• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Question: Never Boat Alone

Also the nuclear family once the kids hit teen age years is kind of split by crazy schedules. We are losing family time.. The average paddler does not go out for an extended trip with family.
And once the kids are grown.. families are often far apart in distance.

I think in Whitehorse population of the most of the territory is centered there? Or do people go off for extended work elsewhere? Interesting question.

I can't wait to go back to eat at Sanchez Cantina

I took a similar path to soloing as many of you, for the same practical and life-circumstance reasons as already stated. I continue doing it for the subjective benefits.

As I get older, there is seemingly more risk incurred, but it is worth it. To anyone who has not spent at least a few days out there alone with little to no human interactions, I would say you really don’t know what you are missing. You will likely find peace and calm, and face some inner demons and irrational fears as well. Self-sufficiency, introspection, awareness of one’s surrounding and natural world, there is a lot to experience in a heightened way.

One late-season sunset evening on a rock slope to the water on an island, after a few days alone, it was dead calm. I sat there for several hours, motionless. My mind was actually still. I could hear the faintest mountain stream way off in the distance, every now and then. Two loons took off far away, and then flew by just overhead in the gathering darkness. A beaver came by. A frog popped out of the water and landed at my feet. The moon came up and stars rotated across the sky. Trunks and branches squeaked and cracked, water lapped, insects clicked and buzzed and chirped, birds cooed in roosts. It was unremarkable, and so remarkable. So much and so little happened, that could not have happened with companions about.

When I need to calm down, I often choose to go back there. I had a half-hour medical procedure without the aid of any drugs to speak of, and it should have been somewhat uncomfortable. At the end, one of the technicians asked me where I went. I knew what she meant, and replied simply that I had been on an island.

The human world is awash in noise that drowns out the life that surrounds us. We love nothing more than the sound of our self-importance, the cleverness of our inventions, the safety of our walls and warmth. It becomes all too easy to forget the living world that supports our every breath and step.
I paddle alone to escape the noise, the voices, the cleverness. I paddle alone to remind myself of the living world of which I am just a tiny little spark. I paddle alone to hear the waves, the wind, the birds and other creatures, the song and symphony of life.
This music, this dance, this fire animates all life, yet we have created a human environment in which we listen only to ourselves, and pretend that we are the center of the universe. I paddle alone to reawaken the song and fire in my heart.
Or maybe I'm just a crabby old man who has always been happier when alone.
Whatever;
Solitude is my most precious commodity.

I go alone for the flexibility. My wife is fine with my canoe trips as long as I'm around home for what she considers important family events. I prefer to have both, family events and canoe trips, so I just plan on an Spring/Fall/August trip and go when it's convenient. Going solo makes it a whole lot easier.
I do like the solitude also.

I'm preparing to leave for a 20-day solo trip

"There was an ease of mind that was like being alone in a boat at sea . . . "

which is simply a prologue (Mr. McCrea), to what is possible.

You have at least a month to respond: take your time.

Uncle Skwid is, I believe, is today somewhere down in the Grand Canyon, perhaps sharing a side canyon site with the Swedish Bikini Model’s 2017 Raft trip. Provided that did not involve that him standing up in the boat leaning and looking before him, and that he did not pass like someone voyaging out of and beyond the familiar.

Anyone want to play in prologues to what is possible?

I continue to wonder if Skwid has traveled on alone, like a man lured by a syllable without any meaning, removed from any shore, from any man or woman, and needing none.

Or has he fallen in with some rafter party of ill repute, and added them to the whole vocabulary of the South.

Still prologue to a trip report of what is possible.

I've been wondering how he's doing as well, but not in such high-falutin terms.

Alan

He must be nearing the end now. How long did he say he was planning to be out? Around 25 days?

My favorite part about long trips is realizing that even though the trip is 1/2 or 3/4 done that there is still a lot of time left; more time than most people are able to take for their entire trip.

Can't wait to hear how it went. As much as I'd like to I know I wouldn't have the skill (or balls) to run the Grand Canyon solo.

Alan

Cool new app.

I have emerged successfully, if a little humbled, from Grand Canyon. I'm on a phone so cannot say much. (It will probably still be too much. Forgive me, as always.)

