• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Question: Never Boat Alone

There are certainly risks that must be mitigated and a calculus that must be run before determining whether ANY undertaking is within your range of possibility, but I suspect the word "foolish" might be a little strong. Paddling GC solo cannot be categorically judged foolish. I never felt like I was being foolish. The possibility of epic failure (loss of boat is certainly a risk that must be mitigated in GC, as is serious injury while hiking or falling) does not make an expedition foolish, but rather the accurate and honest assessment of preparedness and personal psychic wherewithal of the individual attempting the expedition. Those elements ought probably be considered in tandem. Paddling flatwater alone will be a comically foolish choice for some.

Mine was a completely self supported, thoroughly researched and studied personal endeavor. I paddled a 14' Vertige X with all Park Service regulatory equipment and gear and food for 20 days. I paddled the Vertige X exclusively for two years to prepare for the trip. I talked with many canoeists who had paddled thru GC. I paddled, and continue to paddle, many rivers alone. (Only Doug Green had paddled it solo, though statistically, the solo permits in any kind of boat are almost non-existent prior to the mid-nineties when soloing (self-support) GC began to grow in popularity, mostly in kayaks and rafts. I am sure many soloists have come before and left no easily recoverable record. But even the Ranger who checked me in, young though she was, Mr. McGrady, haha, told me I was an anomoly.) I saw two groups of hikers and two groups of rafters. I saw no rafters at all until mile 240, and both groups were camped at Seperation. One group paddled out for a night float. I was alone for the entire trip, save one night at Seperation. For all intents and purposes, I had the GC to myself. And it was magical and intoxicating and, I don't want to use the word incorrectly, but I will dare sat spiritual. (Yikes! I am not a religious person.)

I pushed my personal limits and it was certainly at times terrifying. I swam one rapid, lost a helmet and GoPro, and cut the crap out my ring finger. Otherwise the trip went extremely smoothly. I would do it again in a second. And will. Winter is a special time down there.

It's that first time down any river that really sets the tone, that defines the state of affairs and determines the nature of the relationship. That is a special time when all the hearsay and hoopla and general gossip fade into the background and you see the thing for what it is. Formosa. And for that moment, the island, the river, the canyon, belongs to you. I cherish that first run, even if, in the end, it is really I who belong to her.

Peace from the Texas highway...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I congratulate you on your paddling achievement and consequent euphoria, Skwid, but I'll not retract the word "foolish". I'd expand it to "extremely foolish" for the benefit of future readers of this thread.

I've paddled open canoe with the top paddlers around my generation -- Nolan Whitesell, Harold Deal, Bob Foote, John Kazimierczyk -- all of whom have paddled the Grand Canyon and harder rivers, but who I doubt would advise doing it alone. The very fact that you cite, if true, that only two open canoeists have ever paddled the Grand Canyon alone, is empirical proof that legions of competent class 4+ open canoeists, over the past 40 years, have not considered it a wise thing to do.

I also consider paddling over 50 foot waterfalls to be extremely foolish. But it takes little skill to paddle over a lip and a few paddlers do it. Some get injured, some don't.

Just curious, how did you "mitigate" the risk of losing your boat in a swim? (I can think of some ways.) And what was your "calculus" for a rescue if you did lose your boat?

I'd be interested in the :"calculus" formula too.. though I think it is similar to the decision trees we all do on solo trips..
Re,. what sorts of factors and I am wondering if any are unique to the Canyon.

What is not foolish for you might certainly be foolish for others.

I have emerged successfully, if a little humbled, from Grand Canyon. I'm on a phone so cannot say much. (It will probably still be too much. Forgive me, as always.)

Suffice to say that, like Columbus, I imagined the canyon far too small, which, in the end, enabled me to launch. The enormously powerful weight of the GC came to fruition after passing the Little Co., mile 61, when I had to pause for a few days above Unkar and wander the Esplanade to muster up the psychological umph to start in on the Big Eight. The river turned menacing and deep brown. And an open canoe is tiny in that place, where the river and dark cliffs make their constant presence known, constantly. Day and night. Pounding and threatening and mocking your cocky idiocy.

