• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Paddle making extravaganza

I didn't know SUP boards were allowed in Geraldton but it looks like that's what one of those paddles is for. Otherwise they look great!

Alan

Nice. Are you gonna let the kids paint that paddle? If I were you I wouldn't let Darby, Danielle, Kelly or KIm anywhere near that.
Just a hunch.

Last edited:
If it’s purple when cut but eventually turns brown it is most likely Purpleheart.
Nice paddles.
Jim

Purpleheart would be OK as a very thin lam or accent on the handle, but it’s very dense and heavy stuff. It can also be a bear to work with. I had a piece that I ended up final shaping with a file.

Yes it is Woodpuppy, I have some in the shop now and have worked with it. A friend of mine is building a 65’ schooner and used it for the stem, keel, and sternpost. That is where the pieces in my shop came from.
Jim

Well, the extravaganza is over, yesterday was my last day of work for this year. I have been released into the wilds once again. Around 25 paddles were made between two classes, most of them were pretty good, nice looking and functional. I'm paddled out now though, won't be making anymore for quite a while.

0e8f3e42-2b4c-4861-a852-ef9593d055a2.jpg

Works of art, each and everyone. Behind every good student there is an even “GOODER” teacher.
Great job Memaquay, you have given those kids a great gift and something that will be a remembered for a long time.

That's a wonderful shop project for kids. But it starkly limns the differences in culture between Ontario and most parts of the USA, where kids would say, "What the heck would anyone need a canoe paddle for."

The variety of blade shapes is comprehensive, my favorite (not that it matters) currently being probably the 5th from the right. The patterns are creative. Great job by teacher and students.

The walnut paddle looks great. Might look even better without the Hello Kitty sticker.

Alan

That's a wonderful shop project for kids. But it starkly limns the differences in culture between Ontario and most parts of the USA, where kids would say, "What the heck would anyone need a canoe paddle for."

The variety of blade shapes is comprehensive, my favorite (not that it matters) currently being probably the 5th from the right. The patterns are creative. Great job by teacher and students.

My 9yo would be more excited about a blocky paddle in Minecraft. He’d probably go whack sheep with it.

(video game characterized by pixelated stages, objects, animals, and people as a throwback to those gen 1 poor res games)

Back