• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Question: Never Boat Alone

Reaction score
Quite a few people on this site, myself among them, spend a good deal of time paddling solo. Some of us paddle alone for weeks at a time, alone in the dark wilds, alone in the wide open, alone in the cold. Some of us--though of course no one on this particular site--go a little loopy. (Chris Bertish has begun his SUP crossing of the Atlantic. He thinks it will take him about four months. Alone. In the ocean. He ain't right.)

I'm preparing to leave for a 20-day solo trip (not even half as long as some of Mr. Gage's solos) and in the pre-discussion phase of this trip--the cocktail party introductions, so to speak--I've found myself in the strange position of defending my decision. Even amongst comrades. Perhaps because I've turned down two fellas who wanted to join the trip, but I suddenly feel like THAT guy, the guy who you'd best leave alone, the guy in the corner with his hat covering his eyes or across the street riding the apex of his house saying giddyup. Of course this may be partly due to the fact that my standard response to the question: "Why do you boat alone?" is typically: "Because I don't like people," but there is another part of me that wants to stand up and say: for my sanity. For the spirit of the older stories. For the chance to finally hear myself think, for god's sake. To stop the madness that becomes social heck. But then I get that look from the woman who manages me and the look says,

"There was an ease of mind that was like being alone in a boat at sea . . . "

which is simply a prologue (Mr. McCrea), to what is possible.

So but yes it's possible I'm off my rocker, and mayhap yours truly ought seriously consider the marbles he once had that lay sun-bleached like bones in the grass. But I know many here paddle off alone and I now find myself wondering why. Why do you paddle alone? And if you don't: why don't you? You have at least a month to respond: take your time.

I like to paddle alone ! It rejuvenates my soul. Especially on my Home Waters. I reflect on my life, and history, and it brings back a smile to my face.

When I paddle the BWCA alone, my senses are hightened, I find my thoughts are loud to me, even unspoken.

In both cases, I find it clears my mind, of my normal Rat Race World.

That'a about as simple as I can tell it !

To give up Soloing, is like turning out the light at the end of the tunnel.

It's Dec. 27th. and I'm about to go on a short solo, 4 miles, downstream from my shop, 34 degrees F. I expect a big smile on my face at the take out !

Jim

Because I can.
Because I like to.
Because you won't bother me when I spend six hours taking a satisfactory picture of whatever.

Also cause I like canoe tripping way more than DH does

Last edited:
Why do I paddle/trip/live solo? I ask myself that question a lot.

For a long time, like you, I said it was because I didn't like people. But that isn't true and I still have to remind myself of that sometimes.

I also say it's because I can never find anyone else to go with me so solo is the only option. That's partially true because when I ask I rarely get any takers. But it's also true that I don't ask very many people and not very often. I'd be willing to day paddle with a fair number of people but I can only think of one of my friends I'd actually want to go on a short trip with. But since I only have 3 friends to start with I guess that's still a pretty high percentage.

I've told people it's because I like to get away from things and just be by myself, to be alone with my thoughts. Well I can pretty much do that whenever I want anyway. I rarely find myself in the company of friends and family outside work. I'm single. I don't have a TV. I don't listen to the radio. I'm nearly always alone with my thoughts (and my dog). But it is true that being alone with yourself for weeks on end is a lot different than spending a few hours alone every evening. On a long solo trip there's nothing to interrupt a train of thought and they usually last 2-3 days before dead-ending and being replaced by the next one.

I think one of the real reasons is to get out there and test myself. Life is pretty easy and sometimes I don't like that. I like the challenge that comes from hard work and being forced to rise to the occasion. But couldn't I make things harder closer to home? Or with other people? I know people who do just that. They have hobbies and friends with whom they do some pretty neat stuff that probably gives them satisfaction similar to what I get by losing myself in the Canadian wilderness. But I can't get into that. I need remoteness. I need solitude.

But the realest reason, I believe, is because I'm uncomfortable around people and fear rejection. If I don't ask people to go paddling with me I don't have to get turned down. If I don't paddle with a group I don't have to worry about what to say, how to act, and deal with conflicts. When I'm with people I don't feel like I fit in and it makes me lonely. When I'm by myself I can get lost in my own little world without being reminded that I'm doing this more out of necessity than choice.

