• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Photo of the day

Same blackwater creek I paddled yesterday and while there is fog around, it is not hanging low, dense, and mystical
463C418C-19CE-473E-81C2-75947EED78C9.jpeg

like New Years Day. I’m on a roll - I’ve now paddled every day this year.

For you Canadians and maybe you Americans who live in northern Minnesota, New York or Maine—and who fortunately still sort of live in the aqueous world of Bill Mason—this is what it typically looks like when a canoeist goes on group paddling trip in most of the USA: a solitary canoe surrounded by a swarm of kayaks.

Nice picture, in any event.

this is what it typically looks like when a canoeist goes on group paddling trip in most of the USA: a solitary canoe surrounded by a swarm of kayaks.
Pretty much like it looks here in Florida too. So far if I’m on a paddle with two canoes, it’s because both are mine.

"this is what it typically looks like when a canoeist goes on group paddling trip in most of the USA: a solitary canoe surrounded by a swarm of kayaks."

I guess it makes sense. Most of the the US is a territory full of rivers, where portages are few. A heavy kayak is not a big issue. Canada (at least the Shield) is a territory of lakes with numerous portages between them. A light portageable open-topped canoe makes sense.

Well, the local pond partway thawed and air temps hit the mid 40s F in the middle of last week so I snuck out at lunch. Someone had already broken ice from the launch to the open water. It was nice to get out - no snow and solid lakes and ponds has been a real downer this winter. This week we're finally getting a modicum of snow and the ponds are refreezing. If I have to hang up the paddle, at least I may get to take out the XC skis. Gotta have my outdoor gliding fix one way or another!

image.jpg

The kids’ dance schedule and the rain have conspired against me to keep me grounded. I threatened to take a day off work to go paddlin since it’s been so nice during the week.

Back