It was terrifying. Breathtakingly enormous. (Some of the waves in there were well taller than my 14 foot boat.) Magnificent. Inspiring. Colossal. Archetypal. Prehistoric. Beyond any of my meager foreshadowings. Like the heaving ocean beside the woman walking the beach, singing. Scary as crap. Ghostly. Ethereal. Haunting. Mythical. And deeply, deeply thrilling.

It doesn't get done much solo in an open canoe. More and more in kayaks and rafts. Doug Green did it in 2012. (He wisely walked Hance.) He's the only guy I've found that soloed it open boat style. But it goes! It goes! I studied some big drops for hours but ran everything. Swam once. (Hance, of course, for Douglas.)

I saw no other rabble rousing river runners until mile 240: Separation Canyon, two days from the end. And I was ready for them. They were as excited about my trip as I was and got me drunk and built me a big fire and fed me well. Kudos to the Oregon Crew!

When I arrived at Pearce Ferry I found myself weeping. The Oregon crew was waiting for me with hugs and champagne. It was deeply emotional, and I am overwhelmingly filled with gratitude to have been given the opportunity. I am insignificant and deserve nothing. And yet there I was, standing on the shoulders of Giants. In the land of Giants. I'm not sure I am the same man who launched from Lee's Ferry.

I miss it already and hope this will be the first trip of many into the Canyon. Many.

I read this a few times after you posted it last night and was so excited I had trouble getting to sleep. I hope we get to hear a more detailed report of your trip but I'd be happy with just this. I don't know how some people can convey so much with so little.

Alan

My imagination is not so vivid, bring on the pictures and video! Glad you had a grand trip Skwid!

This thread is like the couch in the doctors office. :(

I started solo because I had nobody who would go when I wanted to go. I solo now because I am getting too stubborn and like doing things the way I do them. And because there is nobody around to go when I want to go. It sure would be nice to have some help gathering firewood, preparing dinner or paddling into that strong headwind.

Being alone, truly alone, for extended periods is not something many have done. It can be an emotional trip with ups and downs at the very top and bottom of the emotional scale. Paddling solo through a park and running into other paddlers once a day or every other day is not the same as not seeing another soul for 7 days straight. Or 30 days.

I've recently started watching the series Alone from History Channel. It is surprisingly good IMHO. But as I watch it with my wife and she looks at the way the contestants react and act and the tears and whatnot, I can relate, she is puzzled by it. If you've ever done long solo excursions I'm sure you've had those moments and I suggest you give the show a watch. As one contestant said, he experience the greatest feeling being in such a incredibly beautiful place and then the ultimate low being completely alone, missing his family at home.

For me, long solo trips are not like that first one. I am mentally prepared now for the solitude, enjoy it and relish the self intimacy it can offer, and actually desire for those moments again. "If you are going to spend that much time alone with yourself, you better like who you are"- Alan Kay, winner of Alone season 1

I'd expand it to "extremely foolish" for the benefit of future readers of this thread.

Perhaps Skwid can expand on this later, but I believe that the Nat’l Park Service requires people seeking permits for trips outside the norm to submit proof their experience, preparedness and bona fides.

I am basing that on friends who did a multi-week self-supported backpacking trip in the canyon that involved piecing together an arduous series of rarely done routes between known trails; there was some back-and-forth with the NPS to prove themselves before a permit was issued.

If that is likewise true for obtaining a permit for something like a self-supported solo canoe trip fools need not apply.

