• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Photo of the day

For Hanz and Robin.

My Chestnut Fox on it's inaugural trip this past summer, waiting to get back in the water after a port.

I'm enjoying the photos and the accompanying stories.

The wooden canoe photos are making me want one. They have wonderful lines and are so interesting to look at.

Hanz you don't have half the idea what you are wandering into. But its a Wonderful World! My wooden canoe maker friend and I "feel up " hull shapes by the light of the moon every Assembly. I prefer the Chestnut shape and eschew what I call the squashed pumpkin shape. The latter is wide at a low spot in the hull and the former wider higher up and it carries up to the stems. In terms of modern shapes the Chestnut is closer to David Yost designs and the latter is Wenonah.

Waterdog, I am thinking of Purcell Trench Grill in a positive. Would it not work with a few extra pieces of wood as a litter? I figure its not about the most perfect tool but using what you have to improvise.

Hanz you don't have half the idea what you are wandering into. But its a Wonderful World! My wooden canoe maker friend and I "feel up " hull shapes by the light of the moon every Assembly. I prefer the Chestnut shape and eschew what I call the squashed pumpkin shape. The latter is wide at a low spot in the hull and the former wider higher up and it carries up to the stems. In terms of modern shapes the Chestnut is closer to David Yost designs and the latter is Wenonah.

Waterdog, I am thinking of Purcell Trench Grill in a positive. Would it not work with a few extra pieces of wood as a litter? I figure its not about the most perfect tool but using what you have to improvise.

I'm sure one could integrate it somehow if it was necessary. I'd probably try something else first. I'm usually only with my dog so if she needs a stretcher it will be a whole different concept, where one end will drag on the ground. Rickshaw like?

Frankstown Br. Little Juniata River, Raystown PA

Frankstown Br. Little Juniata River, Raystown PA

one of the local rivers. Great swimming holes in the summer, and you can fish your way down to the car while letting the current carry you down. Thought I'd come up with a clever thought on how the fish I just caught was really bait, but nope that's a small smallie. There are whopper fish of many species in the river though.

This is my dearly departed Osprey. It was my main solo canoe for ten years, but I wore it out and gave the remains away to someone who would treat it in a kinder fashion. I am thinking of building a new one this year, rather than another Raven, as I'm trying to down size. By downsize, I mean I need to lose 40 pounds, and I'll build the Osprey light too, gotta try to keep my sketchy back healthy.

Mine was a factory tandem which I converted by hanging the single seat from the existing bow seat holes. I built and caned the seat myself. Mine is a whopping 57 pounds.

W/D means that every hull imperfection and just a little off tack telegraphs through. It requires lots of precision fitting and maybe more time than you want to spend. Wood boats can be made lighter by using thinner planking and ribs.

At some point the benefits of light weight in W/D or W/C construction might be negated by the need to boulder pound on trips.

This is my dearly departed Osprey. It was my main solo canoe for ten years, but I wore it out and gave the remains away to someone who would treat it in a kinder fashion. I am thinking of building a new one this year, rather than another Raven, as I'm trying to down size. By downsize, I mean I need to lose 40 pounds, and I'll build the Osprey light too, gotta try to keep my sketchy back healthy.

Great looking canoe, Rob. You are fortunate to have been able to wear it out.

Mine was a factory tandem which I converted by hanging the single seat from the existing bow seat holes. I built and caned the seat myself. Mine is a whopping 57 pounds.

Nice job! I couldn't tell. 57#s isn't terrible, I'm sure it could be a lot heavier.

Nicer to look at than most lighter craft.

one of the local rivers. Great swimming holes in the summer, and you can fish your way down to the car while letting the current carry you down. Thought I'd come up with a clever thought on how the fish I just caught was really bait, but nope that's a small smallie. There are whopper fish of many species in the river though.

Fishing with the pooch while drifting in a canoe. What's not to like?

Loon Works Aria. By Tom MacKenzie who builds wherever he happens to live at the time. That one was built in a basement of a pecky cypress lake home in Parsippany 30 minutes from the George Washington Bridge. So its a JOISEY boat!

Designed by David Yost its the wooden version of the WildFire.

http://coldencanoe.com/the-team.html

Last edited:
For Hanz and Robin.

My Chestnut Fox on it's inaugural trip this past summer, waiting to get back in the water after a port.

That is a sexy boat. I want one. But my luck it would blow off the rack and shatter into a million pieces :rolleyes::p

Back