• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Origami Style Folding Reflector Oven

Reaction score
Never been much of a baker on the trail, but thought tinkering with a reflector oven would be a fun project. Just didn't want something too big and I have limited experience working with metal. I think RedOleary posted a great youtube video a while back of his homemade reflector based on the Svante Freden design but made from aluminum flashing. I was planning on going that route until stumbling on another design found on the BushcraftUSA forums. A post by Operater6 (link here - member login required) showed his concept of making a mini reflector oven from a large aluminum tray available at the dollar store. One of those large liner trays to fit the bottom of a conventional electric oven at home. With a few cuts and folds, he ended up with a pretty functional reflector to bake biscuits on the trail. If you're not a member on those forums, here are some shots of his "2 Dollar Reflector Oven" ...

1-Edges%2Bfolded%2Bwith%2Bholes.jpg

Photo Credit: Operator 6 - Bushcraftusa Forums

2-Folded.jpg

4-Foil%2BTray.jpg

7-Ready%2Bto%2Beat.jpg

He very generously provided plans for others to try and replicate his smart little invention...
oven%2Bplan.jpg

Folding Oven Plans

Instead of using the aluminum oven trays however, I ended up using something else that was found a few weeks back on garbage day. Someone in the neighbourhood was throwing away what looked like roll of aluminum. Thought is was some sort of construction material but it turns out it was a camping accessory called the BakGlo Campfire Chair Warmer. Here are some graphics from the company website:
hand_roll.jpg
gb110d1c.jpg

This one was well used and dirty with tree resin and other junk, but a quick cleanup and polish made it good to go. As soon as I saw it, it seemed perfect for this project. Some masking tape was laid out to form the pattern since pencil marks didn't show up well on the shiny surface. Given that there was more material to work with than a dollar store aluminum tray, I deviated from Operator6's original measurements a bit. Top to bottom was 21" long (20" + 1/2" folded edge on each end).

Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B01_rs.jpg

Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B03_rs.jpg

At this point, I folded along the appropriate lines according to the plans (while keeping the tape on temporarily). Essentially, you fold the top half toward you with the triangular wings inward. The bottom wings are folded toward the back to form the "legs" of the oven. Here's a photo when it's partially folded up, but still collapsed to give the idea.
Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B04_rs.jpg

The plans call for two tabs to be inserted into slots on the sides in order to secure the shape. I cut these only after folding up. Good thing because they were off from the original plan given my deviation. The slits aren't visible in the photo but here are the tabs bent and partially inserted:
Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B05_rs.jpg

At this point the whole thing was still a bit wobbily but found that by folding the tails on the bottom piece inward 90 degrees stiffened things up.
Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B09_rs.jpg

A leather punch was then used to poke 2 holes on either side. The original design called for 3 holes with 9" skewers to serve as the baking shelf. For mine, I used a 24" piece of 1/8 steel rod bent into a long U shape and stuck into the holes. Once inserted across the oven it added a lot of rigidity as well. The plan is to use the 6" aluminum lid of my Mini Trangia cookset as the actual baking tray. Don't have that cookset with me in the city, but managed to find another 6" steel pot lid as a substitute for the photo. Here's a shot of the reflector stove all rigged up...
Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B18_rs.jpg

Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B21_rs.jpg

It folds down to a neatly formed into a 10"x10" package. The triangular wings have a tendancy to pop up, so they're placed on the bottom and then the whole slipped into a folded cardboard envelope.
Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B31_rs.jpg

Origami%2BReflector%2BOven%2B38_rs.jpg

The cardboard might be a bit overkill, but it could always be used to start a roaring fire and made again when needed. Hoping reflector oven users will keep posting their tasty recipes on the site.

I still have remnants of one I tried to make years ago. This is something I need to do, as the kids would love pizza this way !

Does it fold flat easily ?

Thanks !

I was just researching reflector ovens last night trying to find a good plan. Years ago we used one that the top opened from the back so things could be adjusted without reaching over the fire. It was commercially made but I have access to a nice metal brake so want to try making one. I like the concept of the one you shared, but too small for my needs.
Anybody have a good design that opens from the back?
Jim

You just saved yourself $85 by making your own oven and not buying the Svante! Nicely done. Probably saves about three pounds of weight, too.. My oven is HEAVY.

Here's a quick recipe for you to try out:
1 chopped jalepeno (fresh or dehydrated)
1 cup Bisquick
Large handful grated old cheddar
1/4 cup milk (from powdered or fresh)

Mix everything. Drop by spoonful into shallow baking dish. I get about four large biscuits out of this. Bake in reflector oven for about 10 minutes or until no longer goopy and sticky inside when you poke them with a stick.
Voila! Jalepeno-cheddar biscuits. Easiest thing to bake ever. I mix everything in a ziplock bag (including powdered milk) and then just add the water to the bag and squish it around until it's mixed.

That is a really cool little oven, thanks for sharing.
I eventually gave up on my flashing model because it was so flimsy, it worked great but I thought it was a matter of time before I lost whatever I was trying to bake due to a collapse (that never did happen) so I bought the real Swedish reflector oven which is considerably more robust and also works wonderfully.

This is the one I built based on Gil Gilpatrick's design with a mod of the foot that also closed the oven up to make it into a case to carry my stove and fuel bottles. It doesn't collapse but it does ride nicely behind the rear seat in a canoe.

The chain it used to keep the oven from bouncing when open, it hooks to the bottom of the foot.

Last edited:
No Title

Murat, you never stop impressing me!! We have the Svante and love it, it is small, maybe bit to small for more that 3 people, but it fit nicely in the wanigan and work ok with our Frybake pan.

Attachments

• photo2476.jpg
    photo2476.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2481.jpg
    photo2481.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
tear_knee: Thanks for the quick recipe. I've always tried biscuits sweetened with raisins or something. Your Jalapeno angle should spice things up nicely.

Sweeper: Your non-foldable oven looks like a great multipurpose item for fuel bottles and cookware. Reminded me of an old timer sketch of using a reflector oven to transport canned goods...

Paul%2BProvencher%2B-%2BPaddle%2BPic%2B003.jpg

Seems like the Svante oven is pretty popular. If I needed something bigger than for solo use, I might jump on and get one eventually.

I love my reflector oven, I baked my way across Quetico in 2012 and really enjoy cooking in it. Sure eats wood though. I did not have the time to make one back then - and purchased it from a guy who makes them locally. If I would have saw the Gilpatrick design posted by Sweeper above I may have attempted that route. Mine is very heavy, everyone likes - no one wants to carry it!

Here It is with Cinnamon buns

Pineapple Upside Down Cake in the summer

and in the winter

One feature I really like is that it has a back door that is attached by a piano hinge all along the back so you can easily access the baking without getting too close to the fire.

Last edited:
I like the idea putting it against the wood stove. I'm going to have to get mine out of the barn and try a couple recipes indoors.

Sweeper one word of advice - make sure that the baking shelf is halfway up the side of your stove - otherwise the top bakes and the bottom doesn't.

also have the Svante , also have the Paul Provencher book...i also like everything about dutch ovens except carrying them :)

Back