• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Howzabouta takedown canoe paddle?

Reaction score
Ok - first, don't kill me, but I built a greenland kayak last week and it is A LOT of fun. Got out in the wind and waves and swell and just sat there, snug as a duck. Started to learn to roll; it's early days but I see the light.
Point being, I got a really nice 2-piece greenland paddle with an interesting composite ferrule joining the two halves. I also, by happy chance, have two chunks of sassafras, both of which are wide enough for an ottertail, but neither of which is long enough for a canoe paddle. Given that sassafras needs to be a little thicker around the middle, I think the ferrule style will allow a manageable shaft width.

What I don't know, are the stresses on a canoe paddle significantly greater than those on a greenland paddle? Has anyone built a DIY takedown canoe paddle out of any sort of wood? I didn't see any 2-piece wooden paddles available in a cursory search, although I see a few carbon shafts. Here is the ferrule in question; it's pretty beefy.

The stresses can certainly build quickly. Long levers and high tip loads (large blades) are hallmarks of double blade canoe paddles. I have a couple Bending Branches double blades and the 280cm wood shaft has some significant flex under loading. Not a concerning amount, but enough to remind one of the forces at play.

I think there are few (no?) canoe paddles that break down because they're generally short enough to store easily. In your place I would look at scarfing the two short pieces and leave the ferrule out.
I am interested in your kayak and paddle. Do you have a link to the ferrules? I own my third Folbot, which are skin on frame, and dream of building an SOF canoe.

John, the link for the ferrule is highlighted in blue on the last sentence of my post. I have built a whole mess of SOF canoes and would be happy to get you started or to share what I've learned. Next time I get my kayak on the water I'll snap you a picture. The paddle was made by Norwegian Wood Paddles.
For clarification, I wouldn't seek to build a two-bladed canoe paddle, but a classic single-blade ottertail (along the lines of the Quill, from Fishell) in two pieces. The blade shape of the Quill is slightly wider, but also shorter, than the blade on either end of a greenland paddle. I'd like to try to reduce all the crap I need to carry to get on the water, and if I can stash a backup paddle in the side or top of a backpack, that'd be a step I'd like to take.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why a breakdown canoe paddle wouldn't work. I recently saw somewhere on the interweb a picture of a variable length canoe paddle. 40+ years ago I had Carlisle Paddles make me a component system that could break down and be put together as two canoe paddles, one 9' double blade paddle, two oars, or a 12' pole, with various push-button ferrules to configure the components different ways. I never used the paddles much because they were too heavy.

Back