Just before a big trip, whether it be a canoe trip or cross country road trip where I'll travel back roads looking for out of the way hiking opportunities, I'm always filled with a mixture of excitement and sadness. Excitement obviously comes from the impending trip and what it will bring. The sadness is because I wish I didn't want to take this long solo trip. I'm really only comfortable when I'm alone and I wish it weren't so.

But it's hard to tell people something I haven't really figured out for myself. So when people ask I just shrug my shoulders and tell them because I don't like other people. To try and make it be on my terms. That it's the rest of humanity's problem and not mine.

Alan

Last edited:
My plan, my pace, my route choice, my own company, the solitude, to escape from the constantly being available thing of modern day, to escape from other people talking, to hear myself think and finish a sentence or two in my head without being interrupted, a mind enema that flushes out stress, there's no committee to discuss things with if i change my plans and no one to hear me in those times when i am hurting and moaning and swearing my arse off to myself

:( I don't 'cuz I love my wife. She gets distraught when I drive 6-10 hrs alone to trip with someone that I only know from a canoe/camp forum. She's afraid that I'll meet up with some deranged ax murderer:eek:
I think this is a common trait with wives and mothers I get the samething also when I hike. When I hike it has gotten so crowded in the whites I say I am hiking with me and my 900 friends :)

I would like to go alone more often but due to my work, I usually paddle with groups. Working in a college outdoor program allows me to go on lots of wonderful trips but never by myself. Luckily I can get away for solo trips when the students are on break but it rarely means I get away for more than an overnight; more typically it's just for the day (or part of one). While I'd like to think I'd enjoy extended trips alone, I'm not really sure if I would. Hopefully someday I'll get the opportunity to find out for myself; alone. Until then, I'll just have to dream about it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Often times, I can’t find anybody to go with to the place or at the time I want to go. So, the choice becomes go alone, or don’t go. I go. So, in the beginning, boating alone was just a practical choice.

It started with day trips, but progressed to multi-day trips. Along the way, I realized a few things about solo tripping. When solo, I pretty much do what I want to do and when I want to do it. I don’t have to discuss and come to agreement with anybody. If I’m hungry, I eat. If I’m tired, I rest. I don’t have to wait for the group to get their gear in the boat, or, as is often the case, rush because I don’t want to make my group wait for me. I don’t have to adjust my pace to the pace of the group. Solo tripping is luxurious in that it’s all about me.

With the right people, group trips are fun. I like hanging around a campfire and lively conversation. I’ll usually learn something from group members. And in many situations there can be assurance from having a strong team along on a trip. On the other hand, with the wrong people, group trips can be painful. I enjoy both group and solo trips.

I was hiking in the White's in the 60's, alone from the 70's up until the early 2000'izes and gave it up because of the crowds. There were very few trails or routes that weren't packed, even when starting early in the morning. I was told back then not hike solo.

I've been told not to walk in the woods solo and if I did I should carry a gun

And now canoeing.

When I hiked alone I was more aware of where I stepped, my route and there was always the 900 friends out there.

Who has time to find a partner that can go, I have one (sometimes). But if I see a nice window in the 10 day forecast it might be all I need to pack up and go.

Because I can.
Because I like to.

Because even if something does happens out there, being there is better then wishing you were.

As an autistic adult in a mostly autism-hostile world, there are precious few times and places where I can be myself without being chastised for it. "You can be yourself around me" is one of the greatest well-meaning lies most often told around people like me.

"Why won't you look me in the eye?"
"Would you stop that fidgeting thing you're doing with your hands?"
"Why can't you sit still?"
"Why can't you be more normal?"
"What's wrong with you?"

Honestly it's good to get away from people, from having to behave in a socially acceptable way, and just being able to be me for awhile. The funny thing is, all of those "autistic behaviors" that tend to put people off also tend to not bubble up when I'm alone in a boat.

