• Happy Premieres of "Captain Kangaroo" and "Mickey Mouse Club" (1955)! 📺

Photo of the day

How were the levels on the Current? We ran a couple sections of Jacks Fork this week and it's the lowest it's been in all the years we've been coming.
 
How were the levels on the Current? We ran a couple sections of Jacks Fork this week and it's the lowest it's been in all the years we've been coming.

It was the lowest I’ve ever ran it at Akers. 0.73 ft, but still ~140ish cfs. It was low but channelized well and we only had to get out and walk in one short spot. In most of the riffles, if you picked the right line you could still make it. I ran Pulltite to Round Spring the week before and it was better due to the extra springs coming in.
 
Most people on this forum look forward to getting away from people on their canoe trips. My day to day experience has been a little different recently.

My wife and I are what I'm telling work is "extended medical tourism" and so renting a garage apartment (termed "carriage house apartment" in the lease) behind a water front house. The landlord is amiable and permits me use of a their royalex Old Towne Camper. On a typical 30 minute "trip" between obligations, I revel in views of unoccupied multi-million houses. Also, herons, gulls, and seals. Bird calls and the slap of jumping fish carry on the water. So do private conversations held in the (less common) occupied estates.
1000003054.jpg
 
Got back to the cabin after doing stuff with my wife, including lunch with a couple of beers... it was nap on the couch on the porch or get outside, and it was just too nice a day to be slothful. The colors are just starting to turn.

1791058477681.jpeg

Of course the beavers had blocked the bridge again, so I headed back home but it was just too nice to go in, so I just paddled and played along the shoreline going nowhere for another half hour or so.

1791058705333.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom