• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Project Cedar strip from Ohio

Reaction score
Received a call last week from a gentlemen here in Dallas, TX that was moving and need to get rid of a canoe. Over the phone he said it was a strip boat he had built and it was more of a racing style than a tripping boat. So I went by and took a look at it yesterday and picked it up and brought it home.

He doesn’t remember what plans was used. But it measures 18’3” long. With a 33 1/2” beam and 29”ish at the 3” water line. The bow and stern height is 14” and midship is 11 3/4”. He said that the timber came from a farm in Thompson Ohio and was built around 40 years ago. He had raced it a few times and took it on a couple of trips.

It needs the outer fiberglass stripped off as most of it is turning loose already. But the cedar still looks good underneath. He just wanted someone to take it and fix it. And it not end up in the trash somewhere. So it’s going in the shop for now. Till this winter and then it will get refinished. IMG_4012.jpegIMG_4011.jpegIMG_4010.jpeg

At least peeling that cloth off should be easy ! It appears to be built with Polyester resin.

Good project !

I've turned down projects in around the same shape. Once you get into it you will have a better idea, but there will be a significant cash investment in trying to restore something that might prove to be a big headache. At least it looks like the gunwales are screwed on, so if you take them off or replace them, you won't have the glued on head ache to deal with.

I'm betting I could get those gunnels off easy , even if they had been glued on !

Once a set of gunnels are in bad shape ! It really doesn't matter how they were put on !

The Polyester resined cloth will peel easily.
Unless this hull had some sentimental attach, or it's just a challenge ? I'd rather build a new canoe.

Jim

Last edited:
So yea the gunnels are all screwed on. And look like they will come off easy. I have already done a test peel on the bottom and took a 2sqft piece of fiberglass off last night just messing around with it.

Everything look good on the boat. It will be a good challenge and be a good boat for me or a friend. And I hate seeing certain things just get thrown away if they are not to far gone.

More than likely it’s a polyester resin build.
Easy enough to strip and reglass the outside, but inside will be a nuisance job.
Looks like a modified comp cruiser, nice enough hull design but unless you have plenty of free time, might not be worth resurrecting.

Back