• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Poll: How Many Canoes and Kayaks Have you Owned?

How many canoes, kayaks and other human powered boats have you owned in your lifetime?

• 1-3

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 3-6

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 6-10

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • 10-15

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 15-20

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 20-25

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 25-30

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 30-40

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 40-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 50

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
After counting up all the open canoes, kayaks and C1s that I have owned since taking up paddling, I ended up with (so far) 34 boats. I was wondering if this canoe total is normal in the population of paddlers on this website and so decided to try a poll to find out.

See the link below and at https://forum.woodenboat.com/forum/misc-boat-related/125311/page4#post5912944 for my lists of wooden canoes and other small boats from many years ago. They add up quickly,

Benson

Last edited:
It's difficult for me to tally, I've built over 30, but several of those were for the school club. I selected 15 to 20, but I suspect it is higher, maybe around 30.

I have owned 20, a number which overlaps into two categories, so I chose 15-20. That total includes 17 canoes and three sea kayaks. I returned my first canoe to the dealer (a Pelican), sold two of the canoes, and one canoe was absconded. So I currently have 16 boats, of which three are in my garage, 12 are on my outdoor racks, and one is at my daughter's house in Florida.

I still have every canoe I have every owned, totaling only nine (so far), including my first 17' Grumman lightweight. All still in excellent shape with just one Hornbeck slightly scratched exception. I have never owned any kayak and likely never will. A local friend of mine started hand building woodstrip canoes and guideboats more than 50 years ago which became his lifelong primary source of income. At last count he is approaching 1000 built and sold.

Last edited:
Right now I'm at 13 and I can easily think of others that I've sold in the past. For that reason, I figured it was safer to check the 15-20 box. For all I know, it might actually be a bit more.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've had (and still have) eight.

The first is a W/C Lakefield acquired in 1964(?) (not legally owned by me until 2011), the rest are all Royalex (Mad River or Mohawk).

Since I've never gotten rid of any I might qualify as a "faux hoarder" because really, a measly 8 boats does not a hoarder make (or maybe those with 20+ are actually gluttons).

I have my priorities, I've only owned 4 automobiles in my life (no motorcycles, atv's snowmobiles, airplanes or other motorized conveyances).

Hoarders! What Hoarders?
Perhaps I should have mentioned that of the 34 which I have owned, I am currently down (up?) to 10 boats between my overstuffed boat house (AKA "The Garage") and my studio/woodturning shop. Is that really too many? I can still count them all on my fingers.

It's difficult for me to tally, I've built over 30, but several of those were for the school club. I selected 15 to 20, but I suspect it is higher, maybe around 30.
Yeah, first question is what counts as owning? What counts as a paddle craft?

I think that means to many.

18 that I can think of right now. That includes mostly dinghies for rowing and often sailing. It doesn't include at least three that I acquired but passed on without using. The current fleet is seven, four of which fold to store.

Seven I think. Three currently, which is all I have space for. Solo canoe, tandem canoe, and a recreational kayak.

Pretty sure it's just 4... a home made stitch and glue, two wood-canvas, and a carbon fiber. Still have 2 of them.

7 in the last 54 years - 4 acquired new, 3 used. Currently own just 2 but I might be in the market for one more.

Really hard to say…started officially with 1/2 of a Sportspal split with my father, more for him than me.
Started building when I was 22 years old, one every few years or sometimes 2 or 3 in a calendar year.
Over 30 in total, but currently 2 in the garage, 4 in the 48 ft trailer, one under the trailer. Oh and a 19 ft high performance sailboat behind the garage.
Many boat builds were built to spec or sold soon after completion. I haven’t counted any of the two dozen that I’ve directly assisted to build, and of course I can’t count any virtual assistance.

Wow. I thought I had pretty bad boat disease. It is hard to stop looking at what is for sale. Now I feel a lot better in the 6-10 range.

I still have a 19 foot power boat which is a fishing machine. I will probably sell it.
I am down to one canoe and a drift boat. The DB is roomy and can handle class III water well. It is great to be able to move around and bring dogs and inexperienced people. I can control the boat with oars solo. I run it on lakes with a 6 hp Tohatsu.

Back