• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Small reflector oven thoughts-a little help, please?

Reaction score
Hello All

I'm contemplating making a small collapsible reflector oven based on the geometry in Gil Gilpatrick's book "Building Outdoor Gear" similar to the one shown starting at post #47 here:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ng-discussions/diy/84047-reflector-oven/page4

One challenge I foresee as ovens get smaller is that it definitely begins to limit cookware choices. The small oven shown in the book is only 6-1/4" (156mm) deep and aside from a 6" (150mm) round or square pan there seem to be few options. The mid-size oven shown in the book is 7-3/8" (190mm) deep and opens up a lot more cookware choices. The book shows a width of 16" for the midsize oven which I think is much wider than needed for 1-2 people. At 7-3/8" deep there are a number of toaster oven pans and pan sets that would work well without breaking the bank. Here are a few I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L8BA8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FSKE46C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Q1GT7H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TGGWW4S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2FP3WC79CXYXU&psc=1

The last pan is available in .75" depth, too

I know the links will not last forever so something like this:

MAIN-IMAGE-10-750x750.png

I'm kind of leaning towards a design that's about 10-11" (250-275mm) wide and 7-3/8" deep. In .040 aluminum it would likely be a good bit under 1-1/2 pounds (680g). If one chose one of the toaster oven sets the included cooling rack could actually be used as the shelf rack for the oven and you could take the pan or pans that fit your menu and not take them all.

But, I'd appreciate some input and advice from others with more reflector oven experience than I have. Or who like me are not so experienced with them. So, for those who might use a smaller reflector oven for one or two people; what do you think? Does this seem a reasonable size or would you be looking for something even smaller? Or bigger. And if so, what would be your cookware choices?

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your input.

Lance

I wouldn't go any smaller than the one in the picture, To me it doesn't make sense, for the little bit of weight saving and material cost saving, what you cook will be dictated by the size of the oven, I'd rather have a bigger one and cook small stuff than a small one and be stock to cook small stuff!!
We use a Svente https://www.bensbackwoods.com/reflec...ade-in-sweden/ and it is too small IMO, but nice and compact!
I really like the one you made and I would consider getting one if I could find one!

On canoe trips, I will use my reflector oven every night to make sourdough bread and usually an apple crisp or pie. The pan on the far right of your picture is the one I would use the most in addition to a round 9 or 8 inch tin or aluminum pan. Over the past year I’ve started tp prefer the round pan because it gives me more options for spinning in the oven to control the heat focus on the pan as well as distance to the fire. I’ve also used small bread pans to get a more traditional loaf and they are easier to clean than the muffin pans. I use a Reflecto oven that is about the same size as what you’re planning. I acquired most of my pans from just stopping at thrift stores. These are usually the toaster oven pans donated when someone replaces their toaster oven at home.

canoetrouge, For myself I suspect that I'd rarely use a smaller oven as Nancy and I travel together nearly all the time and the space the larger oven takes up is negligible especially since she made a carry bag for it. It is roughly an inch thick and is about 10x12-1/2" in the bag. And she especially likes the idea of the occasional roast, game hen etc which argues for the taller "original" oven for us.

Aside from just wanting to take a shot at making a smaller oven, a few folks on the forum have mentioned wanting a smaller oven. So I figure I'll see what I can come up with and wanted to see what folks might think. The geometry has already been done so with either oven size the hardest part will be accurately positioning the side panels to cut the slots. North Carolina is entering a 30 day stay at home order at 5 PM tonight so as there will be even less to do away from home I'll have more time to tinker with stuff like this. Cutting the slot accurately and quickly is the biggest challenge so I think I'll make a jig to set a plunge router in that will only let it move the length of the slot cut. I think both ovens can be made with one slot length but if the smaller oven would benefit from a shorter slot I'll just drop a stop block in the jig.

yaricoy, I hadn't thought about a round pan offering more options for fine tuning the pace of cooking but that makes sense. I have a lightweight 6--1/2" pot that has a 1-/34" deep 1 quart lid that would make a good fit for a 7-3/8" deep oven.

I had thought about a small bread pan but was concerned about the bottom scorching before the rest cooked though as the lower part of the oven is usually hotter. Have you had an issue with that or is it a case of just getting some practice at the fire?

Thanks for the input and best regards to all,

Lance

Our reflector oven is 7.25 inches deep by 13.25 inches wide. It's a nice size for Karen and I and doesn't require a very large fire or much space around the fire. You're sure to enjoy campfire baking! It really opens up some nice menu options!

The deeper the pan the more difficult to cook through without overcooking the top and bottom. I prefer thinner breads like focaccia for this reason or I will do a basic sourdough flat bread on the shallow pan. If you are going to do anything with depth, you can block the different heat zones with a scrap of tin foil. I loosely cover the top of a deeper pan bread with the foil to allow the center to bake more. I haven’t had as many problems with the bottom burning but you could do the same to block the bottom heat of just put a piece of wood on the bottom to block the direct heat.

Back