• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Question about Minnesota regulation

Reaction score
Hello, I know that MN requires a registered canoe and if I register in Indiana, I'm good to go there. I note that I see many canoes in MN with no hull numbers, only a sticker to seemingly denote a registered canoe. I am not legally required to register my canoe in Indiana, so I could technically get away with displaying my registration sticker without the hull numbers, which I really would not enjoy seeing on my canoe. I tried searching this at a MN DNR site without success.

Anyone have any insight on this? Hope it's clear as to what I'm asking...

Cary

Hello, I know that MN requires a registered canoe and if I register in Indiana, I'm good to go there. I note that I see many canoes in MN with no hull numbers, only a sticker to seemingly denote a registered canoe. I am not legally required to register my canoe in Indiana, so I could technically get away with displaying my registration sticker without the hull numbers, which I really would not enjoy seeing on my canoe. I tried searching this at a MN DNR site without success.

Anyone have any insight on this? Hope it's clear as to what I'm asking...

Cary

I'm unsure on the legalities of your specific question but you are correct that Minnesota doesn't require numbers to be applied to the hull, only the registration sticker. I'm guessing with only a registration sticker from IN you'd be fine but can't say for sure.

Alan

Indiana does not require registration of canoes, unless there is a motor involved. However, we do have to purchase a state Lake permit tag to place on the haul for select state controlled waters. We went to the BWCA last year and I just purchased the MN tags, which is a three year tag, and fairly simple to acquire.. I also had to purchase the Indiana lake permit tag, as we also go on state owned lakes.

MN doesn't require registration if you are registered in any other state. Hull numbers are only required if you use a motor so yes, if you canoe has a registration sticker you are good to go.

MN requires a bill of sale or title to register a canoe. The first time you have to send them a copy. The cost is $21 for 3 years. Later on you can renew on their website.

http://dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

Not always. Since we do not have to register here in Indiana, I had lost the Cerotificate of Orgin sometime in the past. This just caused the need for an additional form stating your ownership of the canoe, nothing more.

For registeration here in Indiana, the base fee for a canoe is $21, plus a $5 DNR fee, plus a lake enhancement fee. Cheaper in MN.

Bryan

Lucky you are not from Iowa! We have to put numbers as well as a sticker.
The DNR says, that the State gets a kick back from the Coast Guard in the tune of $2, for every vessel wearing numbers.
If that was true, I'd think other States would jump on this.

At one time, I licensed a canoe in Mn. But as an Iowa resident, that is not legal here.

I know this doesn't apply to you, just wanted to vent.
I hate putting numbers on my strippers !

IMG_0284_zpsvvt39gbd.jpg

Jim

IYIYIYI!!! Cant register here in Maine. Not that I want to pretend its motorized. Not only would there be a registration fee but it would be taxed each year.

Uh Uh.. Think I will continue to flee to NY and Canada and New England. None of those states or countries require registration.

Not always. Since we do not have to register here in Indiana, I had lost the Cerotificate of Orgin sometime in the past. This just caused the need for an additional form stating your ownership of the canoe, nothing more.

For registeration here in Indiana, the base fee for a canoe is $21, plus a $5 DNR fee, plus a lake enhancement fee. Cheaper in MN.

Bryan

I didn't have a BOS for my canoe either but was able to 'produce' one after some 'searching'.

Thanks everyone! I was back into a work cycle and forgot all about my post here.

I'll be happy to register in Indiana.. not an issue. I've bought the state park lake permits for the last three years. I just have to take the canoe and BOS (absolutely lost at this time) to the local police department to verify the hull ID number and then register it.

Great summary BWCA66. :)

Jim Dodd: I feel your pain. Those are beauties... the italicized letters look a lot better than the block (and probably legal) letters.

Thanks again everyone!

Cary

Yeah, I had a friend from WI who bought a canoe from IA once and since it had the IA numbers on it and WI doesn't license canoes he just left them on and used it in MN for many years without ever getting questioned!

No canoe registration in Virginia unless one uses a motor or (I think) a sail rig. What, you mean if I hauled my old Grumman to MN it would be illegal?

I think it was proposed that all canoes in MN required to be registered even if on a car or trailer. I don't think it went anywhere so hauling is OK. Putting in water without being registered in some state would be a no no
You might try Pennsylvania. I've registered a canoe there. Not hard and the last I did it no BOS or title needed
Things could have changed of course

Yeah, if you put it in the water in MN it needs to have a license on it. $21 for 3 years but no good way for an out of state person to get one quick.

To register a boat in Maryland the DNR wants the registrant to provide the Manufacturer’s Certificate or Origin, not just a bill of sale.

In a startlingly sensible move the State provides that, in order to register a canoe (which in MD is only needed if the canoe will be motorized) the owner can alternatively provide a photograph of the canoe and a photo of the Hull Identification Number.

Most of my canoes were purchased used and did not come with a COO. For used canoes I have bought or sold I have typed up a Bill of Sale, with fill in the blank spaces for the date of sale, make, model, HIN, size and purchase price, signed by both the buyer and seller, but that is mostly as reassurance of an honest transaction.

Someone from up north correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Canadian canoe manufacturers even provide a Certificate of Origin.

If a Pennsylvania Fish Commission sticker (which PA requires to use Fish Commission launches) will suffice for registration in Minnesota that would be cheaper and less obtrusive than hull numbers. See “Un-powered boat permits at the bottom of the linked page). Can be done on-line or through the mail.

http://fishandboat.com/registration.htm

I think it was proposed that all canoes in MN required to be registered even if on a car or trailer. I don't think it went anywhere so hauling is OK. Putting in water without being registered in some state would be a no no
You might try Pennsylvania. I've registered a canoe there. Not hard and the last I did it no BOS or title needed
Things could have changed of course
Did you get the DCNR boat registration with #'s or the Fish and Boat Commission launch permit? The registration is only needed with a motor or over a specific length if self propelled. The launch permit is only required if you use a FBC access area. State Parks also issue a launch permit and they used to be reciprical with FBC.

I just got the PFC permit sticker not a full reg. It might suffice for MN and might not.

I have avoided the Boundary Waters like the plague just cause the hassle is not worth it. For the same drive I can have Wabakimi and Quetico, for half the drive Algonquin and La Verendrye and Temagami and for a small fraction of the drive the Adirondacks and Maine.. No registration needed

Someone from up north correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Canadian canoe manufacturers even provide a Certificate of Origin.

I have a certificate of origin for my NovaCraft Pal.

Illinois only requires registration of motorized boats, my Jonboat needs a license for my trolling motor, but my canoe only needs a Water Usage Stamp. I do have to provide the HIN to get the stamp.

I was able to register my canoe at the DMV in Duluth on a Saturday last year. They required nothing other than the serial number off the boat and information from me to give me the sticker. It took less than 5 minutes to get it done. Out of staters don't need a bill of sale or any other paperwork, that is, unless the boat had been previously registered under a different name in Minnesota. I think that may cause some issues with them thinking you may have a stolen boat.

Back