• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

quick wind screen

Reaction score
I was thinking of using some left over 6 inch stove pipe for a stove wind screen ( when not using my twig stove). It easily slips into my pack and wraps over gear. Has anyone else used something like this. I am hoping it is more durable then some of the other smaller packing type of wind screens I have seen.

Bob.

Bob - I've never used old stove pipe but have used roof flashing. It's lightweight, durable and packed nicely into my pot. I punched a few holes along the bottom of it for air to enter and hold it together with a couple of heavy duty paper clips. I don't know if this will work for you but it might be worth a try.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

We used to pack in 5gal. buckets into the BWCA. I used a piece of aluminum roofing flashing for a windscreen, It took almost no room in a bucket.
I would put a single burner Coleman stove on top of a bucket and the windscreen With a fry pan, or pot.
It worked good, but got TOO hot and would melt the bucket, I also worried about it over heating the stove, and turning it into a bomb.
It never did. I think if I had ventilated the windscreen, it might have worked better.

Your stove pipe should work, and maybe be stout enough to protect gear tucked inside of it. I'd maybe drill some holes for ventilation.

Jim

great ideas. I have just improvised-lea side of a log or rock.
turtle

Turtle - I hear where you're coming from. I can't even remember the number of times I've improvised a wind shield using rocks, logs and even my canoes. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say so you'll end up using what you have; or can find!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

No Title

Bob, funny you should ask.

Attachments

• photo1668.jpg
    photo1668.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1669.jpg
    photo1669.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1670.jpg
    photo1670.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Please DO NOT use a full windscreen on a Coleman one burner! I've personally seen two explode and several split or bulge.( that's what happens when you gather a couple of thousand scouts in one camp!) that tank is designed to be warmed by heat coming out the vent holes in the burner bowl- prevent that heat from escaping and the tank will continue to build pressure until it ruptures. Coleman makes a windscreen specifically for their stoves (in Philtrum's picture) that sits on top of the burner bowl and still allows the heat to bleed off from the vent holes.
If you can't find one you can make one from a #10 can; flip the stove upside down on it, trace out the burner shape, making sure to mark out the locations of the generator tube, cut it out approximately 1/4" INSIDE the line, cut notches for the generator, and cut the side to leave about 2" high. When finished, the shield should sit flat on the burner bowl shield and be clear of the burner bowl itself. Don't use it for pots larger than the heat shield though- The burner shield is aluminium on all the newer Colemans and will collapse, causing your pot to dump.

Back