The Grand Canyon is about as heavily regulated and permitted a place as can be paddled in the US. The checklist of required gear alone would be daunting for many paddlers.

https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/NPS_Required_Gear_List

Thank you all for the well wishes and interest in the trip. It certainly was a grand adventure and one I hope to somehow articulate--to the degree that I can--in a string of sentences. As this is really the only online site to which I post anything (canoeing to me involves so much more than whitewater, I am deeply appreciative of the sensibilities of this group and the way this site is run ad free), I am certain you will probably be plagued with a few infinitely long ramblings. My first attempts, which were, admittedly, late at night while my father shook the walls with his snoring in various hotel rooms across the country, is sort of coming out in the second person singular. We might have sort of a Bright Lights, Big City version of a snapshot canoe trip through the canyon. We shall see how it all pans out.

Mr.(?) Muskrat: Unfortunately I'm not much of a videographer or photographer and in the end, after three failed attempts, the Colorado succeeded in claiming both my helmet and GoPro (they were one unit the entire trip). To be honest I often felt silly turning on the little GoPro device in the midst of all that grandeur. Those wide angle videos come out so flat. And I often had to remind myself to pull out the instant camera and snap a photo. Had I a nice camera, I probably wouldn't take it down below the rim. The Grand Canyon is incredibly hard on electronics. The sand is like flour and blows everywhere. Regardless, I was sort of lost in a kind of shock and awe (to borrow a phrase from America’s military history). Nonetheless I did manage to escape with two videos for your viewing pleasure (one of them a rather anti-climactic Lava Falls run, and the other one a no-name, beautiful, six minute, miles long rapid the likes of which were so common throughout the entire canyon), and I will post the missing gear on Mountainbuzz and perhaps some kind soul will recover them, if indeed they are recoverable. I believe I may have left them sitting below Killer Fangs (aka Mile 232 Rapid), when I scrambled up the bank below the rapid to investigate the dreaded fangs. (Yes, I often prefer to scout large rapids after I run them, especially when the rapid seems exceptionally tame and I am in the z o n e. I come away with the distinct impression that I’ve missed something important.)

View attachment z5rUpraCGTlRLSVEqHKZLk4fjvhJAOo-XZhKwhKzOoarNpIKtA0VcpTEqHTiCq5fT-BrclZagPcvq9SrUbmuyS1quu5vLwU2Zq9g

Mr. McGrady: I will of course bow to your wisdom (if not your elevated age) and allow you the pleasure of “extremely foolish.” Not, mind you, because legions of great boaters have left such a venture alone (we would all be drawing in caves eating raw Wooly Mammoth had we stayed in uniform), or because Bob Foote and his awesome ponytail couldn’t shake his entourage of admiring students long enough to venture down the canyon solo (being a bald guy I have intense hair envy whenever I watch Bob Foote perform his amazing feats), but because you have shaken the hand of Nolan Whitesell, which to me is like unto shaking the hand of Fred Astaire. My mentor as well paddled with Mr. Whitesell (he was also recently (2016) on the San Juan with Mr. Deal), which gave me, once upon a time, the opportunity to join Mr. Whitesell on the Gauley in West VA. I particularly appreciated his sort of weird mustachio-hidden smile, which gives one the immediate sense that he is probably contemplating doing something exceedingly foolish.

Of my completion of a self-supported, solo Grand Canyon run, my mentor (who is now 78 and riding around the country on one of those Spider vehicles due to problems with all of his joints) said this: "I'm proud of you, buddy, and a wee bit envious. The BIG problem with your having done a solo trip is the lack of witnesses; we may never hear the TRUE story." He may be right.

Mr. McCreary is also correct in his assertion that the canoe fool need not apply. The requirement checklist is indeed daunting. Upon receiving my application (and paddling resume) I received a call from Grand Canyon Park Service. They wanted to ask me some questions and speak to me personally before issuing my preliminary permit. I assume they can ferret out the dumb arse pretty quickly. Of course, once the permit is issued, it must also be signed by the ranger at the put-in. An unsigned permit is invalid. This requires an inspection of all pertinent gear and even an inspection of the boat, which must be in "good working order." The ranger who checked me in was concerned about the Gorilla Tape on the stern of my boat. (I was required to perform some last minute G-flex / fiberglass / Gorilla Tape / heat gun patching of an exterior tear in the vinyl due to an unfortunately careless thief.) I assured her that being paddled by a badass boater, said boat had quite naturally taken some dings…? She almost, but not quite, smiled. And then moved her attention to my firepan.

