• Happy National Shrimp Day! 🦐🍤

Question: Never Boat Alone

[FONT=&quot] "“All of my life, people have been telling me that you should never travel alone...but it's interesting - I've never been told that by anyone who's ever done it.”" - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bill Mason - "Waterwalker"

That's my simple answer these days.

It's just this though...I've done most of my outdoor activities largely solo, mostly because dang few people will tolerate my agenda. That's just my way of saying, "what Chip said".
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I solo for many of the reasons Alan Gage wrote and this from
autonomy.

I'm not an overly social/ group oriented person. I can easily be as social and involved as anyone but I'm more likely to be on the periphery until engaged.
I like people and love to watch them. I prefer not to be watched or be an overt factor in any setting. It's why I am more inclined to "lurk" here on the forum rather than actively participate.

Not that I won't do a group thing. In fact I have and will likely do so in the future. I've absolutely enjoyed all the group trips I've done and perhaps, those I went with even enjoyed my company. But, truth be told, paddeling or backpacking/ hiking with someone else or a group is a rare thing for me, mainly because they choose not to do the sort of trips I'm inclined towards, or are just unable because of their work/ family commitments.

OR....Maybe, it's me. If I'm going to be completely honest, I'm a quirky guy. I'm somewhat self-conscious when it comes to things tangible (gear) and intangible (skills interests etc.). So I may come across as less enthusiastic or passionate than a certain group is, despite our general common interest. The contradiction here is obvious and not lost on me. I absolutely get the idea (intellectually) that doing something with others is a good way to learn or share ideas, but I'm still often less than comfortable.

While I am married and have three (adult and gone off to their own lives) daughters I still am a rather solitary person. I'm retired military and about to be in, short order, a retired FireFighter. My Fire service schedule is 24hrs on and 72 off, while my wife goes to work 8-5, M-F, like the rest of the world. So I spend a lot of time alone in general. Which I like. My wife oft jokes that I'm the "hermit of Mather Farm," because when I'm off duty, I am content to be here on our mountain and rarely inclined to "go to town." I thoroughly enjoy my solitude here and am content with our (largish) rural property and my house and dogs, projects and hobbies.

Quiet. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, quiet. Considering my past, born and raised in a big city, raised 3 kids, career military and now career fire service; quiet is a commodity I don't trade.

So, alone is sorta what I do.

Then there is the "autonomy" aspect.

The truth is; when I plan a trip, I rarely plan detailed agendas. I typically have a framework of start and finish and maybe an idea of some thing(s) I might want to do/ get to along the way, but those are never written in stone. My priorities often evolve as I go along based on what's impacting the trip as it progresses and what suddenly interests me along the way.

A classic example of the above statement is the last "group trip" I went on. It was a group of myself and 6 others. We did a 3 day backpack trip in the ADK's. The guy who organized it chose a really decent spot but didn't really do a good map recon of the intended location. The results were that we had an extremely steep (bushwack) climb from an old railroad bed. He, the group organizer, had been there before but had approached from the opposite direction a couple years before. But because of parking and the direction most of the group were coming from the decision to take this route was made. I pointed out the topo map's information and nobody seemed to think it was a concern.The retired Army ranger in me knew exactly what was about to become an issue in real time.

The other thing that evolved was that someone in the group, just prior to the trip start asked if anyone would be uncomfortable if he brought a gun. Nice of him to ask. I personally am NOT uncomfortable with them at all and don't mind it. But what evolved was that the conversation became yeah lets all bring a gun and maybe do some target shooting while we are there.

This is where it went south for me. Yes I'm pro gun. Yes I always carry one. Yes I always bring something along on my trips. But guns are not a novelty to me and the fact is, that trip ended up being a couple days of sitting in the bush with periods (hours) of gunfire just beyond camp, rather than the beauty and solitude of where we were and who we were with.

Now no doubt about it the group had a blast (pardon the pun) and honestly, overall, so did I. The location on a very nice pond was gorgeous. Well worth the climb. The food was great, the fireside conversations with newly met people, whiskey and cigars and sounds of loon calls from the pond made for a grand evening. But the group think became something I just couldn't wrap my head around. That and the fact that I was the only "leave no trace" adherent in the group. I ended up packing a bunch of debris out that I did not bring in. And I find uneaten food items tossed into the fire ring egregious behavior. Oh...... and never ever talk politics. It's like shouting obscenities at the least appropriate time. A violation of all things apropos.

Lastly there is the reality that, I like to see others enjoy themselves and in doing so I often find that I didn't really take the time to smell the roses myself.

