• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Old Town Pack Angler - In Camo?

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of Old Town making the Pack Angler edition in Camo? All the catalogs I can find only show the classic green color available but I recently bought an unmarked canoe that I am pretty sure is the Pack Angler...and it's camo. Pics to follow when it stops storming.

Update*
I think it's some variation of a discovery 119 due to size and weight but it still doesn't quite match up with available options in the catalog for 2012 or 2013. Weighs 52.1 lbs, 11'9" long, 31.5" wide. Has the Pack Angler style seat and deck.

What are your thoughts on it?

Attachments

• Newcanoe serial.jpg
    Newcanoe serial.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240402_232541678.jpg
    PXL_20240402_232541678.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240402_232624334.jpg
    PXL_20240402_232624334.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Not sure of the camo option but welcome to the site and, yes, by all means, add pictures... we do love pictures around here!

The serial number should also be able to positively identify it and some of the folks here are better versed than Google on that stuff.

That would be something to see. The Pack Angler was only offered in green to my knowledge, except in 2008 when an off-white option was available. In the Old Town catalogues, the Pack was only available in green after 1983, the Chipewyan Pack in several colors before that. It may be that someone applied an adhesive 'skin' to the hull, have seen that on a few Mad Rivers lately.

Attachments

• 2008 Angler.jpg
    2008 Angler.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That would be something to see. The Pack Angler was only offered in green to my knowledge, except in 2008 when an off-white option was available. In the Old Town catalogues, the Pack was only available in green after 1983, the Chipewyan Pack in several colors before that. It may be that someone applied an adhesive 'skin' to the hull, have seen that on a few Mad Rivers lately.
According to the seller, they ordered this boat from Dicks sporting goods about 10 years go in a different color but when she went to pick it up the camo color is what it was. She liked it better so she kept it. She removed all the Old Town stickers right after getting it and applied the shiny bird stickers you can see on the bow so there aren't any shadows from the model sticker. She also resealed the thwarts several years ago but made no other modifications.

I've added some pics plus some measurements to my post and while I don't think it is a Pack anymore, it still doesn't quite match their catalog.

I've added some pics plus some measurements to my post and while I don't think it is a Pack anymore, it still doesn't quite match their catalog.
Looks like a Discovery 119 to me—they look pretty similar to the Pack, and definitely were/are available in camo.

Two things: Benson Gray has convinced me of the inaccuracies of the Old Town catalogues, and when they supplied Dicks with versions of their boats, there were frequent variations in color and outfitting. My 2010 Guide 119 (same as the Disco 119) was in camo, but the Disco 119 (not the Guide 119) appears in the 2010 catalogue in red or green only.

Many people detest the Angler-style seat and switch them out with a conventional hung seat, while others prefer the plastic bucket. You may find the bucket awkward without footpegs, folks tend to slide forward without them. Easy install.

My 2010 Guide 119 with a hung seat (the Old Town decals fell off after the first wash!):

DSC01810.JPG

The Old Town catalogs are only a rough indication of what the factory was producing at any given time. Most canoe builders will make almost anything that a customer is willing to pay for. I suspect that if Dick's Sporting Goods wanted to place a significant order for some canoes like yours then they would happily have built them, regardless of what may have been listed in the catalog that year. Build records from 2012 are not available so none of this can be easily confirmed. The dimensions are similar to the Discovery 119K from the 2003 catalog as others have mentioned and shown below.

Benson

1712159916220.png

Thanks everyone! I also posted this in a FB group and the consensus was as M Clemens said, an Old Town Guide 119.

I plan to replace the thwarts and add foot pegs. I'll give the seat couple of runs before I make a decision on it.

Back