I like people. Sometimes I like to be around people with similar interests. I don't know if I'd ever make a good canoe trip buddy, or if I'd want to have one. For me, it might be a matter of only being good company for myself. When I'm alone, my paddling buddy doesn't care if I'm rocking in my seat, or if I stop for awhile to study the wind blowing through the tree tops, looking for patterns. It's the only time I can be entirely in charge without worrying about making someone uncomfortable, or embarrassing my wife or children. I can go as fast or as slow as I want to go. I can change the itinerary. I can just paddle around in one nice location and try to catch fish all day. And I don't have to answer to anyone for it.

Because I can.

Although this past labor day I did take a 4 man "solo" trip to the bwca. We all took our own gear, food, etc. but we met up at night and camped together. Was able to enjoy both being alone for 9-10 hrs a day and having some company in the evening. Between naps and hiking and fishing we didn't actually spend a lot of time together. I think I would try that again, plus the wife wasn't worried I was all off by myself dying somewhere.

I like both, I day trip with another solo paddler I have been paddling with since we met on the Ottawa River in 1983. Paddling with him is second nature, we have similar goals and a very good understanding of each others "quirks." We just move along gabbing away, it's so easy that paddling with others is an adjustment. Camping my preference is going solo for all the reasons previously stated. The solitude and personal pace makes for a much more rewarding trip. This past fall I "crashed" the Canoe Tripping camp site, something I've never done before (came armed with a Laphroaig peace offering) fortunately I was welcomed and had a very pleasant paddle and encounter with the group the next day. BWCA66's group solo is brilliant.

Because I can.

Although this past labor day I did take a 4 man "solo" trip to the bwca. We all took our own gear, food, etc. but we met up at night and camped together. Was able to enjoy both being alone for 9-10 hrs a day and having some company in the evening. Between naps and hiking and fishing we didn't actually spend a lot of time together. I think I would try that again, plus the wife wasn't worried I was all off by myself dying somewhere.

I did pretty much the same thing, but it was just two of us. There is safety, and fun in numbers.

Last edited:
I also say it's because I can never find anyone else to go with me so solo is the only option. That's partially true because when I ask I rarely get any takers. But it's also true that I don't ask very many people and not very often. I'd be willing to day paddle with a fair number of people but I can only think of one of my friends I'd actually want to go on a short trip with. But since I only have 3 friends to start with I guess that's still a pretty high percentage.

Alan

We'd paddle a lot more if we lived closer ! For sure !

There is some water in Eastern Iowa, we need to hit one of these days !

Besides ! You've got Sadie !

Jim

I spent 28.5 years dealing with people every day. Usually in difficult, dangerous, unhappy, emotional, negative circumstances. It has made me cynical, untrusting and uncomfortable in crowds. I hate going to the mall, sporting events, concerts or other venues where there are lots of people. I hunt, fish, and paddle alone 99% of the time. I find that being alone lets me do my thing on my schedule with no other intrusions. My friends think I am crazy also.

I have been retired a year now and I think I am starting to fit in a little more. I am interested in meeting up with other paddlers and tagging along on a paddle at some point. Looking forward to WPASCR.

Last edited:
I do both. I like my solos. I like going with other people also, partly for the company and partly because it is more hands to share the work. Karin and I have a smooth system worked out for setting up and breaking camp. Until I became a quasi invalid we did portages like champs too.

I also get into situations where I have to go myself or not go at all. I always go, bugger staying behind. We are toying with the paired solo idea too, sounds good.

Groups, pairs, solos...I have no real preference as long as I am out there. I actually think people would be less inclined to trip with me than I am with them. I can be, ummmm, difficult...lol

Christy

I have been retired a year now and I think I am starting to fit in a little more...

I will soon hit the 9 yr mark and for the first 3-4 yrs I felt like I didn't fit in anywhere. I had all this time to paddle and nobody with whom to paddle (Grandma didn't allow me to go alone and her health limits her) My sons and paddling friends all had to work and their weekends were limited. Friends closer to my age either gave it up, moved away or at 80 wasn't physically able to do more than a short day trip. Then I discovered the magic kingdom called the internet... so far I haven't had any bad experiences. Maybe that's because I never got to "canoe with the duckheads"?:rolleyes:

Back