• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Question about Minnesota regulation

Someone from up north correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Canadian canoe manufacturers even provide a Certificate of Origin.

Yes they do and the address of manufacture is on the boat. Both Swift and Souris River supply same I have to prove its made in North America to pass Customs duty free. Its quite easy to take the agent to the label on the boat.

I was able to register my canoe at the DMV in Duluth on a Saturday last year. They required nothing other than the serial number off the boat and information from me to give me the sticker. It took less than 5 minutes to get it done. Out of staters don't need a bill of sale or any other paperwork, that is, unless the boat had been previously registered under a different name in Minnesota. I think that may cause some issues with them thinking you may have a stolen boat.

Amazing that you found a DMV open on a Saturday, if you hadn't stopped in Duluth you would not have found one up near the BWCA anywhere. It still bafffels me that MN doesn't title canoes or kayaks and yet makes you go to a DMV to get the license which is only $21 for 3 years - you think they would make it as easy to get as a fishing license since.

Back