• Happy Leif Erikson Day! ⛵🪓🛡️

Post your training paddles

This is good info to have. I have been running into a similar problem and believed it was some form issue causing the imbalanced fatigue. While my form is definitely a work in progress, I am glad to hear that there might just be some muscle adaptation happening alongside.

I think it's a combination of specific paddling strength and form/technique. They both get better with time on the water.

I remember one summer when I was in the best paddling shape I'd ever been in. I won the Jensen Handicap race in Minnesota that summer (lucky draw for a great partner). The next year I started building my own house and had only been on the water a couple times for leisurely paddles. The race has a traveling trophy so when I came back to return the trophy the next summer I decided to race since I was there anyway and what a difference it was!

I felt like I had nothing to give. I felt strong at the start but soon I felt very fatigued and I couldn't sprint to save my life. I could maintain a steady power but I just did not have a higher gear to kick into. I didn't feel out of breath, just like I had no power. I doubt my form or technique had degraded that much but those paddling muscles sure had.

Alan
 
Is this your Barracuda? What a beauty!

That is the AGX. It was my first hull design and gave me the speed I had hoped the Barracuda was going to give me.

18.5' long and 27" wide

Surprisingly friendly to paddle for what it is. I'm much more comfortable in this than I ever was in a racing C1. Speed seems to fall somewhere in the middle between a racing C1 and something like a SR Blackwater or Barracuda. And it has room in the bow for a (small) dog, which was a large design criteria.

Alan
 
Back
Top Bottom