Now, all that said; each time my wife has joined me on a canoe trip or packing trip I have enjoyed the trip immensely. Genuinely. Perhaps it is because we are truly best of friends and we understand and share each others intentions/ needs. Like Alan Gage said about there being 1 person that he could trip with easily, I could say that of her.

I will always accept an invite to trip with a group if asked and the time is available. But solo trips present themselves more often and I like them A LOT.

Wow, that became a longer post than I intended. Sorry for the wind.......

I spent 28.5 years dealing with people every day. Usually in difficult, dangerous, unhappy, emotional, negative circumstances. It has made me cynical, untrusting and uncomfortable in crowds. I hate going to the mall, sporting events, concerts or other venues where there are lots of people. I hunt, fish, and paddle alone 99% of the time. I find that being alone lets me do my thing on my schedule with no other intrusions. My friends think I am crazy also.

I have been retired a year now and I think I am starting to fit in a little more. I am interested in meeting up with other paddlers and tagging along on a paddle at some point. Looking forward to WPASCR.

This is me as well. It's the short form of what I said in my post.... Good work Nodrama43.

That erratic EMS schedule of 24 hours on and 48 off ,with switching sometimes possible and sometimes not, got me soloing. I had enough trouble with my own schedule never mind coordinating with others.

Often on days I got off at two.. and had time for a quick paddle on a nearby lake. I liked that time alone away from lights siren and the need to move fast.

Over the years I've enjoyed recreational interests like x-country skiing, snow shoeing, rambling, cycling...and have always enjoyed them alone. (Although she is starting to cycle with me, and I'm enjoying that too. We're now making plans to cycle tour together.) Canoe camping is one thing I chose to do first with friends, then with family. I wanted to spend more time away from just myself and more time with them. The few friends around now don't canoe, and that's okay. Our family have moved on to other interests, so it's just my wife and I canoeing. I spend most of my waking hours alone, so it's nice to spend some time with my life partner, my wife, we're spending time tandem tripping. We both gets lots of "me time" as well as "we time" on our trips, just like in life.
I love my alone time, but am cherishing spending time with the few others in my life. Someday I may become a solo tripper, but I still spend most of my days as a loner in the midst of all this humanity. I'm liking it this way.

Last edited:
I do paddle trips alone and with my wife and guy groups. I an much more in tuned with the trip and natural world when alone. memories of the sights, sounds, and smells are much more vivid from solo trips.
Turtle

I spent 28.5 years dealing with people every day. Usually in difficult, dangerous, unhappy, emotional, negative circumstances. It has made me cynical, untrusting and uncomfortable in crowds. I hate going to the mall, sporting events, concerts or other venues where there are lots of people. I hunt, fish, and paddle alone 99% of the time. I find that being alone lets me do my thing on my schedule with no other intrusions.

Ditto, except it was 35 years. Mega ditto about crowds; mall (been 20 years and never again if I can help it), sporting events (other than high school football or wresting it’s also been 20 years, and the last time in stadium was in the Governor’s Box), concerts/movies (at least 10 years and the concerts were All-Access badged). I avoid going into the city, 5 days a week for 35 years was enough, and post retirement try to avoid even the busy suburban retail strips.

As far as tripping I am happiest solo. Even on family trips we each spend a lot of time alone. Best trip with a companion was a few years ago, 22 days downriver travelling with one friend on separate permits; we didn’t see each other for one 9 day stretch and may have camped together three times for a week total.

My favorite “group” trips have been with different folks arriving or departing on different days; typically I go in solo a day or two in advance, other folks meet up a few days later and I stay for few days after everyone else has left. That changing dynamic is usually pleasing.

That said in places where there are shared campsites I often enjoy the company of sharing a site with folks unknown. Sort of; I try not to be the one joining an already occupied shared site, but have always welcomed fellow travelers to join me.

I have met some memorable people that way, from the semi-famous to the most absurd of newbies.

My favorite of the latter were two 19 year olds who had hiked into an Assateague backcountry site. I heard them hike in but, out day paddling and exploring, didn’t actually see much of them. Their campsite was comical; ancient canvas wreck for a tent, gear in duffle bags, (empty) gallon milk jugs for portable water, a couple of surf rods thrown haphazardly in the sand.

I finally met them in camp a couple days in, chatted them up briefly and told them to stop by my site if they wanted a better map. They stopped by that evening while hiking out and I got to hear their story.

College freshmen on a freshman budget, they had figured out that they could camp multiple days on Assateague for a single $5 fee. They did not own backpacks and had hauled all of their gear in using single strap duffel bags, but they were hale and hearty and full of life.

I gave them a map and one of them dang near started drooling when he saw me fetch a beer, so I grabbed a couple more and heard their full story.

One of them had made two trips hiking along the beachfront to haul it all to camp; in, out, back in, a 15 mile hike in sand.