View attachment 2YX68aXnT1DQMewmGCd-c2xF_8Dm5YWKdqy_bntmfcF79bdfCrqtn9dwK_RGRm5phbStImcprwRZm6r_QOmJ5ZmsTGfJySvzFZtO

Mr. McCreary: I am in awe that you were able to paddle upstream to Spencer Beach, mile 246, from Pearce Ferry, mile 280.5. I had 5 MPH current all the way. (The Hualapai now have a composting toilet at Spencer, apparently due to the high fecal content in the area. I don’t really know what this means, except that maybe people paddling upstream are not required to pack out their crap, so they are (were) instead using cat holes? Whatever the case, it was nice to sit on a toilet seat at Spencer Beach, even if the rain was dripping through the skylight onto my head and the mice were scurrying about my feet. I never did find Buzz Holmstrom’s inscription below the now buried Lava Cliff Rapid, though I looked and looked. You didn’t happen upon it, did you? B. Holmstrom is a personal hero of mine and I was so looking forward to finding that. I wasn’t even sure which side of the river it was on.) I’m assuming the lake was significantly higher when you accomplished said feat, but still. Wow. Impressive. (And nice write up.)

View attachment 5ntQddflwl8Y9Hvp3GJtRsqMAGg8J5yuLmdauWEGNkDVHKNSg5pXDtlVMy_XIxW0HMDfyiC3SUJpWRGzpiLuPgg72nYYu4k_fM7o

As to the higher-than-average flow, it made almost no difference at all to me. Some rapids apparently get harder at higher flows; some get harder at lower flows. As this was my first trip through any of the Grand Canyon rapids, I didn't know which was which. I've run the New River Gorge in WV at 12' on the bridge and I've never seen anything like the Colorado through Grand Canyon. It was huge everyday all day. Not necessarily HARD, but HUGE. Due to the fact that the timing of the cycle is constantly changing as you move further downstream, I gave up trying to figure out whether water was going or coming. I always pulled my canoe way, waaayy up regardless of the direction the water because of an irrational paranoia that the Colorado would simply rise up from her banks, walk up the beach, untie my boat, and take it away. Oddly enough, this paranoia kept me from hiking too far away from the river as well: I would start to get itchy and concerned about my boat. Irrationally, of course, because it was ALWAYS tied with an impenetrable tangle of knots a half mile away from the Colorado, except that my boat was, for all intents and purpose, the only sane way out of the canyon. I wanted it always within sight.

