• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Pond Hopping the Environs of Willys & Walker Lakes (Adirondacks)

Reaction score
Paul Conklin (Curtis Mayfly)
April 18-22 2016

Only one new body of water was added to my list of significant ponds of the Five Ponds. Most of the areas I went through, I have been to before, but never had I carried a canoe to Willys, Walker or Hawk Ponds. In my opinion, there is no better way of exploring, than from the seat of a canoe. Of course, water is necessary for this type of exploration. The density of ponds north of the Stillwater Reservoir, coupled with a healthy beaver population make the region a pond-hopper's paradise.

I would complete a counter-clockwise loop stating from Trout Pond on Stillwater, north to Walker Lake and return via the Lyon, Raven Lake corridor. Besides aforementioned ponds, of particular interest was a chain of beaver ponds on the Walker Lake Outlet. This stretch of small water is the true source of the Middle Branch Oswegatchie. Excluding the reservoir and numerous beaver ponds, the Mayfly's hull was wetted in fifteen different named or otherwise significant bodies of water.

I should also mention that over the winter I spent considerable time researching new gear and equipment that might enhance my paddlewhacking experience. I now insulate a new War Bonnet Black Bird hammock with top and bottom quilts, saving 3 lbs. off my old Hennessy and pad system. My base gear has become lighter, warmer and more comfortable but more important than any of that is a reduction in pack volume. I now have room for a pair of binoculars and perhaps an extra can of beer.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/114267878012874538920/6276833412661702753

Last edited:
All beautiful ponds worth finding. What a different world before the forest leafs out and fills up with green.
Thanks Conk.

Nice trip Conk. I bow before your high level of organization, route finding and brushbusting energies. Off season is sure the way to go to do that. Thanks,

Conk, I always enjoy your photos and captions. Nice job with the water heater insulated foil on the cup, sipping lip divot and all.

It has been 20 years since I’ve been to Stillwater. We had some great family trips there when the boys were young.

Nice job with the water heater insulated foil on the cup, sipping lip divot and all.
The insulated cups I have come across are either too heavy and/or bulky for my kit. When I found a titanium snow peak, I fell in love with its size and weight, only 1.2 ounces. Most titanium lightweights have foldout handles, I despise foldouts on my pots and likewise on a mug, the rim wrapping, ridged handle on my cup leaves the sides clear of obstructions for a slip-on cozy.

My first slip-on was made from Reflectix and was extremely effective at insulating my coffee but the bottom was slightly convex which caused a stability problem when the cup was not in hand. I decided the bottom should be made of a ridged material like minicell but encountered problems attempting to tape Reflectix to it. I ended up with a 1/8[SUP]th[/SUP] inch wrap of minicell (sliced on the band saw) for sidewall insulation. It has proven to be almost as effective as Reflectix and I can set my coffee down with less fear of its tipping over. The sipping lip divot is adjustable for right or left-handed sipping.

I second what southcove said! What an awesome place to paddlewhack. I've only dreamed of the Redhorse Trail!

Back