• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Reflector Oven users, chime in

Reaction score
I have never used one but been tempted a time or two. I only want something foldable.

Today temptation becokoned but it came with a price.

http://shop.campfirecookware.com/

$150 for bread seemed steep. Plus the pan isn't something I always want. It slides into the oven on brackets and seems the brackets will preclude the use of another pan like a small top of one of my pots.

The one below was there too in the Reflector Oven Museum at the Sproule booth They guy selling the Sproule stoves said this one was a devil to put together. My cynic alarm is on high but what say you?

http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/oven1.html

Got a much more palatable price. and a better size for two.

Don't own one, haven't ever used one... But did research it a few years ago, and came to the conclusion that I didn't really need one... If I was going to carry it, I'd have enough carrying capacity for a dutch oven...

There's a design by a guy named Svante Freden that's interesting too. here's a link:

http://www.rutabaga.com/svante-freden-reflector-oven

I have a great deal of respect for the old timey classic camp literature authors (kephart, miller, etc). One of them liked the shallower angles of the Abercrombie and Fitch reflector oven, which looks a little more like the Svante Freden oven... they were more like 30*, vs the 45* angles of your two examples. It sets up quickly too.

Hope that helps some.

Perhaps the way to go would be borrow the use of one and just try it out. You might find that, for you it isn't worth the weight. I've made two reflector ovens, the first was way too heavy because I misjudged how thick the aluminum sheet needed to be. The second is much better but I still haven't taken it camping. I'm finding that my hunger for bread is satisfied with Johnny Cakes done in a fry pan. Of course Bannock too.

As far as that one oven being hard to put together, I wouldn't worry, practice with it at home where there's no stress. There isn't all that much to it to cause problems. If you wanted to get extra spares of the small bits in case of loss it might be a good idea.

I'd loan you mine but we're too far apart to ship without spending the cost of a new oven.

Best Wishes, Rob

YC You'll find the 'Campfire' too small, the oldscout too many parts, I have the freden and it is too flimsy, but ok for a solo.

Here's the on I ended with http://poleandpaddle.com/merchandise/reflector_ovens the large is just right. If you have 12 you might want the Pro guides oven.

It opens from the back which make turning your bakings a lot easier. We've used it the past two years and I'd give it 5 for 5 stars built well and very functional.

Thanks for that link Sweeper, until now I thought there was only one design. Like others, I’ve not been convinced of adding more stuff to my kitchen gear. I’m trying to slim down (me AND my gear), but I could be convinced to make a purchase if I saw pictures of fruit cobblers, brownies and pies.
I know some people eat like gourmet foodies on the trail. Meals are one compromise I make to canoe camp. Maybe I should reconsider that compromise. Food for thought. (Sorry for that!)
Thanks,
Brad

These are some photos of the heavier of the two reflector ovens that I made. I had never had any experience working with sheet metal so I pretty much blew it by getting metal that was too thick for normal camping use. But as we say in the dairy business: "Udder wise it's fine!"

It has it's own canvas bag that measures 14 x 21 inches.

That's an 8 inch cake pan, just to give you an idea of the size. I'm not sure what size pan would be too large.

I don't imagine that any of these ovens cook equally all round, so that flap in the back is useful to rotate the pan to smooth things out.

The back flap remains attached, all the other hinges have had the pivot pin driven out and replaced with coat-hanger wire with a loop bent on the end. No hinge can be found on the side closest to the fire. When you come to pack it up, just place hinge side against hinge side on the separate pieces so the fire side isn't scratched by any hinge.
As you can see, the thickness is just silly and results in an oven that tips the scale at 11 pounds. Still and all though, it's really strong and resistant to damage. To be useful it would need someone who camped in a group, with several someone's with muscles and metabolisms able to use all the baked goods this oven is capable of making.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Very nice work Rob.

I'm tempted to send you a table brake and see what you could come up with.

352-51429.jpg

They can be bought fairly cheaply for bending thin gauge aluminum and steel but knowing you, you'd probably prefer to make your own!

I like that Oldie Moldy! Well thought out. All that's left to do it get it dirty, that should be tasty.

A funny thing happened on my way to the coffee pot today. As I poured a cup I asked my wife to look at the folding reflector oven on my computer screen. She said “Hmm, interesting.”
I said “Could you be interested in eating freshly baked stuff on our canoe trips?” She said “Oh yeah, I’d like to eat nicer meals.”
I asked “Would it be a bit finicky though, learning to bake in front of a fire with a thing like that?” She said “I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it.” I guess that settles it. I’ll need to expand my chief bottle washer role to include baking as well.
That’s a nice looking unit there Rob. Be careful the boss doesn’t press you into service.

Thank goodness I don't have smell-o-vision! I've just been sold on getting one.

I had biscuits for the first time on a family trip to the States this summer. Oh my G. They were good! Please tell me those are biscuits in that photo Sweeper.

Top to Bottom

Corn Bread to go with the chili

Cinnamon roll for the next mornings breakfast

And yes Brad those are biscuits to go with the Beef Stew.

Back