had. I left the island in darkness at 5am. Rounding the lee side, one might have questioned the wisdom of a nocturnal departure but I could faintly detect a point of land to the north that I knew to be the south side of Little Tupper's largest bay, besides, I was in a very capable canoe in the SRT. I could maintain course but it required some hard stern pries to prevent broaching on the crest of the swells. Safely across the lake and into the big bay south of site #10 I made landfall on a sandy beach.

Still in darkness, I contemplated hugging the shore around the bay but could see that it would only provide a short stretch of sanctuary from the SW wind, my heading would be NE across the bay. I have greater fear of striking lurking granite than capsizing from wind; a bay crossing seemed the wisest choice. Only moments after shoving off, the first droplets of rain began to fall. I made a quick turnaround back to the beach, to don my Gore-Tex garb. I had to be quick putting it on as the droplets increased in both size and intensity. It became so violent that I pulled the hood of the jacket over my Filson. It may be claustrophobia or possibly a disdain for Bill Belichick but I hate wearing a hood! Squatting on the beach contemplating my next action I perceived that the intensity of the wind had lessened with the onslaught of precipitation. I had both a sponge and Clorox bottle bailer with me so the bay crossing proceeded.

Singing the theme of Gilligan's Island and humming Gordon Lightfoot's biggest hit, I crossed the bay, only twice bailing the bilge, more for practice than of necessity. I took a wide berth of the rocky point near site #6. In the bay, my puckered sphincters had opportunity to relax. Only one more bay crossing and three coves. I turned into the wind before entering the relative calm of the Whitney Headquarters bay. Like the captain in A Perfect Storm, I shook my fist at the sky proclaiming. "Is that the best you've got?" George Clooney may beat out Mark Wahlberg for the role of portraying my life story.

Last edited:
My paddle out on Sunday may rank amongst the most exhilarating I have had. I left the island in darkness at 5am. Rounding the lee side, I might have questioned the wisdom of a nocturnal departure but I could faintly detect a point of land to the north that I knew to be the north side of Little Tupper's largest bay, besides, I was in a very capable canoe in the SRT. I could maintain course but it required some hard stern pries to prevent broaching on the crest of the swells. Safely across the lake and into the big bay south of site #10 I landed on a sandy beach.

Still in darkness, I contemplated hugging the shore around the bay but could see that it would only provide a short stretch of sanctuary from the SW wind, my heading would be NE across the bay. I have greater fear of striking lurking granite than capsizing from wind; a bay crossing seemed the wisest choice. Only moments after shoving off, the first droplets of rain began to fall. I made a quick turnaround back to the beach, to don my Gore-Tex garb. I had to be quick putting it on as the droplets increased in both size and intensity. It became violent enough for me to pull the hood of the jacket over my Filson. It may be claustrophobia or a disdain of Bill Belichick but I hate wearing a hood! Squatting on the beach contemplating my next action I perceived that the intensity of the wind had lessened with the onslaught of precipitation. I had both a sponge and my Clorox bottle bailer with me so the bay crossing proceeded.

Singing the theme of Gilligan's Island and humming Gordon Lightfoot's biggest hit, I crossed the bay, only twice bailing the bilge, more for practice than of necessity. I took a wide berth of the rocky point near site #6. In the bay, my puckered sphincters had opportunity to relax. Only one more bay crossing and three coves, I turned into the wind before entering the relative calm of the Whitney Headquarters bay. Like the captain in A Perfect Storm, I shook my fist at the sky proclaiming. "Is that the best you got?" George Clooney may beat out Mark Wahlberg for the role of playing my life story.

Yeah, I had wondered how you made out on the trip back. The wind never let up at site 12, and in fact grew to about 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. The tarp did not fare well. My boat was mostly packed and ready to go by 9:30...and I proceeded to sit my arse down in my chair and wait it out until 3:00 when things finally calmed down. I think Jules and I had a much more pleasant paddle than you did, but yeah...stern pries were the name of the game at times.

-rs

My wife and I were on our own abbreviated base camp trip far far away, but with much the same weather. I thought of you all more than once and wondered (hoped) if our own bad weather might stall and stay with us, and spare you all the same profane vocabulary I was practising with b*tchin' zeal and regularity. I guess not. Glad you all made the best of it, and with gusto. As always when we depart the skies cleared and winds calmed. So too did my language. It became a pleasant drive out, and I had happy daydreams of gassing up and turning right around to go back in. Just for 1 more night? Maybe 2?? As I filled 'er up at the town pumps I leaned into the open window with soggy boots and smelling of campfires and smoke, and gave my wife that look. (The hopeful canoe tripping one.) She said "Don't even think about it." It just occurred to me we might not have been on the same page? No bother. Pretty sure the answer would've been the same. Later that day we were sipping wine at dinner with family. I raised my glass to trippers out there wherever they might be, and gave Thanks for the trips whatever the weather.