Ms. Yellowcanoe: Being a land surveyor here in Virginia, I naturally suck at math. So the calculus I use involves a gigantic computer that I usually lug around in the stern of my boat. I pull out said computer whenever I need to plug in whatever factors I need to plug in in order to determine the wisdom of running some rapid, some river, some windy lake, or even marrying some girl, dating some wealthy old lady, investing in some Ponzi scheme, etc. If my computer isn't working due to, say, SAND or water, I then resort to other methods. So, for instance, at Granite Rapid, which to me was the most terrifying of all Grand Canyon scouts as the scout is on river left and the line is across the river on the right, I couldn't locate an outlet to plug in my TRS-80 Model III computer. So I studied the line, which appears (from 100 yards away) to be about 10 feet wide with a granite cliff to the right and two gigantic exploding type holes (Grand Canyon gigantic) on the left and, of course, a Grand Canyon size wave train that involves breaking lateral waves bouncing off the cliff. It doesn't look possible to stay on the wave train, which means you'll either fall over into one of those holes or crash into the wall. And the stone wall seemed a slight part of death. I studied other lines through the boulders and holes closer to the left. Unfortunately those lines involved moving around in the rapid, which is not something you want to do much of in the Grand Canyon. You'll fail, miss your line, plow into whatever feature you're trying to avoid. Trust me. The water is moving way faster than you think, and however much time you THINK you have, you don't. I considered walking. I considered calling the park service for a helicopter shuttle. I considered calling my mother, who was visiting my wife and daughter and apparently watching YouTube videos of every rapid in the Grand Canyon and scaring herself silly. It simply didn't look possible to run the rapid in a fully loaded open canoe. A crash seemed probable, and, as I had already had a long swim at HANCE (which turned out to be the most terrifying of all Grand Canyon rapids because it required a MOVE in the midst of the rapid), I was trying like heck not to crash. It rained. I peered through my binoculars. And in the end I had to resort to the beer can calculus. This involves taking all the beer cans swirling around in the bottom of my boat and tossing them into the river at various entry points for the rapid. I then see which beer can makes it out the bottom of the rapid and run that line. If I lose sight of the cans in the rapid, I usually take whatever trash I've accumulated during the trip, light that bag on fire, and toss it into the river. In this way I can simply follow the flaming bag of trash (or poo, as the case might be) down through the rapid. If I haven't yet accumulated the appropriate number of beer cans for the selection of lines, I sit on the banks of the river and guzzle beer until I either have the appropriate number of cans or I pass out. Sometimes, after several hours of sleeping, I wake to find that it’s all been a bad dream.

When I finally ran the right side line at Granite, no more than five feet off that stone wall, it was by FAR the most thrilling rapid of the trip. Probably the most thrilling rapid I've yet run in an open canoe. Not simply because of the speed of the current or the crash of the waves or the boat packed with gear and full of water or the cliffs on one side and foaming holes on the other rushing by at 15 MPH, but because I scouted it alone for two hours in the rain, and then ran it, alone, in the bottom of a mile deep canyon. Lava Falls, which some week or so later I spent about 10 minutes scouting, had nothing on Granite. Nothing.

View attachment Gdnc74oigWNqCi4B7WghsbbWyDX9J1TGi408rrbcf_gUKDY-H-liVq2Z57Hijpjynl5UER5GvchbCiT-E7k9jFdF1P0KH5YwmQDj

When I'm solo in a scary place there is a focus to my attention that is like a repetition of unconscious things, there is an elevated sense of awareness, like I can see things I normally cannot see, like a bold colored emphasis causing all my nerve endings to tingle, and this tunnel vision of sorts is one of the best feelings in the world. Like some sort of universal natural high that exists only in the way your mind interacts with the earth. My father later admitted that he has never seen me in the state I was in on the drive out to the Grand Canyon, which is funny, because I have almost no memory of the drive. I was already disappearing below the rim, moving into that canyon in my mind that is far more special, far more precious, far deeper, than any canyon on earth. But you already know this, because this ain't your first rodeo.

Quite an impressive feat paddling the canyon solo. The sort of undertaking that stretches you in majestic and terrifying ways.

Do you now see the world outside of the canyon in new ways?

Curious, as I had an extended trip that truly stretched me, nothing as demanding as yours but one that asked more of me than any trip I'd ever been on. I came back looking at the world I left differently.

Like your writing style - the Bright Lights, Big City metaphor was a pretty good descriptor

Mr. McCreary: I am in awe that you were able to paddle upstream to Spencer Beach, mile 246, from Pearce Ferry, mile 280.5. I had 5 MPH current all the way.
I’m assuming the lake was significantly higher when you accomplished said feat, but still. Wow. Impressive. (And nice write up.)

As to the higher-than-average flow, it made almost no difference at all to me.

Skwid, no need for the honorific “ry” appended to my name.

That was in the fall of 1988. Not that impressive; Lake Mead was full at the time and the lower canyon backwatered a long ways up. There were pontoon houseboats anchored at Emery Falls (mile 274) and others a couple miles upstream in small canyons on river left in the Hualapai Reservation.