They were out of water. They were, and had been, out of food; the surf rods had proved too fouled to use and their plan to catch fish hadn’t worked out.

I mentioned that the abundant mussels on the bayside banks were easy and tasty, and they were back in 20 minutes with a bucket full to rinse and steam open.

Them boys looked hungry and I had some unused foodstuffs; a can of clam chowder, a can of small potatoes, can of corn. Dumped all of that in a pot over the fire with fresh steamed clams and they cleaned it out. I had some too, it was good.

We had beer with dinner. We had a beer or three around the campfire, and a flask of single barrel may have made an appearance.

Some ways well past midnight they decided, in a rare moment of logic, if not sobriety, that they ought to start hiking out as they had class the next day and I filled one of their empty milk jugs with water for their hike out along the beachfront. I made sure that they knew to turn left when reached the oceanfront on the hike out.

I ended up paddling out a day early when my food and water supplies began to run low, but I wouldn’t have traded an extra day in paradise for that evening spent with a couple of adventurous lads.

Skwid, dang, a 20 day self-supported solo down the Grand Canyon sounds challenging. I can understand why those who do not understand have questions.

Most solo boat GC trips I heard or read about are in groups, often with raft support. They at least have a boat carried forward on the flats, resembling the backs of rowers, gripping their oars as if they were sure of the way to their destination. (touché, and prologue back to Uncle Skwid)

I hope there will come a trip report, which I am itching to read, about the solo challenge and also about the riverfolk met along the way.

I paddle, hike, camp, and hunt alone because I like it. The understandings, affirmations and/or critiques of others are non-essentials when I pack up my gear to go.

Mike McCrea's observation about campsites is similar to mine. If a site is already occupied by a group I will without fail (in my case) keep on going. Even if it means I will camp off trail or leg it / paddle to another place. However, if I'm in camp and others show up I am always happy for them to stay if they choose and rarely disappointed with their presence.

I'm also inclined to go in early if part of a group plan. The sole reason being is so I can get my Zen on before the hullabaloo.

That erratic EMS schedule of 24 hours on and 48 off ,with switching sometimes possible and sometimes not, got me soloing. I had enough trouble with my own schedule never mind coordinating with others....

I had already developed a habit of going alone as a teen. But it was my work so-called "schedule" that really made it my preference. Working weekends and playing in the middle of the week really drove that home, since trips in nearby areas were unpopulated with the normal weekend crowd. The freedom to set, and then to change the agenda at a moment's notice is addicting.

I would like to do more solo trips, but my wife and daughter love paddling and tripping as well so we always go together, I really enjoy being with them on trip, it make life easier and more fun! They are both bush savvy, and not a burden like most people think a wife and a kid on a trip could be....

I'm also inclined to go in early if part of a group plan. The sole reason being is so I can get my Zen on before the hullabaloo.

And stay later, so I can get my post-group Zen on after the hullabaloo. That departed companions time is sometimes the best part.

I am always a bit anxious when awaiting the unknown arrival timing of companions, to the point of horizon gazing for approaching boats, so I can greet them to help carry in and set up. Or at least help carry in and watch them unpack and set up.

But once they have departed and I have a place all to myself again I am ever more loath to leave, awaiting or expecting no one.

It helps that my preferred companions are of the generous nature, so if they are departing with excess food, water or libations they can lighten their load on me. That extra day or two has turned into longer, well replenished stays more than once, courtesy of friend’s excess.

Sometimes those replenishers are not even companions. An old and oft told story:

I had solo paddled up into the Grand Canyon from Pearce Ferry in 1988 when Lake Mead was full, and the lower canyon as backwatered for miles and miles upstream. A rafting party, surprised to see me well upcanyon, asked “How long are you staying?”

Riffing off something I was reading at the time I replied “In a place like this it seems unreasonable to think of time in anything less than a season. So I’ll probably stay until my food runs out”. (Service to Skwid, awaiting the return).

The rafters reprovisioned me with all manner of excess food including, most memorably, a bag of badly wilted carrots.

I thought I had that excess foodstuff consumption linger well timed, until an unfortunate dunk bag episode where several of my remaining beers made a downriver escape. I had said I was staying ‘til my food ran out. I felt I needed to be good to my word.

The last thing eaten, the bag of wilted carrots, was not all that tasty, but maybe helped my night vision. I paddled out at night (all night), current finally going my way, under a full moon, and was at a diner near Vegas by morning.

Wilty carrots produce a slight gag reflex to this day, but the night paddle out was the best part of that Grand Canyon trip.

If Lake Mead ever refills I highly recommend that trip, from Pearce Ferry up into the lower canyon.