Matzo ball soup and pot roast? I'm feeling undernourished and deprived. You folks are the real deal.

Last edited:
i'm dave's (coldfeet) friend mike. I had a blast meeting everyone and all the fun around the campfire. cant wait to do it again.

No Title

So let's see if I can get some photos up. First time using this photo download feature. I tried to download a good photo of Conk with his sail, but it didn't work. I'll try it in another post.

Attachments

• photo8073.jpg
    photo8073.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo8074.jpg
    photo8074.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo8075.jpg
    photo8075.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo8076.jpg
    photo8076.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8077.jpg
    photo8077.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8078.jpg
    photo8078.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8079.jpg
    photo8079.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo8080.jpg
    photo8080.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8081.jpg
    photo8081.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8082.jpg
    photo8082.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8083.jpg
    photo8083.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 3
  • photo8084.jpg
    photo8084.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 3
I am enjoying the photos as well, especially Conk using his sail and Strider his Pocket Bellows.

I had a nascent plan to put on Little Tupper midweek and grab one of my favorite smaller sites, but could not pass on a different paddler gathering that same weekend. Them folks ain’t right, and I never laugh as long or hard around any other group.

A couple more folding blue barrel tabletops went home with new owners, although John now needs to learn backgammon, and Ed needs to stop wiping the condensation rings off his like it is a Gustav Stickley end table.

Ed also wants a Pocket Bellows; I sent him the link and suggested that he buy two and pay one forward. Thanks to whoever on CT suggested that awesome little helper.

https://www.amazon.com/Epiphany-Outd.../dp/B00LDSW5BA

Edit: Departed friend JSaults made perhaps his final physical appearance on Kinzua Creek. I know he would have appreciated the place and old friends gathered.

I know he would have even more appreciated that the last of his given-to-personal-friends mini-urns was used to pass about moonshine soaked cherries. I did scrub the jar thoroughly. Probably.

Last edited:
I didn't set my camera on a certain setting. Once again I messed up and will ask Robin if he can resize them and post for me. Will send him a few and try myself over the next few days. Soup pic is #1! then a few weather pics, and I have a nice pic of Conk sailing.

What a great initiation to a new phase of my paddling life! Weather shmeather, the stories were worth it. That being said, after a total soaking, I did spend my early day at home shoring up the old tent... just not ready to give up on it yet.

Thanks to Robin for organizing and all your work with this forum. Hope to have a chance to trip with all you fine folks again some time.

the paddle in.jpg

The paddle in on Friday.

Conk and Riverstrider.jpg

Fall day paddle with Paul (Conk) and Chuck (riverstrider)

Rock garden portage.jpg

Rock garden portage.

Bruce and George.jpg

Dinner prep with George and Bruce (bcelect)

Bruce to the right, not sure about on the left.jpg

The sun descends.

Evening view from the tent.jpg

Evening view from the tent.

IMG_3414.jpg

The appearance of calm belies the crazy wind storm.

IMG_3415.jpg

Waiting out the wind, tellin' stories.

LTL Camp.jpg

Ed (forest runes), Mike (MOC2)

LTL Camp 2.jpg

Robin

LTL Camp 1.jpg

Bruce (bcelect), George, Chuck (riverstrider)

IMG_3420.jpg

No one we know, but a beautiful silhouette.

LTL paddle out 1.jpg

The paddle out with riverstrider.

No Title

A great time was had by all. I never have many words but I do have a few pictures.

Attachments

• photo8134.jpg
    photo8134.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8135.jpg
    photo8135.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8136.jpg
    photo8136.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8137.jpg
    photo8137.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8138.jpg
    photo8138.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8141.jpg
    photo8141.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8142.jpg
    photo8142.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Trippers for the great time ! This second annual gathering vies with the first for camaraderie , viands and allegory wrapped up with woodsmoke and water. My favorite mixture ! Great to meet the new attendees & see former cohorts again. Those who missed it, remember 98% of life is showing up. Extraordinary time with Jules , Paul, Chuck ,David, Mike, Bruce, George & last but not least Robin who makes it all possible ! Look forward to crossing paths with you fellow trippers soon.

...woodsmoke, water and rum. Hard to be beat that prose. Good company, stories and poems. Impossible to match that camaraderie.
I can only hope to meet such fine companions again. Some day.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a fun time. Sorry about the wind, but what the heck, we made the best of it. I'm still sorry we missed a couple of members who where on the lake but the weather conditions prevented a meet up.

Back