At the time you could legally paddle as far upstream as Separation (serious attainers only I suppose) with a free permit from the Hoover Dam Visitors center. I read about that opportunity when I was in the area and on a whim decided to give it a go.

I had no map of any kind. What do I need a map for? Paddle a couple miles across Lake Mead from Pearce Ferry, turn right, paddle up the Colorado into the Grand Wash cliffs.

Not sure where you got Spencer Canyon. I did not get anywhere near mile 246. My last campsite was in a canyon on river right (left for me going upstream), which was most likely Ticanebitts (mile 264) or possibly Burnt Spring (mile 259), so I probably managed all of 15 or 20 miles up into the canyon.

I actually probed a couple miles further upstream than that last canyon campsite before returning, but gave up when I came to a surprisingly narrow area where the current became daunting and I couldn’t see around a turn to eyeball how far the fast water went or what came next.

I never made sense of the downstream release timing, which didn’t seem to make a lot of difference, at least in terms of water height in the backwatered lower canyon. Current maybe, but there were faster narrows and slower pool sections along the way. Nothing was 5mph or I would have quit before then.

In any case with Lake Mead levels high the side canyons held water a good ways back, which was a boon to easy canyon camping. The last canyon I camped in was floatable for at least ¼ mile back from the river. Looking at a topo I would guess that to have been Ticanebitts, and the narrows on the curve just before Burnt Springs to have turned me back.

An old Belknap’s river guide (circa 1993, I finally bought a map a few years later) shows both high and low Lake Mead water outlines for the lower canyon. High at 1221 feet, low (or low at the time, different nowadays) at 1157 feet.

Lake Mead was a low as 1074 feet last summer; that is 147 feet of elevation in backwatered difference between full and drained pool.

We tried to replicate that trip in the late 1990’s on a family cross country journey. Lake Mead was so low that launching from Pearce Ferry would have involved an insanely long mudflat slog just to get to the shallow water’s edge. For that reason (and others) we never even launched a boat.

Other reason: We camped at Pearce Ferry for a few days waiting for the wind to stop. It didn’t. It blew as hard as anything I have endured for two straight days (and nights). Hard enough to blow pea sized rocks and pebbles into the sliding door track on our minivan, which ever after made a noise to remind me of that aborted adventure.

If Pearce Ferry is still a take out the launch must have been moved a mile or more out into the old lake bed.

I will never see the Grand Canyon downstream of Lees Ferry from a canoe (or, not being a group person, from any other craft). I have simply gazed downstream from the bank at Lee’s Ferry at the standing waves, considered my skills and said nuh-uh.

I am glad I got to see at least the bottom 15 or 20 miles in a solo boat. Even that wee bit was mind blowing.

If Lake Mead is ever full again that is a good wimpy way to see some of the Grand Canyon from a small boat. Anathema I know, but a fast sea kayak might be the way to go upstream.

BTW, no one wanted to play in Prologues to what is possible, despite dropping tortured quote Easter eggs aplenty.

http://withhiddennoise.net/2007/05/prologues-to-what-is-possible/

Uncle_Skwid - welcome back! I have only an inkling of perception of what this trip has meant to you, but I am sure that it was a trip, the stuff of which dreams are made. Thanks for the vicarious pleasure of your report. I hope there is more.

Ah. Yes. My apologies, Mr. McCrea. I'll try to remember to drop the suffix, and leave you where you belong.

I got Spencer Canyon from what I assumed was one of your articles in my rather extensive online search of solo paddlers in the Grand Canyon. Get Lost Magazine? This paragraph:

"Next day, as I am lazing about the campsite, a rafting party drifts into my hidey-hole and professes their astonishment at seeing a solo canoeist in these parts. I discover from them that I am camped in Spencer Canyon, that the fast water immediately at the mouth of the canyon is what remains of Lava Cliff rapid, now drowned by Lake Mead, and that I am less than 6 miles from the permitted limit of upstream navigation, Separation Rapid."