Suffice to say that, like Columbus, I imagined the canyon far too small, which, in the end, enabled me to launch. The enormously powerful weight of the GC came to fruition after passing the Little Co., mile 61, when I had to pause for a few days above Unkar and wander the Esplanade to muster up the psychological umph to start in on the Big Eight. The river turned menacing and deep brown. And an open canoe is tiny in that place, where the river and dark cliffs make their constant presence known, constantly. Day and night. Pounding and threatening and mocking your cocky idiocy.

It was terrifying. Breathtakingly enormous. (Some of the waves in there were well taller than my 14 foot boat.) Magnificent. Inspiring. Colossal. Archetypal. Prehistoric. Beyond any of my meager foreshadowings. Like the heaving ocean beside the woman walking the beach, singing. Scary as crap. Ghostly. Ethereal. Haunting. Mythical. And deeply, deeply thrilling.

It doesn't get done much solo in an open canoe. More and more in kayaks and rafts. Doug Green did it in 2012. (He wisely walked Hance.) He's the only guy I've found that soloed it open boat style. But it goes! It goes! I studied some big drops for hours but ran everything. Swam once. (Hance, of course, for Douglas.)

I saw no other rabble rousing river runners until mile 240: Separation Canyon, two days from the end. And I was ready for tgem. They were as excited about my trip as I was and got me drunk and built me a big fire and fed me well. Kudos to the Oregon Crew!

When I arrived at Pearce Ferry I found myself weeping. The Oregon crew was waiting for me with hugs and champagne. It was deeply emotional, and I am overwhelmingly filled with gratitude to have been given the opportunity. I am insignificant and deserve nothing. And yet there I was, standing on the shoulders of Giants. In the land of Giants. I'm not sure I am the same man who launched from Lee's Ferry.

I miss it already and hope this will be the first trip of many into the Canyon. Many.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That sounds like quite the thrill, hard to imagine what you really had to deal with. I have never seen it in real time, but I get it from your post that there's a big difference.
Thanks for the update...

Thanks for using Tapatalk too, (cheap plug:rolleyes:)

Powerful words Uncle, and befitting of such a place. Although I'ver never been, I'd like to think those canyon cathedral walls worn down over millennia by the simplest of all processes might too wear down my own lofty human egocentricity. Nature has a way of putting us in our place. Safe ride home.

. I have emerged successfully, if a little humbled, from Grand Canyon.

It was terrifying. Breathtakingly enormous. (Some of the waves in there were well taller than my 14 foot boat.) Magnificent. Inspiring. Colossal. Archetypal. Prehistoric. Beyond any of my meager foreshadowings. Like the heaving ocean beside the woman walking the beach, singing. Scary as crap. Ghostly. Ethereal. Haunting. Mythical. And deeply, deeply thrilling.

It doesn't get done much solo in an open canoe. More and more in kayaks and rafts. Doug Green did it in 2012. (He wisely walked Hance.) He's the only guy I've found that soloed it open boat style. But it goes! It goes! I studied some big drops for hours but ran everything. Swam once. (Hance, of course, for Douglas.)

Skwid, welcome out.

Now that you have survived your far-foreign departure from your vessel, without shattering the boat and leaving the oarsman quiet, I will admit some concerns.

Solo. Canoe. Self-supported. Grand Canyon. In winter.

dang!

Safe journeys home. Eagerly awaiting a trip report of the tempest and photos too.

Solo. Canoe. Self-supported. Grand Canyon. In winter.

Late to this thread, but as former avid whitewater paddler, I have strong opinions on this -- depending on whether one is talking about heavy hydraulic or highly technical whitewater, on the one hand, or relatively flat and low friction waters, on the other.

Many solo open canoeists have paddled the Grand Canyon. Jim Shelander was the first, in a Mad River Explorer, in 1979 or 1980. However, paddling it alone, especially in a short whitewater canoe laden with gear, is foolish. If you lose your boat in a dump, you're screwed. If you're relying on other groups to rescue your boat or yourself, that's selfish. Of course, it can be done and maybe Skwid just did. (It's unclear to me whether he had a support arrangement.)

Paddling alone on flatwater or easy rivers is common, for the reasons so many already have so eloquently articulated above. It's often warned that you shouldn't boat alone, but as Bill Mason said, rarely by people who have actually done it.

Back