• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Osprey Build

Well, fiberglass is here, and I have one side rough shaded, probably finish the other tonight, then crack fill, then one more fine sanding. Hopefully finish the exterior before the end of this month. Once that's done, it will only be a few days to finish, as I am not very fussy with the inside or trim.

memequay,
Really? The insides definitely go faster than the outside...but I couldn't dream of finishing in just a few days. I'm anxious to see your hull flipped around.
Hey, that's a pretty manly plane you've got there!

Last edited:
Finished final sanding yesterday, just working on the stems now, I like to bury my extra layer under the full sheet. Hope to fiberglass this coming weekend.

Did the wet out coat today.

Wine glasses aren't for drinking, they're my measuring cups. Had some pumps on some other system three containers, but was too lazy to clean them. Faster this way anyway.

Wet out coat on. Looks fairly ugly at this point, but I'll put two more coats on it tomorrow to bury the weave. Still liking the silver tip, although you can't beat system three clear coat for wet out.

Rob says "Looks fairly ugly at this point..." Maybe it's an eye of the beholder kinda thing, but I like what I see. Very much. It's a beauty Rob.

Put the final fill coat on it tonight. I'll wait a week for everything to be completely cooked, then sand it. Should come off the forms next weekend.

Thanks Rob for the update. It will be definitely be done before ice out this year (July 4th).

Last edited:
Couldn't find any good spruce for gunwales, but did located some nice local birch. I love working with birch, it is so easy to cut and shape, and has a very high strength to weight ratio. Unfortunately, it is short, around five feet, so I will be doing a few scarfs. Going to make all the trim out of birch now, it's probably one of the best woods for shaping a contoured yoke.

How does birch compare to ash for weight? I built a table out of birch once and it was easily as heavy as oak.

Looked up comparisons on line, only thing I could find was the weight of a cord. It says Ash and Birch are similar, at around 4500 pounds per cord. I would dispute that, perhpas birch looses more in the drying process. Oak was listed at 5700 ppc, white pine at 3200 ppc and sprice at 3000 ppc. I find ash to be a rippy wood (no offence intended Rippy), it sometimes peels with sharp pieces. In fact, I snapped the shaft of a white ash paddle, it broke right at my grip hand and cut me to the bone.

Gavia, I noticed there is a big difference in weight listed betwen yellow birch and white birch, with yellow birch being similar to oak, so perhaps your's was yellow.

Anyway, cut my scarf joints today, hope to be gluing before Friday.

Well, after that round of puns, I figured I better get something done. Sanded the fiberglass on the outside today. Seems a shame to rough it all up after it's so clear, but the 120 i used will come to life when i varnish it.

Popped it off the stations, it's holding it's form pretty well, did some measuring, it has only spread about 1/2 inch from the form measurement.

I like the looks so far. Hope to sand the inside tomorrow if i have enough perseverance, then work on trim all week, fiberglass the inside next week and have it all together before the end of April. Not that there will be any water by then, just ice and snow and more snow and ice....argh!

mem,
Is it as exciting for you when you pop it off the forms? Or is it, ho hum, here comes another one?
For me, the anticipation, the weighing, the new perspectives, it still keeps my interest. heck, I'm excited to see yours, and I may never see your boat in person!!
I actually like the whole light strip/dark strip motif, when I see both ends it definitely works.
I don't remember, did you build and paddle this design before?
And the sheer line, is there any excess there?

I think the Osprey was the second or third canoe I built. This one should be better, I wore that first one out. Sheer line might have a 1/4 inch extra, although after i sand it fair, should be pretty close. I was pretty excited today popping it off, although "pop" is a bit of an exaggeration, as I kind of coaxed it off. Didn't have anyone to help, so I sort of ended up rolling it off. Great fun! I hope your stuff for the gunwales comes in soon!

Back