I would like to do more solo trips, but my wife and daughter love paddling and tripping as well so we always go together, I really enjoy being with them on trip, it make life easier and more fun! They are both bush savvy, and not a burden like most people think a wife and a kid on a trip could be....

And you're a lucky man. My wife doesn't like the tripping so I'm going to try a short basecamp trip with her this year.

OK, here we go... as an aging old geezer I am becoming more convinced that probably we all see different worlds out there. On canoe trips, some will be affected by a cosmic deep blue sky more than anything else, while for others, it's how pleasant it is to be bobbing around on the waves.

There's even a term for how things seem to us as individuals, alone inside our minds...

qua·li·a

noun PHILOSOPHY

the internal and subjective component of sense perceptions, arising from stimulation of the senses by phenomena.

How can anybody be sure that they see red the same way as the next individual, is the classic example... some seem to sense it's a powerful color, others not. Or chocolate, some say there's nothing better, and others do not.

I know that my experience of pain is probably different from others, I seem to feel less of it, which might explain why canoe trips have been so crummy to some judgmental types. After a hip replacement, I didn't need morphine or oxycodone to deal with the damage after the sawing and drilling, which seemed unusual to the nurses and doctor. Others had a worse experience than I did... there might be something inside my mind that blocks out pain. Subjective experience of pain is another thing that can be difficult to communicate to others... how do they experience it, exactly, compared to someone else?

I am becoming more sure with time that others see different worlds out there, in natural areas and wilderness. I'd rather stay in that reality or delusion, whatever it actually is and be alone with it for a while rather than having someone interrupt it. Bursting the bubble, or destroying the connection with reality, whatever it is.

Submerging now.... flood ballast tanks and rig for silent running...

;)

Color me peanut butter & jealous.

I have to say I am a very lucky man!! She's an Outdoor Ed teacher, a ww paddling instructor, a great xc skier and telamark skier... Nothing can really put her off a trip, not bad weather, not temperature either!

I have to say that she's not a big fan of bushwalking, and portaging!! She kept paddling ww until she was 8 months pregnant, and our daughter was in the canoe the following may for her first paddle at 6-7 months old! did her first 10 day river trip she was 9 months old! She's 9 now and a great class 2-3 bow paddler, quite a decent xc skier and ok down hill skier and a great little mountain biker! Life is good I'm a lucky man!!

I have to say I am a very lucky man!! She's an Outdoor Ed teacher, a ww paddling instructor, a great xc skier and telamark skier... Nothing can really put her off a trip, not bad weather, not temperature either!

I have to say that she's not a big fan of bushwalking, and portaging!! She kept paddling ww until she was 8 months pregnant, and our daughter was in the canoe the following may for her first paddle at 6-7 months old! did her first 10 day river trip she was 9 months old! She's 9 now and a great class 2-3 bow paddler, quite a decent xc skier and ok down hill skier and a great little mountain biker! Life is good I'm a lucky man!!

Indeed. I had the talk with the family today...

"You know, I'm saving up to get myself a really nice solo canoe. But I don't have to do that. If you want to go canoeing with me, I can get two pretty decent big family canoes for the same money. And I can use one of them for my solo trips. Or I can get a bunch of little solo boats so everyone can do their own thing. If anyone wants in on this, tell me now."

*crickets*

They really, truly don't want to paddle with me. They do all have their own interests. And I'd still want to go on solo outings. But I'd love so much to see my family get in on this with me.

Treasure what you have there. You are indeed a lucky man!

Indeed. I had the talk with the family today...

"You know, I'm saving up to get myself a really nice solo canoe. But I don't have to do that. If you want to go canoeing with me, I can get two pretty decent big family canoes for the same money. And I can use one of them for my solo trips. Or I can get a bunch of little solo boats so everyone can do their own thing. If anyone wants in on this, tell me now."

*crickets*

They really, truly don't want to paddle with me. They do all have their own interests. And I'd still want to go on solo outings. But I'd love so much to see my family get in on this with me.

Treasure what you have there. You are indeed a lucky man!

But I'm sure life is great for you even if you have to go solo!! I hope it is!!

Up here it more often then not that you would find couple or family traveling together. All our friends do. It doesn't seems to be the case in the south!

Up here it more often then not that you would find couple or family traveling together. All our friends do. It doesn't seems to be the case in the south!
I think its a cultural thing.. I can be wrong! on the Yukon I saw families.. Only Germans were soloing.. In the lower 48 the almighty corporate vacation looms and when you have two in the job market its tough to coordinate

In the lower 48 the almighty corporate vacation looms and when you have two in the job market its tough to coordinate

I think families taking vacation time together is the norm but, particularly in the lower 48, canoe tripping isn't at the top of most families' lists

Alan

Back