That would be mile 246, immediately upstream of the mythical and as-of-yet-unfound by me Buzz Holmstrom inscription. Earlier in this thread you mentioned your upstream paddle and some of the details were the same, so I assumed... Perhaps embellished for the essay, or perhaps Get Lost Magazine stole your story from elsewhere. Spencer Canyon was rather beautiful, and I was sorry I didn't have the time or the weather for exploring it further, beyond, of course, using the toilet. Of course, proclaiming some random canyon of the Grand Canyon beautiful is sort of like saying, "Hey! My grass is green. Imagine that!"

I paddled through walls of Lake Mead silt below Seperation Canyon that were 10' to 30' high, and slowly but surely sloughing off into the river. The death and slow rebirth of a canyon, I suppose. The helicopter traffic was nearly continuous, even in the clouds and rain, but the river current continued, probably four and five MPH, all the way to Pearce Ferry. I really couldn't imagine paddling up the canyon from Pearce, though of course Verlun Kruger did a supposed up-canyon run at some point in his illustrious paddling career.

Pearce Ferry takeout was indeed closed for some years due to the dropping lake levels and the fact that the road no longer reached the water. It was reopened in maybe 2012? 2010? after the road was lengthened out to the new low levels of Lake Mead. The takeout is nice and there are even BATHROOMS! though when I took out it had been raining for a few days and the road was getting sloppy. (We drove an old Honda Accord out there.) My father was getting visibly concerned about getting out the dirt road as I stood around celebrating with the Oregon Crew and the rain continued to fall. Apparently it never rains in the desert.

And indeed, the Grand Canyon was absolutely breath-taking all the way out.

Thanks Steve (in Idaho). I'll try not to inundate you will all of my various drafts, but I'll try to put up a few pertinent sentences.

Mr. McCrea (without ry): Here's the link to your story, in the event you are still scratching your head.

It's been a slow afternoon at work. I just read through most of the McCrea selection of articles. I particularly liked the one about naked cops and priests.

I got Spencer Canyon from what I assumed was one of your articles in my rather extensive online search of solo paddlers in the Grand Canyon. Get Lost Magazine? This paragraph:

"Next day, as I am lazing about the campsite, a rafting party drifts into my hidey-hole and professes their astonishment at seeing a solo canoeist in these parts. I discover from them that I am camped in Spencer Canyon, that the fast water immediately at the mouth of the canyon is what remains of Lava Cliff rapid, now drowned by Lake Mead, and that I am less than 6 miles from the permitted limit of upstream navigation, Separation Rapid."

I pulled out my trip journals from that 18 month roadtrip. Right you are, and the rafters were too, Spencer Canyon. Who am I to argue with people with a map.

Lava Cliff is at about 1221 feet in elevation, and the full pool level on Mead at 1204, so that makes sense.

When I think about that 30 years ago trip I am always tucked back deep in Ticanebitts, finishing up the last of my provisions.

Good to hear that rafters are still as generous and welcoming to weirdos in canoes.

Last edited:
As I said, Mr.McCrea, impressive. Even if the impressive feat was back when you could paddle 34 miles UPSTREAM and grow an awesome, Bob Foote ponytail.

Mr. Gage writes:

"Just before a big trip, whether it be a canoe trip or cross country road trip where I'll travel back roads looking for out of the way hiking opportunities, I'm always filled with a mixture of excitement and sadness. Excitement obviously comes from the impending trip and what it will bring. The sadness is because I wish I didn't want to take this long solo trip. I'm really only comfortable when I'm alone and I wish it weren't so.

But it's hard to tell people something I haven't really figured out for myself. So when people ask I just shrug my shoulders and tell them because I don't like other people. To try and make it be on my terms. That it's the rest of humanity's problem and not mine."

There is more truth here than I probably care to admit. This notion is certainly informing my writings and understanding of my recent trip. Very insightful, as always. And honest. Thank you.

Back