• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Photo of the day

Lake Lila end of September 2013
49811133308_c5cf92218c_b.jpg
P9300309 by Barry Rains, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok, here's a new one, didn't get to it first thing this morning, but better late than never!

This was ten years ago on the Kenogamisis River, before it turns into Kenogamisis Lake by Geraldton. Think it was day 9 of a 10 day trip that had been very wet. The hairy guy in the bow was my Head Brigade leader for the trip, a grade twelve student. We're going to be doing this trip again in June, haven't done it for five years.

Still time to paddle the lake is deep enough so it won't freeze for a couple of weeks. That is a commercial campground across from our house.

My dog is well behaved in the canoe when climbing beaver dams. Sometimes I even have to crawl over the gear to the front of the boat with her to find good footing, but she knows just what to do...NOTHING!

Cheers,
Barry

Hey waterdog,
Where was that photo taken? Looks similar to a spot on the Essex Chain..

Here's my contribution form this past summer an the East Branch of the West Canada Creek

DSC_1025.JPG

Waterdog, what model canoe is your Stewart River? I love Alex's boats and would love to have the money to buy one.

The canoe in my Alaska picture is a green Old Town Penobscot. L'oiseau, I did paddle a 15' Scott Huron on a different day, which I assume I mentioned in a post I made somewhere that you read.

Thanks for the comments all. This morning's pic has a different flavor than the norm. This is at Garburateur rapid on the main channel of the Ottawa River.

Stripperguy, the picture was taken from campsite 17. You can just make out Mt. Frederica through the layers of fog. Glen, the boat is a 16' Prospector. He also makes it in 17'. Alex Comb is a great guy to talk to. As my dog ages, I'm considering a Stewart River solo canoe as well for North Country trips.

Have a nice Monday if you can,

Barry

Wowza! That's bigger water than I think I've ever been in. Nice shot! Stripperguy the colours in that picture are so amazing. Do you use a filter or something?
This shot is buddy of mine who came as staff on a 12 day trip down the Steel Lake system. Great guy, great sense of humour, and no fear of loon crap.

Five Finger Rapids, Yukon River Quest canoe race, June 2013. Photos by Yukon professional photographer Harry Kern. Harry was in a large motorboat, but he stationed himself directly on the prime safest track line through the rapids. That caused some concern for us as we entered the rapids, but I knew that he was an experienced professional and expected that he would pull back before we made the passage through. He did. Other racers who did not heed the advice of recommended track line did capsize here during the race. The photo boat does double duty as a safety and recovery boat. Our cedar strip voyageur canoe was built by Grasse River Boatworks.

3uSVuc2.jpg

Last edited:
My Brother and I paddling on the Raquette River in the Adirondacks. He's paddling with his Lab in a Bell Northstar, and I'm solo in a Bell Rockstar on a cool, stormy Fall morning. I like the drabness of the grey fog.

Barry

Wowza! That's bigger water than I think I've ever been in. Nice shot! Stripperguy the colours in that picture are so amazing. Do you use a filter or something?
This shot is buddy of mine who came as staff on a 12 day trip down the Steel Lake system. Great guy, great sense of humour, and no fear of loon crap.

Thanks, memequay,
I use a polarizing filter on my outdated Nikon D80, and a Nikkor 18-200 lens. No other filters, and no digital fiddling, that image is straight out of the camera. Exposure and luck are key...

I've got to get one of those polarizing filters, plus a new lense cap. mine went for a swim last spring.
Next pic was from 2004. We had run out of days due to big winds and were forced to port out of Ara lake on an old snowmobile trail that was a muddy mess. 2.2 kilometers long. Right at the start, one of the girls slipped and got a puncture wound in her leg and then started going into shock. We made this stretcher out of two of our big cooking grills and a therma rest. Took about an hour with four people per side to slog her out through a variety of depth of loon crap, helicopter met us at the road. She was fine, a few stitches. The kids performed heroically that day, I was pretty proud of them.

From the 2013 Annual Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Assembly

at dusk.. Jane paddling a Bearwood Canoe by Pam Wedd

Portage on the Noire ( Quebec)

Portage on the Noire ( Quebec)

My Chestnut Pal on a short portage on the Riviere Noire

Quetico group campsite, me second from left, Dutch Oven I had to carry the whole 7days sitting behind me by the log. Haha, The guy who made me carry it went out fishing one day with the whole group, I stayed back. He left his portable solar shower bag on a rock and guess who enjoyed a nice hot shower shortly before he arrived back. Pay backs a bitc*!

Memaquay,

That's a great story and a great stretcher. All I carry is a Purcell Trench grill which would be useless but your picture demonstrates why you can't have too much rope.

Barry

I'm enjoying the photos and the accompanying stories.

The wooden canoe photos are making me want one. They have wonderful lines and are so interesting to look at.

Back